Your Favorite 2015 Wedding Film - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 16th, 2015, 09:04 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Your Favorite 2015 Wedding Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Atkins View Post
I love that veil shot! I'm guessing you had some help with someone dropping it as you did a slider shot and then reversed the clip?
Hi Ian,

Yes exactly! But I was on a steadicam.
Julius Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 07:25 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Latimer View Post
Out of curiosity, is there a big reason why you refuse to throw in the shot of the day?
I guess I've always felt that this was a tactic - and a marketing technique to grab attention of potential new clients.

I always tried not to follow that trend for the sake of getting more business, but preferred to give my clients a copy of the day unfolding as it actually unfolded.

When you see the bride in the dress for the first time should be th same as the first time on the day.

Why show the finished article, and then show the clips of getting ready.

It just never made sense to me.

But perhaps it's just preference.
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 12:29 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive McLaughlin View Post
I guess I've always felt that this was a tactic - and a marketing technique to grab attention of potential new clients.

I always tried not to follow that trend for the sake of getting more business, but preferred to give my clients a copy of the day unfolding as it actually unfolded.

When you see the bride in the dress for the first time should be th same as the first time on the day.

Why show the finished article, and then show the clips of getting ready.

It just never made sense to me.

But perhaps it's just preference.
Great! Thanks for giving some insight in to how you work!
Daniel Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 01:00 PM   #19
Major Player

This is one of my favorites from this year:

It was raining most of the day so we didn't get too many exterior shots, but we were able to find some interesting shots inside the church. The reception was held in an art museum which was a great place to shoot.
Michael Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2015, 08:55 AM   #20
Major Player

Nice work, Michael! You definitely captured the spirit of their day, and I appreciated their vows at the start of the film too!

Looking forward to seeing more films from everyone!
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2015, 04:23 AM   #21
New Boot

This is my favourite...

I enjoyed it because not a lot about this day was "typical".

I shoot solo, I keep gear to a minimum, this is my 5th year I believe, hopefully not too many to go! :)
Stevan Ostojic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2015, 11:48 AM   #22
Major Player

Stevan, I ilke that one a lot. Nice job!
Daniel Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2015, 10:46 PM   #23
Major Player

Stevan, great job! What did you use to grade your footage?
Michael Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2015, 08:38 AM   #24
Major Player

Yeah nice job on the color grading. Pretty ballsy edit, do you know the couple, or do you edit all your weddings that way, or did you talk with them & they were ok with letting you do what you wanted with it? Seemed like a bit of an eclectic wedding so it fit pretty well.

Out of curiosity, why did you say " hopefully not too many to go! :)". Are you not all that into wedding videography?
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2015, 05:19 PM   #25
New Boot

Thank you Daniel!

Michael Silverman, it was graded using the Premiere CC15 Lumetri Panel, I tweaked one of the film stocks from memory. Grading is one of those things I'm not very comfortable with and feel like I could spend months learning to do properly.

David, what about it do you find ballsy, out of curiousity? It was one of those fortunate occasions where the couple let me have free reign with it, we talked about some of the elements prior - ie their wedding was going to be a suprise (to most of the guests), it was going to be upbeat and fun, she was going to wear a black dress, venues were going to be somewhat industrial. They wanted it to be "them" and they didn't want it to be formal. So we agreed early on that the edit would be upbeat and fast paced.

I have my days where I would like to move on to something else. I enjoy it less and less as time goes on, I work more hours then I would like, so it's a constant battle between business and family life. Perhaps I'm overdue for a break to re-charge, another topic for another day :)
Old December 1st, 2015, 08:18 PM   #26
Major Player

Didn't mean it in a bad way, just the style & moreso the use of multi-scene edits, if I'm describing that right. Having the lower half one shot, with the upper half split 50/50 of two other scenes. It's a really cool effect, and way to edit, I was just wondering if the couple was expecting the edit that way. Maybe all your videos are that way so they knew it going in, although in your post you seem to mention they were pretty chill about letting you do your thing. It was meant as a term of endearment nonetheless.

Yeah, I can imagine how much time in editing you must do with coloring/editing on just that video alone. That's something that bugs me in that couples never seem to understand the hours spent on the back end, Try and enjoy the wintertime off & offseason, and get right back at it next year if you want. Cool video tho.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2015, 10:18 PM   #27
New Boot

Thanks David. Yeah I know you didn't mean it in a negative way, I was just wondering which bit you thought was ballsy, I thougth perhaps you meant the pacing :) The split screens etc, it's something I've been doing for a while so they expect it, good way for me to cram more stuff into a short video, crop particular shots and make them usable, etc :)
Old December 8th, 2015, 02:06 AM   #28
Regular Crew

My favorite this season:

Honorable mention goes to one where we got to go up in a helicopter for photos. Perks of the job!
Steven Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 05:50 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevan Ostojic View Post
This is my favourite... Jaryd + Sophie - Highlight Film on Vimeo

I enjoyed it because not a lot about this day was "typical".

I shoot solo, I keep gear to a minimum, this is my 5th year I believe, hopefully not too many to go! :)
Enjoyed it good job there, may I ask what your gear is as you say you keep it to a minimum
Old December 29th, 2015, 02:59 PM   #30
Major Player

Hello everyone!

Can't recall the last time i was here but its nice to see some familiar names still here.

Here is our favorite film via Canada!

Cheers!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques