First foray into 4K with a AX100 - tips? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 5th, 2016, 02:11 AM   #1
Inner Circle

First foray into 4K with a AX100 - tips?

So I'm dipping my toe into the 4K world with a Sony AX100 - I'm filming at the weekend at a venue where I'll be filming from the back so will have 2 locked off cameras at the front - one of which will be my AX100. There's a lot of natural light so I'll be using auto exposure, I've already established it overexposes a little in auto, like most sony cams, so I'll be setting AE comp and minus half a stop. Also it seems to remember zoom and manual focus settings after being turned off so that's ok just to turn and and start recording, assuming the B&G don't move from where they should be.

I can then drop my 4K clip on my 1080 timeline to crop and zoom - nice :)

Any tips on this camera or 4K in general for a newbie?
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 03:06 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: First foray into 4K with a AX100 - tips?

The camera is pretty failsafe, you only need to watch your focus if you use the spotfocus feature by touching the screen, I have noticed more then once it doesn't always focus accurately and now I double check by zooming in onto the screen and use peaking. If the focus is off by just a bit it will notice.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 03:39 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The problem I have with that, as is most often the case, is once the camera is running, if the B&G move a little I can't get to the camera to check it's still in focus - quite often with the CX730 cams auto is good enough as it will nearly always lock on to the contrast of the bride's dress which is ok for a small sensor but with this larger sensor that won't do (I have these cams set to wide)
Old July 5th, 2016, 04:36 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The extra DOF of the 1" sensor of the AX100 compared to an APS-C or FF means it's more forgiving when focusing.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 04:48 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Pete,
I'm not a Sony man, but I believe the ax100 has wifi and smartphone control, so you may well be able to adjust focus with the wifi app.

On my pair of Panny FZ 1000s I use the app to adjust zoom from the second opposite angle cam and can also use touch screen focus control on the app to focus on any part of the frame. I just use a smart phone or pad mounted on my main tripod. I would have thought there would be a similar thing for the Sony.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 04:57 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
The extra DOF of the 1" sensor of the AX100 compared to an APS-C or FF means it's more forgiving when focusing.
That's not my experience, if the focus is off it's off and it will be painfully visible, especially in 4k, the autofocus is good enough to save you from problems like this when you shoot wider but as soon as you start to zoom in you need to check, I also had the camera missing focus with that spotfocus when the lens was wide, the camera had issues getting the focus because of a mixture of light.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 05:37 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
Hi Pete,
I'm not a Sony man, but I believe the ax100 has wifi and smartphone control, so you may well be able to adjust focus with the wifi app.

On my pair of Panny FZ 1000s I use the app to adjust zoom from the second opposite angle cam and can also use touch screen focus control on the app to focus on any part of the frame. I just use a smart phone or pad mounted on my main tripod. I would have thought there would be a similar thing for the Sony.

Roger
Nice - I'll try that this afternoon :) UPDATE - sadly not - can only start/stop/zoom

The camera comes with a remote but again, no focus control. It can be a problem with locked off cams as in the past I've locked focus on where the couple are going to stand, only to find the registrar decided to move around the other side of the table, making the B&G step back a few feet - result = registrar nice and sharp but the couple were soft - all I could have done was squeeze past the couple to re-adjust my camera and then squeeze past them again, and I wasn't going to do that (maybe I would these days)

Last edited by Peter Rush; July 5th, 2016 at 06:07 AM.
Old July 5th, 2016, 05:57 AM   #8
Inner Circle

You still need to take notice of what Noa says though as if you want to crop in to the image you need to make sure the focus is correct at that zoom. Just touching in a wide angle the camera will choose the best depth of field at that zoom position not necessarily for a crop later.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 06:53 AM   #9
Inner Circle

As an aside how important is it to have a U3 class SD card for 4K? I'v just been filming with a 600X SDXC U1 card without any problems

Pete
Old July 5th, 2016, 07:04 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
As an aside how important is it to have a U3 class SD card for 4K? I'v just been filming with a 600X SDXC U1 card without any problems

Pete
It's a risk. How long did you record for? I find slower cards stop recording when the camera starts a new file every 4gb with high bitrate. It's random and depends on what's being recorded. Even my U3 cards can halt recording if I don't do a full format rather than in camera one once a month. You can use U1 but it's tempting fate and could well let you down when you least want it.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 07:19 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Just ordered a couple of U3 cards!
Old July 5th, 2016, 08:13 AM   #12
Trustee

Peter, make sure you're using proper brand-name batteries or AC because if the camera loses power during a recording, that entire recording becomes corrupt and is extremely difficult to recover. I make it a habit to hit start/stop on the cam whenever it's convinient (for example intermissions).
Old July 5th, 2016, 09:09 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post
It's a risk. How long did you record for? I find slower cards stop recording when the camera starts a new file every 4gb with high bitrate. It's random and depends on what's being recorded. Even my U3 cards can halt recording if I don't do a full format rather than in camera one once a month. You can use U1 but it's tempting fate and could well let you down when you least want it.
You format in a computer rather than in the camera? and Nate yes, I have branded batteries from my CX730 cams
Old July 5th, 2016, 09:30 AM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
You format in a computer rather than in the camera? and Nate yes, I have branded batteries from my CX730 cams
I format in my camera for all shoots but once a month now I use some software to do a complete format. Takes about 20 mins for a 64bg card and clears the card. I'm not too knowledgeable on the techno jargon as to whats involved but with camera format you can still recover the files but with the sd formatter software on the computer its removed for good. Just clears the cobwebs and any fragments on the card.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 01:54 PM   #15
Inner Circle

To shoot the higher bitrates, the camera should bark (actually just give you and on screen warning) at you if you don't have a U3 card.... I think the latest firmware iterations might allow you to use a smaller SDHC card, but still needs to be U3. Somehow I think you can shoot the 50Mbps or whatever the "low" bitrate is on a U1 card.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques