Camera size no longer important? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old September 7th, 2015, 09:12 PM   #1
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 8,222
Camera size no longer important?

It seems that the general bride has now come to terms with the fact that bigger is not better any more ...we all seem to be using smaller cameras and the huge shoulder mount camera weighing in at 25lbs is no longer a pre-requisite for a professional wedding video. I have dropped down significantly in size over the years and brides and guests don't really seem to care anymore.

Has anyone found any issues with using smaller equipment and get a comment "Is that what you are using for my wedding?" I found even people are getting used to having a DSLR pointed at them and they realise it's video and don't pose for a photo!!

Gosh, in the old days if you didn't have a "TV station size" camera on your shoulder and a stills camera with a honking great tele lens up front, you were not considered a professional!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 12:59 AM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Brandon, England
Posts: 342
Re: Camera size no longer important?

Hi Chris,

With the proliferation of smart phone photos and video being seen (and seen to be taken) everywhere, I guess the future Mrs. thinks anyone with a proper camera, of whatever size, must be a pro.

Considering it's feasible, though not necessarily wholly practical, to cover an event with a pocketful of GoPros, in 4K at that if they're Black edition and especially if one or two have replacement lenses for longer shots, it's probably a good thing!

Your next downsize?

Dave
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 01:01 AM   #3
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Romsey, UK
Posts: 1,105
Re: Camera size no longer important?

A few years back when I showed the couple my camera gear at a pre-booking meeting, they were a little concerned and I had to explain in detail why my GH3 and GH2's were capable of obtaining Professional footage. I also use to occasionally get the Groom or male guests come over and comment on how technology is getting smaller these days, but haven't had that conversation for several year. I think so many shoot with DSLR's these days that its taken for granted. Even in the Corporate world, I'm finding acceptance of DSLR size camera. Mind most are ignorant of video. Photography though gets more snobbery, perhaps as more people have taken it up as a a hobby. A recent Wedding where the Photographer used what looked like an old fashioned film camera, but actually a more recent digital from Fuji, got a few comments from Guests particularly the hobbyist Photographers so he said, but he preferred the camera, so he let them pass.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 02:14 AM   #4
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 8,222
Re: Camera size no longer important?

I must admit that moving from a shoulder mount camera to a DSLR sized machine did make me wonder about whether guests or the couple might question the professionalism of the gear but no-one said anything...in fact I can count on one hand where even grooms have asked what we shoot with.

I actually saw another post elsewhere Steve regarding the guy with the "brownie" camera which is in fact a Fuji as you point out ...it looked like he was using a pop up flash only but in fact it was a full TTL flash that fits on the hot shoe. As long as the photog gets results so what? If you put a Sony A7 next to a 5DIII with a huge tele lens it also looks amateur but really who cares.

I used to have a photog friend who took all his cameras to a bridal interview and spent more time telling the bride how good they were instead of concentrating on what he was going to cover on the day!!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 02:26 AM   #5
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Posts: 9,064
Re: Camera size no longer important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Gosh, in the old days if you didn't have a "TV station size" camera on your shoulder and a stills camera with a honking great tele lens up front, you were not considered a professional!!
I think it's us videographers that are concerned about not being taken serious if we are using a small camera, wedding clients never have cared what gear you used and they are happy we are being so unobtrusive now, with the right small dslr/lens combo you don't need to add light and you can mingle in a group without being noticed, try doing that with a shoulder camera that has a big videolight on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding
Has anyone found any issues with using smaller equipment and get a comment "Is that what you are using for my wedding?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett
A few years back when I showed the couple my camera gear at a pre-booking meeting, they were a little concerned and I had to explain in detail why my GH3 and GH2's were capable of obtaining Professional footage.
My guess is that you get this comment because you show the gear first, right? :) I always show my demo's first and then show them the camera that produced it, I have been doing that to show why I am able to get so many shots of people behaving natural and being unaware they are being filmed. It's because of the size of the camera, the fact that they are so light sensitive so I can shoot from a distance without having to use any light and that the size of the camera has no impact on image quality is something they can see before I show my gear. The only reaction I get is like "wow, really?" I never had to defend my camerachoice to my clients, it only takes away any prejudice they might have of that obtrusive cameraguy sitting on their lap all day blinding them with his light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding
I found even people are getting used to having a DSLR pointed at them and they realise it's video and don't pose for a photo!!
My experience is totally the opposite, if they see me they very often pose, everyone thinks I"m taking photo's which I think is normal because I am carrying a photocamera.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 03:20 AM   #6
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Romsey, UK
Posts: 1,105
Re: Camera size no longer important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
My guess is that you get this comment because you show the gear first, right? :) .
Er wrong. They got my sample DVD and saw my videos on the Internet before meeting me. The Bride was into Photography, but the look on her face when I produced my GH3 was not a reassuring one. A sort of 'is that it' kind of look, with a touch of, 'couldn't you afford a proper camera'. We were having a good conversation before then, but she became a bit more hesitant in booking me after that reveal. After the meeting, I sent her some literature on DSLR filming, citing examples of use in TV's and Movies and after a few weeks she decided to book me. Bare in mind she travelled 90 minutes to meet me at home, so she was obviously keen. It was showing her those cameras that almost scuppered the booking. My only case mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
As long as the photog gets results so what? If you put a Sony A7 next to a 5DIII with a huge tele lens it also looks amateur but really who cares.
Problem for Photographers is the number of Guests who perhaps have an interest in Photography and the money to buy great gear. Okay we know that its more how you use the gear that matters, but if some guests start judging the Photographers camera, or feel its inferior to their own setup, its not always creating the right impression. Would be like a guest turning up with a C100 at a Wedding and frowning at my GH4.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 03:39 AM   #7
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Posts: 9,064
Re: Camera size no longer important?

Quote:
but she became a bit more hesitant in booking me after that reveal. After the meeting, I sent her some literature on DSLR filming, citing examples of use in TV's and Movies and after a few weeks she decided to book me.
I find that a weird attitude from that client, if your work is good, what does it matter what you use to shoot it on, if I would have a client that would be hesitant in booking me because of my gear I would suggest her to find someone else with a bigger camera.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 03:43 AM   #8
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: UK/Yorkshire
Posts: 2,066
Re: Camera size no longer important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post

Has anyone found any issues with using smaller equipment and get a comment "Is that what you are using for my wedding?"
Chris I had exactly this a few weeks back - almost to the word when the groom turned up and I was filming with my A7 - granted it looks dinky when teamed up with the Zeiss 24-70 which is physically a pretty small lens

A Little off topic Noa but you mention shooting with the GH4 a lot handheld - do you have a rig at all or is it simply just the camera?
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 03:48 AM   #9
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Posts: 9,064
Re: Camera size no longer important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post
but if some guests start judging the Photographers camera, or feel its inferior to their own setup, its not always creating the right impression. Would be like a guest turning up with a C100 at a Wedding and frowning at my GH4.
Would you be intimidated with a guest standing next to you with his c100 at a wedding while you are holding a gh4 with a 12mm? I wouldn't care less what people think of me, they can judge me on my work instead, I use a little handicam at the ceremony as my main camera standing in a position where everyone in the church can see me holding it, so what? :)
When you shoot corporate video I can understand a client would not appreciate you turning up with a little camera, especially when they pay a lot of money and that it would take a lot of convincing that it might not be about the size of the gear but weddings is totally different.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 03:49 AM   #10
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Posts: 9,064
Re: Camera size no longer important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
A Little off topic Noa but you mention shooting with the GH4 a lot handheld - do you have a rig at all or is it simply just the camera?
Always handheld with a stabilized 42,5mm without any rig, the only time I put it on a tripod is during the speeches.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 03:58 AM   #11
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Posts: 9,064
Re: Camera size no longer important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post
After the meeting, I sent her some literature on DSLR filming, citing examples of use in TV's and Movies and after a few weeks she decided to book me.
I never ever would do that, you are using the wrong reasons to convince a client. I only would show her more from my own work, if that doesn't convince her then I don't want to work for her.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 04:15 AM   #12
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Romsey, UK
Posts: 1,105
Re: Camera size no longer important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Would you be intimidated with a guest standing next to you with his c100 at a wedding while you are holding a gh4 with a 12mm? I wouldn't care less what people think of me, they can judge me on my work instead
Which is fine as long as they see the finished video. If they don't, then my work will be judged by how I work on the day, including the equipment I use. I'm not saying that you need a massive camera to appear Professional, and Weddings as you say are different to Corporate in expectations, but at a recent Wedding I had a Guest come up and shake me by the hand, having been impressed by how I worked that day, which I think is better for my Business image than being quietly mocked behind the scenes for small gear.

Now I'm pretty confident in my work and ability to deliver, but if a Guest did bring in a C100, I would certainly be mindful of the competition, which is something I rarely have shooting video. Intimidated, no, aware yes.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 04:23 AM   #13
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Romsey, UK
Posts: 1,105
Re: Camera size no longer important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I never ever would do that, you are using the wrong reasons to convince a client. I only would show her more from my own work, if that doesn't convince her then I don't want to work for her.
Well don't knock it, it worked, the Bride was grateful for the information and the Wedding went fine.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 04:32 AM   #14
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Posts: 9,064
Re: Camera size no longer important?

I have seen your work Peter which I find good and if a client would doubt you because of the camerasize then believe me she is not worth convincing, it's all about what you deliver, not what you use to deliver it on.

Quote:
Which is fine as long as they see the finished video. If they don't, then my work will be judged by how I work on the day, including the equipment I use.
Even if they don't see the video and lets say they get married and are looking for a videographer, they will ask the couple to know what their impression was and if they don't, then that's their bad luck :) I actually don't want to work for people that would doubt me because they don't see me setting up a few heavy duty tripods with shouldermount camera's and having a dedicated soundguy with a boompole.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 05:01 AM   #15
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Romsey, UK
Posts: 1,105
Re: Camera size no longer important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I actually don't want to work for people that would doubt me because they don't see me setting up a few heavy duty tripods with shouldermount camera's and having a dedicated soundguy with a boompole.
I don't think you need go that far to impress and in fact going that far could have the opposite reaction. Regardless of whether you feel its important or not, or whether its an issue or not, I'm sure our gear is judged by some at the Weddings we film. I agree we shouldn't let that affect our way of work nor worry about its quality, but just saying it happens and that how we're viewed as Professionals are based accordingly, as wrong as it is of course. Its not something that troubles me, just an observation pertinent to this thread.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:30 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network