It finally happened that someone...... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 2nd, 2015, 01:00 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: It finally happened that someone......

Quote:
I made my mark and my money in the game, now it's time to enjoy the fruits of that labor.
I think it's important to enjoy the fruits of life every single day and not wait until you retire, my uncle retired years ago, sick and tired of his 9 to 5 job and finally able to enjoy life and a year later he dies of cancer.
I"m happy for you that you enjoy your retirement but I find it more important to enjoy whatever I"m doing, if you don't enjoy what you are doing in life you are wasting a lot of precious time.

Quote:
BTW, retirement doesn't take age...it takes money! Don't knock it 'til you try it!
I am retired and longer then you have been :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 01:10 PM   #17
Trustee

Ah Don, you and I are quite different. I hate cruises, I hate standing still for any length of time or being cooped up, even on a large ship. When I go on Holidays I prefer long walks; my last was a few weeks back, around Hastings. Couple of 20 mile walks amongst some rather lovely open countryside is how I relax; can't do that on some fancy ship - well you can walk the deck like a hundred times I suppose, but nah, not the same.

Even if I won the lottery, I'd still do Weddings; perhaps I'd be more picky and do a helluva lot less, but I'd still take bookings. Sure there are frustrations and the deadlines can be a real pain at times, but I enjoy it in a twisted sort of way. I wouldn't have quit my University job if I didn't.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 01:11 PM   #18
Major Player

I have yet to see a selfie stick at a wedding here.

Semi-related, one of my primary second shooters just built a carbon fiber jib for a GoPro.... it's a 30' jib. Yes 30' jib from pivot point! For those places where we can't fly a drone. lol

Super light jib and sets up in 10 minutes.

He used it last weekend at the top of Lookout mountain in Chattanooga TN to film a proposal or something, hanging it down the side of the mountain to that area where the outside waterfall kind of is.

It could double as the ultimate selfie stick. lol

Last edited by Kyle Root; October 2nd, 2015 at 01:12 PM. Reason: more
Kyle Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 01:29 PM   #19
Inner Circle

I think these selfie sticks will only gain more popularity, everyone is into taking snapshots and post them on facebook while they are at a wedding, I see more of these signs on the venue tables with a hashtag word for facebook so people can upload all their pictures making it easy to find back. Such a selfie stick makes it easier to create more distance and have more people in view. I also have seen them with a smarthphone attached. Every guest is a videographer and photographer at a wedding, we just need to make sure that our footage looks better then theirs :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 01:41 PM   #20
Trustee

To be honest, I'm less bothered by them than I am about the blasted Ipads and Tablets. Having those pop out in a cramped aisle to block my view of the couple as they begin their walk can really piss you off at times. Selfie sticks - well if they must. Hardly a threat to my filming apart from the odd shot they appear in, but rarely for me anything crucial like the aisle shot.

Most people take photos and frankly any video that is shot by guests tend to look like shit. I speak from experience using my own smartphone to do video. I know there are dedicated Video guys out there producing professional videos with smartphones, but I imagine they have professional rigs to achieve it.
Old October 2nd, 2015, 03:12 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I feel bad for those that hate shooting weddings that much, I at least have enjoyed it a lot until my bad back took a part of that joy out, it's like Steve says that there are much worse jobs and even with some of the frustration I have to deal with every wedding, the appreciation I get from my clients for the time I put into it makes it all worth it. I don't feel I have wasted any years doing weddings and if I eventually will stop doing them I certainly will miss it.
I am praying for the day I am able to give up my current job to shoot weddings, it's hard work and hassle for sure, but providing an end product that brings tears to my clients eyes is so satisfying.
Old October 26th, 2015, 10:23 AM   #22
Regular Crew

I had a similar situation. In July, I was shooting a wedding when I noticed this clown running around with a camera on a monopod. He wasn't with the photog's crew and he DEFINITELY wasn't with me, but was following me trying to get the 'money shots' and frequently in the way. But what REALLY ticked me off is that he bumped one of my static cameras and when he did, the camera turned enough to miss the bride's father handing her off to the groom. The couple was disappointed in this but I explained THAT'S why we tell "non-pros" to stay out of the way, and that it's the couple's responsibility--along with the wedding planner--to make sure these kinds of things don't happen. There were also selfie sticks and other assorted smart devices, tablets, etc., but I could work around them. That said, there's always one idiot there that takes liberties he/she shouldn't, and when the contracted footage gets compromised by these buffoons, guess who gets blamed.

Like Don, I'm also a bit "north" of 40, but I've become more choosy about weddings, and in the first 30 seconds of an interview, I can tell whether I want to take the job...or not.
Rule #1: Don't sweat the small stuff. Rule #2: It's ALL small stuff!

Last edited by Terry Wall; October 26th, 2015 at 10:25 AM. Reason: typos
Terry Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 10:34 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wall View Post
I had a similar situation. In July, I was shooting a wedding when I noticed this clown running around with a camera on a monopod. He wasn't with the photog's crew and he DEFINITELY wasn't with me, but was following me trying to get the 'money shots' and frequently in the way. But what REALLY ticked me off is that he bumped one of my static cameras and when he did, the camera turned enough to miss the bride's father handing her off to the groom. The couple was disappointed in this but I explained THAT'S why we tell "non-pros" to stay out of the way, and that it's the couple's responsibility--along with the wedding planner--to make sure these kinds of things don't happen. There were also selfie sticks and other assorted smart devices, tablets, etc., but I could work around them. That said, there's always one idiot there that takes liberties he/she shouldn't, and when the contracted footage gets compromised by these buffoons, guess who gets blamed.

Like Don, I'm also a bit "north" of 40, but I've become more choosy about weddings, and in the first 30 seconds of an interview, I can tell whether I want to take the job...or not.

So who was he, just a friend of the couple trying to break into wedding videography?? That would tick me off.

Last edited by David Barnett; October 26th, 2015 at 04:14 PM.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 01:33 PM   #24
Major Player

When anyone/anything gets my frame, I just leave it in there, nope, no editing it out anymore. I will not be frustrated as I was in the past arguing with the maitre'd's enormous posterior when he cuts the cake for the couple (as if they can't cut their own piece themselves), or when a kid pops up and down waving his hands inches away from the lens, or when them iPads litter the aisle, or when the DJ's lights cast polka dots/blue lasers/smoke effects. Nope, I am too old for this kind of s%$t. I don't give a r&%s ass about making a perfect video or making the bride go to tears. I have complete control over the editing and THERE WILL BE NO RE-EDITS, period. I love the lazy approach. Now many there are going to fully disagree with me but I have been nice over the years, I wasted lots of time and effort trying to make everyone happy but in the long run( for me) it ain't worth it. I have another 6 weddings to go before the new year rings in after which I will only do the ones I am committed to for 2016. After that I don't want to see a white dress or limo or maitre'd or any DJ for that matter.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 03:57 PM   #25
Trustee

Arthur, woah there. No need for the over reaction. I'm sure most here wouldn't argue with much of what you say. My approach is simple, I'm not trying to capture my inner vision or any such nonsence, just film what I see to the best of my ability and equipment available to me. I've never had any objections to any lights the dj cast, not once. Why, its how it looks. Kids interfering, well its a nuisance but part of the fun with Weddings. I had 1 young girl, about 7 I think wanting to help me with my jib. She had great fun with it, though carefully supervised by me. You take it in your stride and don't stress over it. Live events are unpredictable and kids will be kids.

My only concern is if the couple object such as a crying child in a Service. If its their kid, I breath a sigh of relief, they'll accept that. Someone else's kid and I've got a request to tone the kids cries down. Extra work for me. The tablets are a nuisance, but they're there to stay and whilst I push for an unplugged Wedding, I can't force it. As long as I get enough beauty shots for the highlights video, my business reputation is intact.
Old October 26th, 2015, 04:36 PM   #26
Major Player

I used to be stressed a while back like 20 years ago, trying to make great videos without any unwanted characters and things in them but I realized over time that for the price the clients wanted to pay ( and they had to compromise for that price) it was not worth the aggravation/arguments/stress/ with those involved in making /adding misery to my video by correcting or attempting to correct what was not caused by me but by the incompetence/lack of consideration of others involved. I go over my contract in minute detail with the client and even talk to the DJ before he does his thing as well as the maitre'd including the limo driver, priest, pastor, officiant, wedding planner, and all who are in the position of authority. Sure, I can always charge more for a more thorough editing and explain to the client that they must pay extra for that extra level of expertise but they ( or most of them) simply won't pay for that extra. They are mostly on a tight budget and many would not even have considered video at all had they not been referred by their friends. I make, actually made a living with the budget minded clients.
They know exactly what they'll be getting for the price they pay, not more not less.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 05:18 PM   #27
Inner Circle

I'm just like you Arthur ... if you are in my frame then you are in my wedding video. I must admit last Sunday I was doing speeches and a woman with an iPad was trying to film behind me so I made sure I was very much in her video. I still cannot figure why they have to use the darn device though complete with bright red leatherette case and key board which shows up a lot more prominently than just a plain black iPad.

If I happen to be shooting cutaways (like in the ceremony and speeches) I will try to cover a shot where someone walks in front of the camera but if not it just stays there and brides don't seem to complain either!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 06:46 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Arthur and Chris.....BRAVO! I wish there was a "like" button. I felt the same way especially in the last 10 years I did weddings.
It's been about 2 years for me NOT doing weddings or any kind of work and you know what....I don't miss it. I realize it was the right time for me to retire. Now I just need to sell off the rest of my gear and take some more cruises!
0|0
\--/
Old October 26th, 2015, 10:58 PM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
Arthur and Chris.....BRAVO!
\--/
It finally happened that someone.... said BRAVO to apathy. :)
Old October 27th, 2015, 04:28 AM   #30
Inner Circle

It's not apathy, it's reality tv :-)

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques