Greek wedding at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 6th, 2015, 04:45 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Greek wedding

That's it, I"m moving to Greece. I had my first Greek Orthodox wedding a while back where the ceremony was acc to Greek tradition, I had no idea what to expect and the couple was a bit vague on what to expect, they only said the priest probably would be doing the talking and no-one would come up front to say anything. There was a lot of maybe's and I think so or I don't know and to me it looked they had not been at a Greek ceremony themselves, weird.

So I arrange to arrive in church early, I ask the priest if I supply a recorder with lav on him and he is ok with that but looks a bit surprised, I ask him where I"m allowed to stand and everywhere is ok except behind the altar. I set up my camera's and wait for the couple to arrive.

The priest waits for the couple to arrive and leads them into the church and starts chanting non stop for a full hour, the main highlights are the betrothal, the crowning, the blessing, a shared drink and the first steps (I just looked that part up for the right names :)) but that's maybe 10 minutes of the entire ceremny and the rest is the priest chanting.

By far the easiest ceremony I ever had to shoot and edit, I cannot imagine the couple wants to see the entire cerremony, if I ever have to shoot this again I just will concentrate on the important moments.

The guests where also moving to the sides of the altar to take a picture and where blocking my main camera often so that was a bit hectic but I don't think the couple will mind.

I"m going to specialize in Greek weddings now :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 05:12 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Greek wedding

Noa, quick off topic question since I know you use Edius (I think?) - does it not have it's own multicam audio sync option? You have to use PluralEyes yea? Playing around with it - not convinced!
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 05:28 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I read that pluraleyes was available as a plugin for edius but don't think that's the case with edius 8 anymore, not sure about it. I do all my syncing manually.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 07:29 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes, Greek Orthodox weddings are really easy, I've only done a few but I like them. The couples I've worked with are also super nice, especially the brides. The guys don't seem to care about anything and the brides seem to be very easygoing.
Old October 6th, 2015, 09:49 AM   #5
Trustee

Jeff,

After all these years I still laugh every time I read your signature. But after I chuckle I feel a pang in my gut about the reality of the statement. I think it is one of those "you would have had to have been there to get it kind of things" ;-) ;-) ;-)

Steve
Old October 6th, 2015, 01:20 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Steven, I forget about my signature line, but upon re-reading it I laughed also. We can thank Chris Hurd for it. He saw it in one of my posts and he suggested it as a signature line.

You're right, when that "horror" happens it's not funny at all!
Old October 6th, 2015, 07:38 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Noa

Yeah they are easy and over here they always have their back to the guests so you shoot in reverse from the altar side so no guests block any shot and we just mic the priest only as the couple say nothing! Very easy to do!!!

Massadonian weddings here are much the same where you only mic the priest too. The ones I do locally the priest is really helpful and during the ring ceremony he actually calls you over to take video and photo posed shots ... didn't understand any of the language but it was as easy as a Greek one!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques