Canon XC10 - Anyone used one at a wedding? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 20th, 2016, 03:43 AM   #1
Major Player

Canon XC10 - Anyone used one at a wedding?

It's a camera that has a lot of haters, a lot of confusion as to who it's aimed at but quite a few very satisfied owners.
To me it looks like it could be a great camera to replace by 700D as a b-cam/light weight run'n'gun cam to compliment my C100 ( even though it is quite expensive).
Has anyone used one at a wedding? Any opinions as to how it handles multiple different scenes?
Cheers
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2016, 07:48 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Canon XC10 - Anyone used one at a wedding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Maclaurin View Post
It's a camera that has a lot of haters, a lot of confusion as to who it's aimed at but quite a few very satisfied owners.
That statement seems to be given out to combat criticisms of any camera. Who exactly are the target buyers of the XC10 - journalists, solo Videographers, drone operators, video production companies. Its maybe a fair B camera for a C300, but like most Canon cameras, its features are constrained by a need not to compete with other Canon products.

The main issues with the camera were originally its high price, the non fixed aperture lens and the fact that to record 4K you needed expensive media cards. Some users complained the footage wasn't as sharp as the RX10ii and the photo function lacking in comparison. That said, the footage would better match with the C100 colour wise and it offers 422 internal recording. In some ways it works well with the C100, giving you 4K the C100 lacks. You might also want to look at the RX10 mark ii. Its cheaper than the XC10.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2016, 07:56 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The rx10 has a specific look that might be difficult to match with a c100, personally I would stay in the canon camp if you don't want to spend more time on colormatching in post.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 02:10 PM   #4
Major Player

I see the biggest problem for the XC10 is the price, then slow lens at the tele end.
The plus points for wedding filming would be being able to film without overheating and for more than 30 mins, great lens stabilisation, Canon colours (matching my C100), light weight....
I just need the price to come down!

The Sony RX10mk2 looks great but the difference in look between the Sonys and the Canons is about as big as it gets.
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques