DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Mic Set-up Suggestions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/532377-mic-set-up-suggestions.html)

Katie Fasel August 1st, 2016 07:47 AM

Mic Set-up Suggestions

Hi All,
We have a same-sex wedding coming up, and both brides will be in traditional wedding dresses, wondering if anyone has a white or skin colored lav that they like, and how they mic with the dress? Usually we have the inside pocket of the suit coat or pants pocket, but don't have that option in this case, and dresses are usually pretty snug to hide something in. We use Sony recorders with lav mics for this. Anyone have experience or suggestions on this?

I've been told too that the minister will be "self-projecting" as he prefers not to wear a mic. It's an outdoor wedding. My last inclination is to put a simple mic on a stand up front, but will look odd considering it's just for recording purposes and not through the PA. (There will be a PA for readers and a guitarist, but just not a mic for the minister/brides). Advice appreciated!

Alec Moreno August 1st, 2016 12:26 PM

Re: Mic Set-up Suggestions

I would personally, stay away from putting mics on the brides, but I know some have done this with no problems at all.

I recall a shot from the last royal wedding I saw. The officiant wore two lav mics on his vestment/lapel...one pointed toward the groom and one pointed toward the bride (since the couple was forbidden from wearing lavs themselves). I imagine that the officiant was asked by the crew ahead of time to stand near the couple during the vows.

One idea is to use a mic stand up front as you suggested, but instead of a stick mic, I would attach an audio recorder near the base and run an omnidirectional lav mic to the top. If you place the mic at about mid torso between the brides during the vows, I think you should be fine.

A warning though if you go with this method...

The officiant and brides must all be aware ahead of time that this is your main audio source for the brides, so the mic's placement is critical. A little pre-planning with them and the officiant should do the trick. Additionally, any shuffling of papers from the officiant during the vows could kill your audio, as the mic is more likely to pick up unwanted noises from the three of them. Make sure the officiant understands this.

Taky Cheung August 1st, 2016 11:17 PM

I use RODE PinMic. Recently I painted the silver mesh cap white.

White Pinhead for RODE PINMIC | L.A. Color Pros

Didn't have a chance to use it on a bride yet. Will try that at the next wedding.

John Nantz August 2nd, 2016 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie Fasel (Post 1918580)
I've been told too that the minister will be "self-projecting" as he prefers not to wear a mic.!

Sounds like code words for someone who likes to be more dramatic so wouldn’t be surprised if he also likes to move around. One mic on a stand may not cover very well his changes in direction as he speaks to different areas of the attendees. Something to ask about.

Maybe there is an on-line example of one of his previous officiant work one could watch?

Danny O'Neill August 3rd, 2016 06:50 AM

Boob mic!

Use Rode undercovers to affix the lav to the inside of her dress between the boobs. Even brides with a more modest chest have enough of a cavity to safely keep the mic from rubbing.

Ideally both dresses but sometimes we find at least 1 bride is wearing something quite tight fitting so the lav wire shows.

This then goes to a pocket recorder/wireless pack around the brides ankle or thigh.

This video has all the details.

Failing that a handheld mic they pass between them. Explain it may not be amplified as it will be weird to them but it sounds great on video.