DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   What type of Microphone to record Tap-Shoe sounds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/532051-what-type-microphone-record-tap-shoe-sounds.html)

Vince Pachiano June 9th, 2016 03:24 PM

What type of Microphone to record Tap-Shoe sounds

For Dance Recitals with Tap-dance, I have previously used a Tascam DR-05 audio recorder to capture the Tap Sounds
It does an adequate job, but I know there are units built specifically to be taped to the stage floor and record the tap sounds.

Can anyone offer a suggestion?
And if it would output to the Tascam's 3.5mm mic/line input that would be a bonus

Edward Carlson June 9th, 2016 04:07 PM

Re: What type of Microphone to record Tap-Shoe sounds

Look at PZM mics, specifically the PCC160 from Crown (now AKG.) We use it every weekend for this exact purpose.

Chris Harding June 10th, 2016 07:23 AM

Yep also known as boundary mics they do an awesome job just taped onto the stage. My AKG's are tiny too ..about an inch and a half long and 3/4" wide ..looks like a tiny computer mouse!! They usually need phantom power though ...mine get their excitation from the transmitter .. They are amazing units ..Even try taping them to the walls as the stage floor might be very loud ...the walls will pick up more reflected sound than you realise. Every kit should have at least one!!

Vince Baker August 4th, 2016 04:22 PM

Hi Chris,

I have two solutions depending on the setup in the theatre,

If there are monitor speakers on the stage, it reduces the options, so I use boundary microphones (usually 2 of them equally spaced on the front edge of the stage if possible) and connect both of them to a Zoom Z4N. The Zoom is great as it can provide phantom power and record the two inputs on separate channels.

If there are no monitor speakers (or it is quite low volume) I also use a couple of zoom recorders. Usually the one connected to the two boundary mics in the middle of front of the stage and that way you can use the 4 channels option on the zoom and record with both boundary and the zoom's built in speakers.

I would like to note, for some reason and in some theatres I get better results with the zoom feed and sometimes better with the boundary mics, I really have not figured out why sometimes better with one than the other, guess it is down to the stage material / solidity but not a sound expert so just choose which ever channel of the recording is the best.

If the stage is really large I also add another couple of zooms on the stage tucked left and right of stage (usually can find somewhere and put them on gorilla pods).