Big upgrade wedding camera - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 1st, 2015, 06:50 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Big upgrade wedding camera

I have a C100 mk1 (having previously had a Sony PD170 and various Canon dslrs). It's a great camera and pretty easy to use and get great results. It's only down sides are the LCD and the VF which are not the best. The ABB (black balance) is very important on this camera and it's a bit tedious and time consuming. Otherwise it's fantastic.
I'd buy the C100 mk2 before the mk1 even considering the price difference.
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 08:59 AM   #17
Regular Crew

hi there. so...a wedding/event camera that is easier to set up but also gives cinematic look?
well..couldn't find the perfect one so I have two different ones...
A Canon XF300 for events (similar than my old XHA1s but better picture quality and with the RIGHT pic preset-noise reduction etc) MUCH MUCH better than my XHA1s. May not be as good in low light as a cinematic camera but is really good. Maybe a Sony XDCAM would be better but I like Canon so I got a Canon (3 years ago)..but for those moments when cinematic etc is needed then I use a Canon C100 mk2 with either a sigma 18-35mm f1.8 or even the stock lens 18-135mm- which is awesome with the C100 mk2 even at 6000 ISO...no problem at all...but I searched the internet for pic presets and they all include some noise reduction adjusment. These cameras cannot be used with their default pic presets (well..maybe the C100 mk2 with the Wide DR which is awesome)..
so there..no one solution exists yet...
Sure I may have paid too much for the C100 mk2 -now that the Sony FS5 is coming out but it works for me really well. I have done a complete wedding with it and I had some moments where the XF300 would have made life a little easier but the shots I got with the C100 made it all worth it...
but for some events (live concerts with stage lights or ceremonies that are really hectic)-my XF300 saves the day...
that's my experience and I don't see upgrading my cameras for a few years...
damn 4K! or 6K or whatever K comes my way!
E
wow!

Last edited by Erick Perdomo; October 1st, 2015 at 09:01 AM. Reason: wrong camera model
Erick Perdomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 11:48 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
but for some events (live concerts with stage lights or ceremonies that are really hectic)-my XF300 saves the day...
I have found out that shooting in 4K has saved the day for me more then once shooting ceremonies, after a year of 4K shooting and editing on a 1080p timeline the crop ability has become invaluable for me as a solo shooter. Some examples can be getting a unwanted subject, like myself or the photog, out of the frame on a unmanned camera, or re-framing a shot from a unmanned camera because I didn't have enough time to frame it exactly right. I can point the camera at a lectern and leave it fixed the entire ceremony and reframe depending on how tall the persons are that are reading from that position without ever touching the camera and that all without any visual quality loss compared to my other 1080p camera's. This enables me to move around freely with a second camera and deal with framing in post on my unmanned camera.

I also recorded a stage performance last year with a fixed 4K camera set wide to see the entire stage, it proved to be more valuable then my 2nd manned 1080p camera because if I made a mistake or was not able to follow the action fast enough I could simply switch to the 4k one, zoom in post and let it take over with equally good results.

If you have not shot and used a 4K camera in this way, you don't know what you are missing. Something to consider if you buy a new camera, if you shoot alone and if you plan on shooting with 2 or more camera's.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques