what is this slider? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 26th, 2016, 09:13 AM   #1
Inner Circle

what is this slider?

So I've just seen a short clip where the guy is using a very short slider but the slider itself travels as well as the sled so it looks like it gets as much travel as my Glidetrack but is physically much smaller. In my quest to lighten the load it looks interesting

About 32 seconds in
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 09:24 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: what is this slider?

Think I found it

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1038722-REG/edelkrone_80842_slider_plus_pro_medium.html
Anyone using this and care to comment? - a little pricey and looks like it won't just sit on the floor - I like that my Glidetrack can be just plonked down and slides for a nice low angle
Old May 26th, 2016, 09:59 AM   #3
Trustee

$600 dollars and you can't even place it on the floor. Aprils fools was last month Edelkrone
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 10:16 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
you can't even place it on the floor
If you have one you know it can be placed on the floor :) You only loose the double travellength which only works if you have mounted it on a tripod(head)
It's unique in it's function as 1. you get a much longer travel then any other comparable slider that has the same length, 2. you can attach a actionmodule that can have preset speeds for controlled repeatable slides + 3. you can attach a targetmodule that will lock onto a subject and follow it when the slider is sliding.

I have all 3, used the action module and slider on a recent shoot, (not a wedding) and what I liked most about it was that I could repeat my slides at exactly the same speed and also control how smooth it starts and stops which makes doing second or 3rd takes a piece of cake as I can focus on my camera and not the motion.

You might argue it's expensive but I have had some cheaper ones before and you feel the difference for sure. The good stuff is never cheap.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 11:43 AM   #5
Trustee

I like it; can't afford one this year, but definitely on my radar as something to add to my gear.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 01:28 PM   #6
Trustee

Paid $2k for the extra long one a few years back, it's held up pretty well, very smooth. The shorter one is better - the XL one (and anything longer than what you see in the video) can't be held up in one point... it starts to tip once you get very far to either side.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 01:38 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Tbh i have a £300 glidetrack that is pretty crap - it sticks constantly, especially when going from cold to warm and vice-versa - really hard to get a smooth glide. My budget has already been blown this year but Neewer do a version of the edelkrone for about £100 that i might try - it can't be as bad as my Glidetrack
Old May 27th, 2016, 07:05 AM   #8
Trustee

I get that its different and has limitations, but the idea of a slider short enough that you could probably leave it on your tripod for most of the morning appeals to me.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2016, 06:28 PM   #9
Regular Crew

It's a very nice bit of kit. The only flaw is that the adjustable feet won't go high enough to clear the floor if you have a manfrotto plate on the bottom. Only discovered this after I bought it. Needs to be solved but the best slider I've had in my time.
Old May 29th, 2016, 06:23 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Well that rules it out for me as I quite often have the slider on the floor as well as on my tripod - shame
Old May 29th, 2016, 06:50 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Robertson View Post
The only flaw is that the adjustable feet won't go high enough to clear the floor if you have a manfrotto plate on the bottom.
Weird because on mine the adjustable feet go high enough to clear the tripodplate from the ground, there is not much space but the plate does not touch the ground, only works on an even floor ofcourse
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2016, 04:30 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Yeah, it's on carpet where things go wrong. Often dealing with carpet during morning preparations.
Old June 5th, 2016, 04:31 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Plus it's super easy to loose the feet as they don't stop themselves from being able to be unscrewed from the body.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques