DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   For when you are waiting in the rain for the bride's arrival (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/531460-when-you-waiting-rain-brides-arrival.html)

Peter Rush March 24th, 2016 05:03 AM

For when you are waiting in the rain for the bride's arrival

2 Attachment(s)
God I hate that - the bride is 20 minutes late and you are stood in the pouring rain on a street at the church's entrance because you don't want to miss her arrival. You have an umbrella in one hand and a handycam set to full auto in the other, hoping for the best while operating it with one hand

Here's my solution for this year. I'm ok getting wet and so to a certain degree is my camera but rain on the lens is a killer - hopefully this will work in all but very windy conditions - at least I can operate my camera with both hands.

Now I just need to find one not in such garish colours!!!!!

Noa Put March 24th, 2016 05:19 AM

Re: For when you are waiting in the rain for the bride's arrival

Cool solution, you should take a patent on that :) That kind of of situations I always shoot with my cx730 in one hand a my umbrella in the other, the OS of the handicam is so good it will look good no matter what and I can operate the zoom as well with the same hand.

Nathan Buck March 24th, 2016 05:27 AM

Great! Although I think I would prefer it in black ;)

Chris Harding March 24th, 2016 10:05 AM

Neat Peter

You used to be able to get a small brolly that had spokes coming down to a wide elastic band that you stretched over your head leaving you and the camera dry. As far as I remember they also came with rainbow colours sadly .... I wonder how that would work ... at least both would stay dry!!

Oren Arieli March 24th, 2016 11:12 AM

I hate to pooh-pooh another persons invention, but you're bound to get camera shake even with the slightest of breezes. Try it and see. I'd go with a plastic bag over the camera as a quick&cheap solution. But what do I know, I live in California where we're still in the middle of a 4 year drought.

Peter Rush March 24th, 2016 11:30 AM

Well I think it will be more stable than holding an umbrella in one hand and a handycam in the other - I can now have 2 hands on the camera. I've tried plastic bags before but they don't stop rain hitting the lens, and this is what I'm trying to avoid - this will in all but the most windy conditions

John Nantz March 24th, 2016 12:01 PM

Peter - This is brilliant! Really cool! Just look at all the attention you’re getting, even from the dyed in the wool black supporters.

Time to turn that attention getter around and make it a marketing tool. Signage suggestion for the umbrella:

Peter Rush Videographer
Weddings and Event Videos
Call 141 920 3210
“Rain or shine, we’re just fine”

- or -
“Rush to book now!”
(Just have the phone on mute when recording audio.)

Oh, and as for the “shine” part, for the rest of us who have watched Downton Abbey, we know that in England when the sun is out that the women use wide brimmed hats and umbrellas.

Todd Mizomi March 27th, 2016 01:19 PM

I've been using this when I need both hands free in the rain:

Home - Nubrella