DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Deliver Wedding Film on HDMI Dongle (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/530838-deliver-wedding-film-hdmi-dongle.html)

Taky Cheung January 8th, 2016 08:11 PM

Deliver Wedding Film on HDMI Dongle

We all have been dealing with DVD and BluRay authoring, burning and printing. I switched to USB thumbdrive delivery since 2015. I created an HTML5 Meny system called TakyBox. But it is mostly for computer playback. There are still a lot of brides asking for DVD and BluRay because they want to watch their film on big screen television.

I toyed with the idea of using an HDMI dongle as a complete plug-and-play turn key system. Working with the manufacturer to tune the OS and software vendors... it's been a year. Finally, I got it done!

It is USB Flash Drive plus HDMI dongle two-in-one device . Just plug the HDMI Dongle to any TV HDMI port, the menu system will play automatically.

Thought of making a TV remote control like device to work together. But the high R&D cost really make it not worthy. So I will add the option to bundle a mouse.

I am calling it TB Dongle :D

Noa Put January 9th, 2016 03:17 AM

Re: Deliver Wedding Film on HDMI Dongle

Oooeeeeh, nice :) I have a few questions

Is 8GB is the largest capacity or are you planning to have 16gb internally?
Is there a file size limit because of a fat32 format?
Can the drive also support playback on 4K h.264 files?

I think the idea behind it is great as it increases compatibility, I do wish it had a remote as well, the mouse and wireless dongle could be a problem though if the client doesn't have that.

Jack Walsh January 9th, 2016 07:16 AM

Brilliant!
Hope you make a killing with it!
I would include the bundled mouse and dongle option.

Clive McLaughlin January 9th, 2016 09:29 AM

HI Taky,

Very interesting!

I created my own USB HTML menu after seeing what you did and it's been working fine.

I know though the menu is only an option on PC, and on TV, we are stuck with the TV's file navigation display but I struggle to see how it might justify the price difference.

I assume this dongle would be a good bit more expensive than my USBs, and for what? A menu?

I know there is supposedly issues with USB on some TV's, but after a year of sending them out, I've had no complaints.

However, I've got no data as to how many clients are even attempting TV playback with my USBs.

It is very cool though! Well done!

Taky Cheung January 9th, 2016 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1906610)
Oooeeeeh, nice :) I have a few questions

Is 8GB is the largest capacity or are you planning to have 16gb internally?
Is there a file size limit because of a fat32 format?
Can the drive also support playback on 4K h.264 files?

I think the idea behind it is great as it increases compatibility, I do wish it had a remote as well, the mouse and wireless dongle could be a problem though if the client doesn't have that.

Let me answer your question.

It has 8GB memory. But actually only about 6 is available for us. The Android OS uses 2GB. But it has an microSD card slot. You can add additional memory if needed.

Fat32 file size is 4GB always. But I'm adding the Playlist feature in TakyBox. So it will play one file after each other. FIle size will not be an issue.

TakyBox supports 4K playback. But the dongle only output max at 1080p.

Taky Cheung January 9th, 2016 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Walsh (Post 1906618)
Brilliant!
Hope you make a killing with it!
I would include the bundled mouse and dongle option.

I will have 3 options
- TB Dongle
- TB Dongle + Wireless Mouse
- TB Dongle + Motion Gesture Remote Control.

Taky Cheung January 9th, 2016 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clive McLaughlin (Post 1906622)
HI Taky,

Very interesting!

I created my own USB HTML menu after seeing what you did and it's been working fine.

I know though the menu is only an option on PC, and on TV, we are stuck with the TV's file navigation display but I struggle to see how it might justify the price difference.

I assume this dongle would be a good bit more expensive than my USBs, and for what? A menu?

I know there is supposedly issues with USB on some TV's, but after a year of sending them out, I've had no complaints.

However, I've got no data as to how many clients are even attempting TV playback with my USBs.

It is very cool though! Well done!

Clive, i'm glad you have your HTML menu system. Any chance show us some screen shots? :)

The biggest issue for TV playback is, not all TV support video playback. I have a 55" LG TV I boguht 4 years ago, it won't play any video at all.

About pricing difference. It's about choices. You can still deliver USB for your brides. But the TB Dongle is an upsell. Or when they ask for DVD or BluRay, I simply tell them we don't offer DVD and BluRay. But we have this new option that is plug-and-play on any TV. It will be sold at $300. And you make $241 by simpling copying files over. Is the cost justify? for $59 cost only, it's smart business.

Noa Put January 9th, 2016 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taky Cheung (Post 1906625)
Fat32 file size is 4GB always. But I'm adding the Playlist feature in TakyBox. So it will play one file after each other. FIle size will not be an issue.

It would be in my case if no files larger then 4gb are supported, so if I understand you right the filesize is limit to max 4gb because the internal drive is fat32 formatted? And if so is there a way to play larger files and still be able to work with the menu system?

Taky Cheung January 9th, 2016 05:04 PM

I just realized , android OS is not built on FAT32. Its a Linux based file system. I will test it later to see if it takes files over 4GB.

Craig Terott January 12th, 2016 05:43 PM

Have you had any clients that have their TV wall-mounted with HDMI ports on the back of the TV?

Taky Cheung January 13th, 2016 03:36 AM

This is something new I come up with recently. I haven't delivered this to clients before.

Most TV that has wall mount will also have input from the side. If that's an issue, they will have problem using their TV with chromecast, Apple TV etc.

Clive McLaughlin January 13th, 2016 05:30 AM

Besides... An extension cable could be used as long as the rear ports have room for a cable. Even a right angle connector would help if space was tight.