DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Light diffuser sheet (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/530032-light-diffuser-sheet.html)

Peter Rush October 14th, 2015 05:23 AM

Light diffuser sheet

Can anone point me to a UK supplier? - I've lost both clip-on diffusers for my LED lights and cannot seem to get spares (chinese LED-5080) so I'll cut down a sheet and tape it on - just as good

Pete

Roger Van Duyn October 14th, 2015 06:03 AM

Re: Light diffuser sheet

You could use a "Tupperware" container as the source for your translucent plastic. They come in various shapes and sizes. They are pretty easy to cut too. LEDs don't get very hot, but I'd still select a Tupperware style container that's usable for heating foods in the microwave. In the U.S. there's a symbol stamped on the bottom showing microwave safe...

I've got several in my cupboard already. Your cupboard might have some too.

Come to think of it, some of the containers in my cupboard have translucent blue lids, translucent orange lids. Hmmmm. I wonder???

If I ever lose the diffuser or clip on filter for one of my lights, might need to try it myself. Still might try it just for kicks.

Jack Walsh October 14th, 2015 06:22 AM

Plastic milk bottles, here in Australia!
They have a textured finish, and work very well.

Chris Harding October 14th, 2015 08:35 AM

That's weird Pete

I have lost both of the barn doors on my 5010 but the diffuser has remained there without issue. Another idea would be a nice piece of clear 1/8" Perspex sheet, cut to size (you might even be able to fashion a clip too) .. Before it goes on, toss it in the sink full of water and use a sheet of 1200 grit waterproof abrasive paper on it and you will get a perfectly semi opaque finish to suit. It's very even too! I used the same method on a clear CD once to form an imaging screen for a DOF adapter. Because the Perspex is flat and cannot bend you also won't get any weird refraction issues!!

Peter Rush October 14th, 2015 10:43 AM

Milk carton - Genius! - have made 2 and am now happily ready for Friday's wedding :)

Jack Walsh October 15th, 2015 04:16 AM

Our 2 Litre, "or quart in US" ones fìt just nice on most lights.
Attatched with velcro buttons.

Diego Cervo October 15th, 2015 05:55 AM

brilliant!
I will definitely try out milk containers.
Thanks for sharing.

Phil Stanley October 20th, 2015 07:36 AM

Shower curtains can work, I have used them many times as a diffuser for stills

Kyle Root October 20th, 2015 11:52 AM

I've used that tissue paper that you use in like gift bags and such before... will have too look into the Tupperware and milkjug ideas. haha.

David Barnett October 20th, 2015 04:20 PM

I have a Bescor 70W on camera light & it came with the daylight/flourescent clear & an amber/tungsten colored plastic. Unfortunately I lost the amber/tungsten & some reception venues (wood) really need tthat hue. In a pinch I stopped at Staples and picked something like these up:

Avery® Slash Pocket Insertable Tab Dividers, 8-Tab | Staples®

(Those old school notebook dividers which were colored but see thru). Was a bit too translucent though, myb I should try it double layered. Would be cool gels if it worked as they come in multiple colors.

Paul R Johnson October 21st, 2015 12:42 AM

Or just go to the Lee Filter site and look in lighting. Loads of useful stuff sold by the sheet. LEE Filters - Masters of light

Arthur Gannis October 21st, 2015 11:41 AM

What I used when prototyping my on-camera video lights was a 1ft. square plexiglas or Lexan transparent sheet. Easy to cut, you just have to score it deep with a sharp object using a ruler. Then, I would get sandpaper, wet it a little and rub in one direction. The more you rub the more it would diffuse the light and the less transparent it would become and the more light output you will lose. I would rub a little at first and adjust to taste by rubbing more. I would make a spare just in case you lose it. The panels usually go for less than $5 USD,

Pete Cofrancesco October 21st, 2015 12:14 PM

An old photographer trick for flash diffusion is a sheet of fabric softerner used in the dryer. Has the advantage of being very light.

Don Bloom October 21st, 2015 01:34 PM

Amazon has 20X24 inch sheets of Tough Spun as well as rolls of it for very good prices and in varying thicknesses. Industry Standard.