DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Evening Wedding Party (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/529843-evening-wedding-party.html)

Peter Rush September 23rd, 2015 02:57 AM

Evening Wedding Party

I have a couple who booked me for the wedding and then changed their minds and got married abroad - they retained me however to film a party they are having when they get back.

Apart from a recreation of their first dance that's about it - just a party with drinks/dancing etc (although dancing never guaranteed) . I'm trying to think of ways of approaching it to make it a bit more interesting - I'm going to set a camera/mic/light up for guest messages but I'm a little stumped as to what else to do - any ideas?

Pete

Steve Bleasdale September 23rd, 2015 03:12 AM

Re: Evening Wedding Party

Hi tempo quick edit, venue shots mixed with tight reactions from bride n groom mingling with guests, mixed with messages mixed with high fast dancing arms legs feet reactions, any false wigs glasses, last one i did i handed props out. Faces of stars from amazon to get the party going. Any good props will do. Hopefully there will be dancing Pete, aim for props for the younger generation, they will have a go. Try to get reactions from anything you say to characters that are there.Look for nice lighting not cheap lighting from the DJ try get guests around then light. steve

Noa Put September 23rd, 2015 04:19 AM

Is the guestreaction recording something they requested as well or are you adding this because you feel you don't have enough content to provide them with a creative edit?

I would just cover something like this as it is, with enough headshots from guests, some steadicam shots of the venue, some details shots and the dancing, there is not much more you can do with this, especially if there are no speeches. We don't have to create masterpieces every single time, sometimes a simple straightforward coverage and edit will do as well.

Chris Harding September 23rd, 2015 04:43 AM

Hi Pete

I'm assuming you have met them? Whenever I get an enquiry about " we are just having a party" they always turn out to be Middle Eastern and an absolute nightmare to shoot ..expect double what you give them and want to pay half your price!!

If they are on the level it will be a tricky one so what I call the "video guestbook" is a good idea to fill in the spaces... otherwise go around the tables so they know who was there and assuming there will be no "normal" wedding events like the cake, bouquet, garter and speeches you are stuck hopefully with a fair amount of dancing. If you can find a quiet spot maybe try for a few in-depth interviews with close family???

Because you are not going to have a lot to shoot get a black drop, buy some cheap photo booth props and take a still camera with you .. we do a booth at almost every wedding!!

Peter Rush September 23rd, 2015 05:01 AM

Yes i've met them both - it's just a knees up really with a recreation of their first dance - I offered to throw in video messages as it will pad the edit out nicely - thanks for the tips guys - it's this weekend - I think they have a photobooth already which is good - always fun to film!

I might pin the B&G down and get them to talk about their wedding day.

Roger Gunkel September 23rd, 2015 06:00 AM

Hi Pete,

I've done a few of thes over the years, and If they are getting married abroad, I always ask them if they are going to bring back any video of their ceremony and holiday. Even if it is on DVD and lower quality you can still lift it off and re-edit if neccesary. They love to be able to see their actual wedding and the party all on the same DVD and you can still give a credit to the original ceremony videographer which also gives you a get out if the original footage is not very good.

Roger

Peter Rush September 23rd, 2015 12:19 PM

They have a set of photos Roger so i'm going to run them through proshow and include it as an extra chapter