DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Went Crazy and got a GH4 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/531898-went-crazy-got-gh4.html)

Kyle Root May 19th, 2016 05:55 AM

Went Crazy and got a GH4

Last Friday I went to the Unclaimed Baggage Center and they had 2 GH4s on the shelf.

They were having a camera sale for 30% off, so it ended up costing me $830 for a GH4 with the 14-140mm lens included. I figured for that price, if I don't like it, I can sell it and not be out anything, since that combo is going for around $1,300 on amazon and ebay.

I'm excited about trying it out and am getting use to the controls as they are quite different from my Nikons... but it is very intuitive to use so that's good.

Liking what I'm seeing so far with the little guy!

Noa Put May 19th, 2016 06:16 AM

Re: Went Crazy and got a GH4

That's a good deal, I paid around 1800 for that same combo when it just was released. One should actually always wait at least a year after camera's have been released, it's then that you start to make the best savings.

Steve Burkett May 19th, 2016 06:42 AM

Great deal; I recently took advantage of a Panasonic promotion to get a 2nd GH4r, which along with a regular GH4 gives me 3 of this model. I love working with this camera. Actually discovered by buying a new GH4r with the latest fireware that you can now use autofocus via touch screen controls even in manual focus mode during recording.
Previously the touch screen auto focus only worked in manual before recording started. Its a small upgrade, but very useful to me, allowing me to change focus easily whilst recording using my gimbal. Before this to take advantage of auto focus, I had to turn the focus mode switch - more awkward on a gimbal. Now I can just touch the screen when in manual focus mode and the auto focus kicks in to refocus.

Craig McKenna May 21st, 2016 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Burkett (Post 1914881)
Great deal; I recently took advantage of a Panasonic promotion to get a 2nd GH4r, which along with a regular GH4 gives me 3 of this model. I love working with this camera. Actually discovered by buying a new GH4r with the latest fireware that you can now use autofocus via touch screen controls even in manual focus mode during recording.
Previously the touch screen auto focus only worked in manual before recording started. Its a small upgrade, but very useful to me, allowing me to change focus easily whilst recording using my gimbal. Before this to take advantage of auto focus, I had to turn the focus mode switch - more awkward on a gimbal. Now I can just touch the screen when in manual focus mode and the auto focus kicks in to refocus.

Awesome Steve! I took advantage of the same deal! Looking forward to using its unlimited recording time!

Peter Rush May 22nd, 2016 03:24 AM

What's the AF like on the GH4? I'm still looking for a 'wife' cam to replace the CX730 she uses. Also is the stabilization ok?

Noa Put May 22nd, 2016 03:54 AM

If you want a dslr kinda look but a camera that's easier to use then a dslr then I would recommend a sony rx10, a gh4 is a much more difficult camera to shoot with then the point and shoot cx730, the rx10 requires more attention as well but is more comparable to a normal videocamera.

Steve Burkett May 22nd, 2016 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig McKenna (Post 1914984)
Awesome Steve! I took advantage of the same deal! Looking forward to using its unlimited recording time!

Yes it's a real bonus. I've decided not to buy another camera with a time limit from now on. Hoping the GH5 when released will preserve this and maybe encourage other cameras to ditch this silly limit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Rush (Post 1915008)
What's the AF like on the GH4? I'm still looking for a 'wife' cam to replace the CX730 she uses. Also is the stabilization ok?

Not too bad in HD, crap in 4k. As Noa suggested, not a good camera for ease of use. I've adapted to its style of shooting, but only out of practise, lots of practise. Great image to reward the hard work though.

Craig McKenna May 22nd, 2016 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Burkett (Post 1915012)
Yes it's a real bonus. I've decided not to buy another camera with a time limit from now on. Hoping the GH5 when released will preserve this and maybe encourage other cameras to ditch this silly limit.

Definitely. It's worth paying a premium for this too! I would pay another £250 for the GH5 if it enabled unlimited time recording.

Nigel Barker May 22nd, 2016 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1915009)
If you want a dslr kinda look but a camera that's easier to use then a dslr then I would recommend a sony rx10, a gh4 is a much more difficult camera to shoot with then the point and shoot cx730, the rx10 requires more attention as well but is more comparable to a normal videocamera.

Not really necessary for camera operated by a spousal second shooter but it's now possible to remove the 30 minute recording on the RX10M2 & it shoots 4K. It's a hell of a lot less hassle knowing that you have no lens to change or agonise over which lens to use or even which lens to buy. The RX10M3 could be even better with the F/2.8-4.0 24-600mm equivalent lens.

Noa Put May 22nd, 2016 05:14 PM

The rx cameras are great and a fixed lens makes it easier to use throughout the day when the light is good enough but when the lights go out the camera becomes useless and then you are glad you have a dslr with a primelens in your gearbag. My RX10 always went into my bag as soon as I arrived at the venue and that's when my gh camera's took over.

Dave Blackhurst May 22nd, 2016 09:25 PM

The next gen sensor of the RX10M2 and M3 improve low light a bit, and a small dimmable LED panel works wonders....

Steve Burkett May 22nd, 2016 10:35 PM

With the mark 3, the RX10 has sacrificed constant aperture for a longer zoom. It's debatable which feature is more useful, though if the aperture is 2.8 up to the same length of zoom as the m2, only jumping to f4 as it extends further, then I suppose it's the best of both worlds.

Lights work well, but not always possible. I had 1 Ceremony where only by switching to a 1.2 lens did I get good footage. It was incredibly dark, to the level that the Registrar complained they couldn't see to write the register. That said, if you don't want the hassle of multiple lenses, the rx10 and similar cameras are a good compromise.

Noa Put May 23rd, 2016 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 1915029)
and a small dimmable LED panel works wonders....

I guess much depends on your shootingstyle, I find the rx10 vs gh4 with a fast prime image like night and day when I shoot in dark venues, most have their speeches from their table, I don't see it as an option to blind them with a light up close, you can ofcourse if you want to but I rather shoot with a camera that doesn't require me to do so.