New Year's Resolution? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 11th, 2016, 02:16 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: New Year's Resolution?

Clive I'm assuming you are using the Sony pancake 16mm? I find it not quite wide enough so use the .75 adapter which in theory should give a FOV equal to 12mm on a 35mm frame. Having said that it's not as wide as my Samyang 14mm on the same camera so I'm missing something there. The Sony lens combo is just that bit sharper than the Samyang so that's why I use it - plus I can use AF with this lens if I need it.

I'll be upgrading to the A7s II soon which has improved AF so that will be interesting to compare!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 03:23 AM   #17
Major Player

I guess, apsc mode means it's less shallow, and combining that with a super wide focal length probably aids autofocus... in that it doesn't have much to do. Hyperfocal distance is probably between 1 and 2 metres.

That said, my 28mm f2 when the autofocus works well does throw the background out of focus a little which is a nice look.

I was surprised to see this part of BandH comparison video. Look how much quickly the a7rii focuses in video mode at 5:57...

I currently have an a7sii in my hands with an a7s on my gimbal. I'd be tempted to replace my a7s with an a7rii if my a7s was in better condition. I'd be lucky to sell it for a grand it's got so many bangs and scuffs! Must take better care of my mark2!
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 07:51 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Clive Sony claim the A7s II focuses quicker than the A7s - any chance you could do a quick and dirty test? also I'm assuming low light capability is the same - again if you could do a very quick test I'd be grateful - I'm currently deciding on whether to get a mark II or another mark I and spend the difference on a AX100

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2016, 01:06 AM   #19
Regular Crew

No resolutions as such but going to use the downtime at the start of this year to get some things sorted out. Want to incorporate some new delivery methods and also put together a kind of deluxe box set type of thing. Also want to get a couple of projects finished off and take a proper look at Final Cut X. Still rolling along on 7 but want to start taking advantage of 4k in the edits so will need to make a change.
Old January 14th, 2016, 10:37 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Robertson View Post
No resolutions as such but going to use the downtime at the start of this year to get some things sorted out. Want to incorporate some new delivery methods and also put together a kind of deluxe box set type of thing. Also want to get a couple of projects finished off and take a proper look at Final Cut X. Still rolling along on 7 but want to start taking advantage of 4k in the edits so will need to make a change.
I'm the same. Several things I'd like to change in my business, so using the next 3 months to get it dealt with. I've been running 4K timelines and encodes on CS6 for over a year, but it can be a pain. Especially with multiple 4K cameras.
Hoping to update my USB delivery and reduce my DVD delivery - that and updating my website are the closest things I have to resolutions for the year.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques