DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   How to handle this edit? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/531558-how-handle-edit.html)

Peter Rush April 5th, 2016 10:01 AM

How to handle this edit?

So I've just hand an enquiry for a first communion and following party. The Communion part is fine as it's not a million miles away from a wedding scenario but the party afterwards - she wants me from mid-day until 8pm. It's in a fairly grotty 'country' club with no grounds (so it's all in one room) and there are 60 or less guests. When I asked her if there are any formal parts to the party, such as a speech or presentation she says no - neither is there any entertainment apart from a DJ later on.

So really there will be not a lot happening with very few people for 8 hours - I can't think of anything interesting to film here, let alone how to edit it in a meaningful and entertaining way.

She also wants some shots in the house before as well so the quote will be the same as for a full-day wedding.

Pete

Noa Put April 5th, 2016 11:58 AM

Re: How to handle this edit?

Quote:

I can't think of anything interesting to film here
You could try to dress up as a clown and entertain the kids while shooting yourself with a unmanned camera? :)

Don't treat this as a weddingfilm, just cover the event and shoot documentary style, film a lot of kids playing and guests talking, add some random children music and edit chronologically. These communions are easy, they don't want a "story" or something "cinematic", the parents just want to have a nice memory of the child's first communion.

Roger Van Duyn April 5th, 2016 02:45 PM

Pretty much what Noa says. I did a birthday party last month that paid my full day rate. There were organized games and a DJ. Just make sure to make the young person that's having their first communion the theme or highlight of the video. That's what the parents want, special memories of their child. Make the child figure prominently. A chronological edit should be fine.

Craig McKenna April 6th, 2016 05:27 AM

I would be really interested in seeing this, Pete, as I am also getting similar requests for a 'celebration' following a wedding day. What the point of this celebration will be, remains to be seen, but I am interested, like you, as to how we should edit such events, particularly if there are no speakers.

Quite a funny one though, if you think about it, as if you rewind to the documentary edits of old, there would have been no problem with a sequence of clips coming one after the other.

I'd take your A7S II (I think you have) and get as many shots that are as well exposed as possible, and have lots of head shots of the kids. I'm sure there will be balloons and there's still time for them to hire an entertainer as Noa says - don't get your clown shoes out just yet! :) I shot a Christening celebration for 4-5 hours a year or so ago, and that took place in the same place... you wondered what you were doing there really, but as the photographer for that event, rather than the videographer, I made sure I got head shots of most guests and the important members, and like others have suggested, did some creative slow shutter shots with the kids and balloons, as well as their reactions and responses... sometimes, that's all you have.

Do the clients understand your concerns and what they are expecting to receive in contrast to your wedding films, Pete?

Peter Rush April 6th, 2016 07:05 AM

I suppose I'm being a little negative about this one as I've filmed at this particular venue before - it's a pretty dull venue with 'function' rooms and the party will be in one of these rooms (possible with other events happening next door) with no outside apart from a car park and some astroturf!

Anyway I've quoted her my full day price so I'll worry about this one if she accepts.

Pete

Donald McPherson April 6th, 2016 11:09 AM

Why not video some of the family interview style, asking connection and who they are. Would be nice in years to come to see who's who.