DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Wedding nightmares (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/530851-wedding-nightmares.html)

Noa Put January 11th, 2016 05:50 AM

Wedding nightmares

Not sure if I ever mentioned it here before but every year after all weddings are over and the editing backlog is finished, usually between December and April, I occasionally get these dreams where I am shooting a wedding and something goes wrong, like last night I was shooting a ceremony and after that we went off to a photoshoot and I realized I left my ax100 behind on a tripod, went I got back the tripod was still there but the camera was gone. When I wake up it takes a minute to realize it was just a dream but during that minute I am totally devastated about what just happened. :D

Other things that can happen are arriving at the wedding to see I left my camera or audio gear at home, speeches that start while my camera is on the other side of the venue, realizing I didn't press record and the camera was on standby all the time, arriving late at the wedding, not finding the address.

Only once the wedding season starts again these dreams disappear, anyone else has them? :)

Jack Walsh January 11th, 2016 07:13 AM

Re: Wedding nightmares

I haven't been doing weddings long enough, but I feel your pain.
Been building surfboards for 35 years now, have the same dreams "nightmares" all the time.
Chemicals in the eyes, raw product failures, surfboards shaped like an hour glass, have that last one all the time. Can't stop thinking about it when I wake up.

Peter Rush January 11th, 2016 07:48 AM

Noa I have exactly the same dreams only I get them during the season - over the winter I sleep like a baby (with the ever present worry about enough bookings for the next season) The dreams are pretty much the same as yours - arriving late, opening the car boot to see I've left my camera bag at the bride's house just as the bride is arriving etc etc - they are truly horrible!

Steven Davis January 11th, 2016 08:52 AM

Yes, I have these dreams. The dream is always something impossible to fix. Like not having audio equipment, forgetting cameras, not enough time etc.

Noa Put January 11th, 2016 09:00 AM

Actually my nightmares continue at the beginning of the weddingseason as well but then slowly decrease and go away, especially a few weeks before the season starts it gets worse :)

I wonder why that is, I hardly had them with my previous jobs.

James Manford January 11th, 2016 11:15 AM

When your constantly shooting weddings on a regular basis you don't have time for dreams Noa. The job and post production keep you on your toes.

Art Varga January 11th, 2016 06:33 PM

Oh yeah - same recurring dream for me. I'm at the venue or wherever we are supposed to start and suddenly everything is starting to happen and all my gear is at home or in the car and I'm missing everything!

Charles Newcomb January 11th, 2016 07:09 PM

Haven't had the one where you realize you showed up naked, yet?

Arthur Gannis January 11th, 2016 09:18 PM

I have had recurring nightmares of one real situation a few years back. I went to do a job for an Indian client but that morning when I got up to dress I only had one pair of clean socks left because all the others were in the laundry and still wet. One sock has a large hole in it where my toe stuck out of which wasn't a big deal. Well, on arrival at the bride's house I was told to take off my shoes as was their custom. Now I always carry a needle kit with a few rolls of coloured threads. You never know when perhaps the pants may split down the middle, then what.

Kyle Root January 12th, 2016 09:02 AM

I have them several times throughout the year... forgotten gear, wrong venue, missing the date on the calendar...

Steve Burkett January 12th, 2016 09:03 AM

Oddly my nightmares always focuses in on the Ceremony, yet it's the Speeches I am more likely to be unprepared for if announced suddenly. Whilst the car journey is the part of the day I dread the most, particularly Bridal Preps to church. So why do I dream about the Ceremony? No logic to dreams.

Jon Robertson January 13th, 2016 01:01 AM

I get these from time to time. Always the same thing. Getting ready for the ceremony and by the time I've got myself sorted out I find there is no time to shoot any guest, venue, groom footage etc. I've not done bridal preps so that leaves me with exactly no footage before the ceremony starts. Not one shot. It's an odd one.

Ian Atkins January 13th, 2016 06:03 PM

Noa, if you recall, I posted about getting them even during the season:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...literally.html

At least yours are reserve for off-season work. I'm the opposite! I don't have any during my time off.