On camera light for a hater? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 23rd, 2015, 03:40 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: On camera light for a hater?

I use the Rotolight Neos. Extremely soft light that looks gorgeous. I'd definitely recommend them. The only downside is that you have to keep re-tightening them every 15 minutes or so, as they tend to come a little loose on the hotshoe - might just be my unit though.
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 11:34 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Though not cheap at $280, the Cineroid L10C-VC might be the smallest light with the most output. It's bi-color and uses Sony batteries. Though I don't keep mine on top of the camera, I've brought one around for all sorts of lighting uses for a few years now.

It's tiny, like 3x3 inches tiny, about 1 inch deep. Comes with a little diffuser.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1053640-REG/cineroid_l10c_vc_vc_led_light.html
Here's a newsshooter review of the older daylight version - Cineroid L10C-5K LED light mini review
Slavik Boyechko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 04:15 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Love my Comer 1800, but I've been wanting to buy a Comer 900 to lighten my load. The 1800 is an amazing light but so heavy with the battery, and it makes my camera top heavy.

Bob, I would suggest the Comer 900 for you. It's lightweight enough and very effective.

I admit the Cineroid looks tempting, however.
Old January 27th, 2016, 03:45 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Check out the 'Neewer' LED dimable lights on Amazon. That's what I use and I really like them. dimable, you can use 'AA's or I use a Sony battery- they usually come with adapters for a couple different battery types, has a shoe mount with a 1/4 20 thread in case you want to screw it on a stand in stead of on camera, and it has a little slip in diffusion and also a couple different colors to put in front of the light. The best part, I think I paid $40 for the one I use.
Cole Prine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2016, 04:37 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Prine View Post
Check out the 'Neewer' LED dimable lights on Amazon. That's what I use and I really like them. dimable, you can use 'AA's or I use a Sony battery- they usually come with adapters for a couple different battery types, has a shoe mount with a 1/4 20 thread in case you want to screw it on a stand in stead of on camera, and it has a little slip in diffusion and also a couple different colors to put in front of the light. The best part, I think I paid $40 for the one I use.
They're around $30 right now. I've had a few and there have been...durability issues.

That said, I just ordered another one AND a Polaroid 18 Super Bright Macro SMD LED Ring Flash & Light ($70). I'm going to try a few things with these (they arrive Friday).

First test will be Saturday with a B&G pre-interview (how did you meet, etc) as fill lights, hair light, etc.

During a wedding day I thought good for macro/detail shots. Will try it during 1st dance like off-camera flash photogs do - one light on stand opposite side, one on camera. The fact that even the ring flash/light is dimmable might make it useful.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2016, 04:48 PM   #21
Inner Circle

There are probably dozens of variations/brands of the Neweer light, such as Robert's Polaroid. For the cost they are great. Cheaply made, but they work.
Old January 28th, 2016, 01:03 PM   #22
Major Player

I just purchased one of these to make my travel kit "smaller".

Robot Check

Does anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.amazon.com/Lume-Cube/b/re...-bin=Lume+Cube
Ed Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2016, 03:34 PM   #23
Inner Circle

They look very interesting, but battery life could be an issue for me. 20 minutes at full brightness would require me to have a few of them, and the small light source would seem to be too intense for wedding work unless you're using from a good distance. But I admit they look cool.
Old May 28th, 2016, 05:43 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Comer 1800...
Amazing light,versatile.
Old May 28th, 2016, 10:20 AM   #25
Inner Circle

I now use the Comer light on light stand. The spot filter (Condenser lens) is really awesome. There is a trick, if you leave it open about 1/4" It will project a really strong narrow beam.. For a battery operated camera, that's crazy :)

Old May 31st, 2016, 12:19 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McKenna View Post
I use the Rotolight Neos. Extremely soft light that looks gorgeous. I'd definitely recommend them. The only downside is that you have to keep re-tightening them every 15 minutes or so, as they tend to come a little loose on the hotshoe - might just be my unit though.
It's not just you! The little rubber contact near the screw also popped out of mine after I had to tighten it again. I find the Neo's are great lights, very soft and not blinding, but poorly designed at times. For instance I have to remove a battery when placing in my bag as the power button is so easily pressed!
Nathan Buck is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques