Panasonic gx80 for weddings - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 7th, 2016, 07:30 AM   #76
Trustee

Re: Panasonic gx80 for weddings

Hi Andrew,
The issue with the histogram changing a lot could be the way you have the metering set up. If it is the point metering, you will see the histogram change a lot in response to the exposure changes. Maybe try the middle setting & see if that is better.
Old September 7th, 2016, 07:46 AM   #77
Major Player

Thanks Bryce. I'll try that!
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 08:17 AM   #78
Inner Circle

Quote:
The only problem is that if it doesn't get it right straight away it hunts like crazy and can ruin vital shots.
That also might vary a lot with what type of lens you use, my 12-35mm f2.8 doesn't have that problem but also my 42,5mm f1.7 and 75mm f1.8 only start to hunt when it gets quite dark.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 09:02 AM   #79
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Maclaurin View Post
My choice will be either a xc10 to go with the C100 or to change completely and go lightweight with the 2 Panasonics. A big choice awaits!
The GX80 is always going to suffer in comparison with a C100 with more limited latitude & dynamic range. The harsh lighting will only accentuate the difference. The less sunny weather for Noa in Northern Europe would mean that the difference was less but almost any DSLR especially a MFT is going to suffer comparison with a C100. The XC10 is probably going to be a better match image-wise but don't dismiss going lightweight. The last couple of weddings before I gave up the business I shot with two Olympus OM-D E-M5s plus a Panasonic G6. The freedom of putting all the camera gear in one small shoulder bag plus the lightweight manoeuvrability of it all was very liberating. Nowadays I think that I would use three Sony RX10-M2/M3s & avoid changing lenses completely.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 01:50 PM   #80
Major Player

Nigel, that is exactly what I'm looking to do. Go lightweight and concentrate on the shots and the story. The IBIS on the GX85 is very liberating.
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 02:36 PM   #81
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
The less sunny weather for Noa in Northern Europe would mean that the difference was less
My last wedding it was 34 deg and there was a glaring sun, I think that in terms of having to deal with harsh light there was not much difference compared to Spain :)
Te only thing I would worry about with fixed lens camera such as the rx10 and the xc10 is low light sensitivity, especially when you zoom in with the xc10 the lens ramps up to f5.6 which will make it useless in dark venues, there a gx80 will have the advantage of fast primes. Also when you want to shoot in 4K the 305mb bitrate on the xc10 sounds like overkill, the cost for the media will be a lot higher in such a case.
One camera that might be interesting is the upcoming g8 and eventhough it's only rumors so far it's expected to have the same ibis as the gx80 but with a lcd screen that can be opened and hopefully a audio input. Sort of a poor mans gh5 :) If it follows the same pricing as the g7 it's going to be very cheap. We should know more this month.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques