Dragging a stabilizer along to the photoshoot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 24th, 2015, 04:10 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Dragging a stabilizer along to the photoshoot

As we all know time is precious between the ceremony ending and the wedding breakfast beginning (in western weddings anyway) espeically when the bride is late (more than ever 20 - 30 minutes late this year) I hardly ever get chance to get 'my time' with the couple so have to tag along with the tog shooting around his setups with maybe a few brief moments to set my own up.

What I find is that it's a real hassle to drag along the steadicam, putting it down, picking it up, moving from one spot to another and film along the way etc. etc. and in the end I tend to quite often not use it at all if there's not enough time.

I suppose this is aimed at solo shooters but in this situation do you (like I do) take your main camera plus a stabilizer/camera setup or do you film everything you need with a camera attached to a stabilizer and then 'fly' when the opportunity arises?

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 04:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Dragging a stabilizer along to the photoshoot

I have always limited the use of my blackbird to the venue starting at the reception, since all my gear is then in one place and I stay at that location untill just after the first dance I have plenty of opportunity to use it during keymoments. The rest of the day including the photoshoot is all mainly handheld or tripod, just because there is no time to use it, because it's just too much hassle to drag along with me while on the move and because it's too sensitive to wind making it difficult to impossible to use outside.

The last weddings I did this year however I took my new beholder 3 axis gimbal with me and that one got much more use throughout the day, it was small enough to fit in a small shoulderbag and it can be used in windy conditions.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 02:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
As we all know time is precious between the ceremony ending and the wedding breakfast beginning (in western weddings anyway)...
Pete
It's sentences like that that make me think we should have additional sub-forums for UK as opposed to USA weddings. I have never in my life heard the term "wedding breakfast." I'm assuming this is connected to why those suits worn by all the fellows in Four Weddings & a Funeral are called "Morning Suits."
Bob Drummond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 03:12 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Drummond View Post
It's sentences like that that make me think we should have additional sub-forums for UK as opposed to USA weddings. I have never in my life heard the term "wedding breakfast." I'm assuming this is connected to why those suits worn by all the fellows in Four Weddings & a Funeral are called "Morning Suits."
Apparently in ages past, people got married first thing in the morning, before breakfast. Hence their first meal after marriage was called the Wedding breakfast. Alas it stuck and now gets used when breakfast has long since past in the day.

As for the stabiliser, my glidecam went unused as I never could get the hang of it I'm not proud to admit. My gimbal though has worked charms. So easy to set up and I can get it up and running in a minute if pushed. I don't approach too often on the photo shoot. In the past, my primes and a monopod were my tools of choice. Occasionally I brought out the slider if it was set up at the right time. Very occasionally though. I'm sure I'll bring the gimbal into the photo shoot for 1 Wedding soon enough as for Reception footage, its becoming my go to tool of choice.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 02:22 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hey Pete

I limit mine to a romantic video shoot with just the bride and groom directly after the group photos ..then I put it away. On the odd occasion where we are not doing the photography, photogs don't mind giving me 10 minutes with the couple after formals ... Usually we do the photos too so we can dictate when the video shoot happens but usually my photog takes the bridal party for fun photos and I do the stedicam couple shoot so it works out well. I used to do bride arrival on the rig as well as some reception venue stuff but don't do it any more!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 07:10 AM   #6
Trustee

Hey Pete, i use mine as soon as we hit reception and i use it as a glide cam for motion walking shots and then i have a holster belt that the glide cam sits snug on my belt and then i use it like a mini mono pod looking through the z-finder or i may have the 70d on there as its amazing for auto focus on the glide.
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 07:52 AM   #7
Inner Circle

What's your lens of choice on the 70d when flying steve? I'm still looking for a good dedicated steadicam camera for my merlin and considered the 70D because of it's good AF but sadly no 1080 50p - now the 7D however has the same AF system and 1080 50p - may look into that further - I have a 5D3 gathering dust that I might trade down for a 7D - interesting! I am sort of stuck with Canon however as all my glass is Canon - not sure if that's a good thing :/

Last edited by Peter Rush; October 25th, 2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old October 25th, 2015, 09:52 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
What's your lens of choice on the 70d when flying steve? I'm still looking for a good dedicated steadicam camera for my merlin and considered the 70D because of it's good AF but sadly no 1080 50p - now the 7D however has the same AF system and 1080 50p - may look into that further - I have a 5D3 gathering dust that I might trade down for a new 7D - interesting!
That focusing system is wonderful and will spoil you rotten. You'll need STM lenses, though, to get the most from it. STM lenses will focus slowly and smoothly rather than herky-jerky, causing shaking and vibration like most lenses.

As for stabilizers, I eventually quit using mine. It was just one more thing to carry. Instead, I've gotten used to just using the tripod with its legs short. The extra weight helps smooth me out. I can use it like a stabilizer, monopod, or tripod.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 11:08 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I'm one of those crazy people that still steadicams as much as makes sense. Although, I've started to just tripod the speeches. I still tripod the ceremony and post pictures, but like Chris, if and when I get time with the couple, I still use my scout. Yeah, it's big and clunky, but it works for me. And yep, I can do most of the line dances with it as well. Although that new "whip and nae nae song " is still a little new.

There's atleast two of us shooting, so that's my perspective.
Old October 25th, 2015, 11:45 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
What's your lens of choice on the 70d when flying steve? I'm still looking for a good dedicated steadicam camera for my merlin and considered the 70D because of it's good AF but sadly no 1080 50p - now the 7D however has the same AF system and 1080 50p - may look into that further - I have a 5D3 gathering dust that I might trade down for a 7D - interesting! I am sort of stuck with Canon however as all my glass is Canon - not sure if that's a good thing :/
I have the 17-55 2.8, but maybe the cheaper stm lens that Robert is saying, i have to say he is right i am spoilt rotten, nothing will ever change my 70d its awesome as the yanks say...
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 04:55 AM   #11
Inner Circle

STM lenses sound great but limited choice - a short zoom such as 10-18mm is 4.5 - 5.6 so limits it pretty much for outdoors work - there is a 24mm f2.8 but I like a little wider angle for flying.
Old October 26th, 2015, 05:28 AM   #12
Trustee

Well the 17-55 2.8 is a cracker Pete I have a rode on mine and it's not so bad but on the glide I generally cut music over so you will not here the motor
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques