DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   2.35:1 and Vimeo (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/531981-2-35-1-vimeo.html)

Nathan Buck June 1st, 2016 08:27 AM

2.35:1 and Vimeo

Just wondering how people go about this? I edit with letterbox guidelines and then crop the footage when it comes to exporting. This means I don't get black bars in the thumbnails which I prefer. Is that what everyone else does? I suppose you could upload a 16:9 frame as the thumbnail instead?

Thanks,

Nathan

Michael Stevenson June 1st, 2016 07:45 PM

Re: 2.35:1 and Vimeo

Like this?

Nathan Buck June 2nd, 2016 05:46 AM

Yeah, except that one has letterboxing going on! I think the issue I have is that for wedding highlights I release as a cropped 2.35:1 and for other things where I'm not trying to be cinematic, I do 16:9. This means that when I embed the thumbnails into Wordpress I get different sizes. So I think the way around it would be to place a 16:9 image as the thumbnail... I guess I'm just answering my own question really! I was just wondering what everyone's preferred method was, or if there was an excepted method.

Gary Huff June 2nd, 2016 06:57 AM

Are you using the Vimeo embed code in Wordpress? You might need to tweak the dimensions to show the thumbnail correctly.

Nathan Buck June 2nd, 2016 07:40 AM

Yeah, I think I was using the oEmbed function and the template (Uncode) was doing something weird with it. I guess I'll have a chat to their support. Thanks.

Noa Put June 2nd, 2016 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan Buck (Post 1915643)
Yeah, except that one has letterboxing going on!

I only get that on this forum when I embed a 2:35:1 video as it automatically adds the letterboxing, if I embed the same video on my personal wordpress blog or on my business website (which is also based on wordpress) it doesn't add any bars and I get the 2:35:1 aspect ratio.

Michael Stevenson June 2nd, 2016 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan Buck (Post 1915643)
Yeah, except that one has letterboxing going on! I think the issue I have is that for wedding highlights I release as a cropped 2.35:1 and for other things where I'm not trying to be cinematic, I do 16:9. This means that when I embed the thumbnails into Wordpress I get different sizes. So I think the way around it would be to place a 16:9 image as the thumbnail... I guess I'm just answering my own question really! I was just wondering what everyone's preferred method was, or if there was an excepted method.

It's only letterboxed here not on Vimeo. Check it out.

Rickey Brillantes June 3rd, 2016 07:08 AM

I do all my highlights in 2.35:1 aspect ratio, even in vimeo, Facebook and my blog page it all shows in that format without the black bars.

Follow Mr Blooms tutorial and you will never go wrong

Wedding Videography in Ontario, California - iClickFilms

Noa Put June 3rd, 2016 07:26 AM

That seems kinda complicated, I just start a project in Edius with the right aspect ratio and that's it, no need to do anything else really. If I"m shooting with my jvc I don't have to recompose in Edius either as the camera can just overlay the 2:35:1 aspect ratio on the viewfinder so I can live see how to compose my shots.

Nathan Buck June 3rd, 2016 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickey Brillantes (Post 1915731)
I do all my highlights in 2.35:1 aspect ratio, even in vimeo, Facebook and my blog page it all shows in that format without the black bars.

Follow Mr Blooms tutorial and you will never go wrong
How to export and upload 2.35 video to Vimeo on Vimeo

Wedding Videography in Ontario, California - iClickFilms

Thanks! But that's 6 years old and uses FCP!

Like Noa, my camera lays 2.35:1 guidelines that I shoot with.

Noa, I'm not sure what your package is, but do you offer the speeches/ceremony etc separately? Do you do those in 2.35:1? I find that sometimes my framing is a little off when I export 16:9 as I've been framing for 2.35:1 which makes me thing maybe I should just release everything as that!

Nigel Barker June 5th, 2016 11:10 PM

A couple of strips of tape on the rear screen is the low tech solution to framing for 2.35:1 if your camera doesn't have guidelines.

Noa Put June 6th, 2016 12:56 AM

Make that transparent tape unless you don't want to cover up essential data that's displayed as well :)