Sirui P204S vs Manfrotto MVM500A vs Manfrotto MVMXPRO500US XPRO at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 2nd, 2016, 09:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sirui P204S vs Manfrotto MVM500A vs Manfrotto MVMXPRO500US XPRO

Hi guys...I think I have a better chance of getting some first hand opinions in the wedding section...
I have used a Manfrotto MVM500A monopod and I find it very useful...I use it in almost every shoot (but I always bring along my Sachtler ACE M in case Is needed)...No issues with the monopod at all.
Recently I found out about that Manfrotto has a newer and improved monopod, the MVMXPRO500US XPRO and I also found out that there is a Sirui P204S with better feet etc...
so...what exactly would I be gaining from replacing the monopod? the head that I use currently is an actual Manfrotto MVH500AH Fluid Video Head with Flat Base (not the one that the original monopod came with)...so I can put it on any monopod...but I wonder what the "advantages" would be of me going for either the updated manfrotto or the Sirui...I like the bigger feet in the Sirui but I would NEVER leave my camera C100 or any camera standing up free with any monopod!
I watched a few videos on line but I know by now that every new toy gets lots of attention and hype. I just want first hand opinions pls
thanks
E
Old December 2nd, 2016, 11:41 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Sirui P204S vs Manfrotto MVM500A vs Manfrotto MVMXPRO500US XPRO

I have not used the others but I have the Sirui P204S and it seems to be good quality for value.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 01:08 PM   #3
Trustee

Hi there, i have both and the Siriu is slightly heavier with bigger feet. But well cheaper
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 01:16 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I've got the older Sirui design - 324x and 424x, they are quite stable, the feet are MUCH longer than the Manfrotto ones I've had. I think the 204 and 224(CF version) have feet that are "in between". You "can" leave a Sirui freestanding, something you'd NEVER do with the Manfrotto... of course this depends on the size and weight of your rig, and the situation, but the larger feet are night and day between the Manfrotto and the Sirui....

Personally, I liked the "old" Sirui designs, as I have little use for the added weight and bulk of the removable "table top" tripod base the new ones have, I did test one briefly, nothing bad about it, but the 204S just didn't quite match in terms of weight vs. height for my needs, the 324x and 424x are in my "permanent" kit, FWIW.

One consideration, the 204 is a shorter monopod height wise, I prefer something taller, but taller also means heavier and bulkier. I still sometimes grab a Manfrotto 560B1, just because it's small and light.

The Sirui monopods will need a head, as you already know... Pans with the fluid base (or top in the current versions) are pretty smooth. Matched with a decent head, it's a good system, and the larger 3xx and 4xx series will give you a workable tripod substitute - I haven't taken my tall tripods out for a single cam shoot since I got the Sirui....

I noted the new improved flip locks on the Manfrotto, and i do sort of miss the flip locks as opposed to the twist locks on the Siruis, I guess that's a matter of personal preference - the twist locks work well, I just find them slightly more "fiddly" than the flip type, never caused me any grief, and it's a very minor feature difference when compared to the huge feet!

I ran into the Sirui brand when I saw a few pros mentioning them, they are not nearly as well known as Bogen/Manfrotto, but I have been quite happy with the ones I picked up lightly used (as I mentioned, I have the "old" designs with fluid base, the new ones have the panning in the top segment), and don't know of anything i'd consider as an "upgrade", or "better", at least for my needs.

Hope that's helpful, LMK if you have any other questions, but I think this covers the things that I've found in hands on, live fire experience.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 01:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks for the responses! I'm happy with my manfrotto monopod with the upgraded head...the feet could be a little stronger (I use mostly a C100 mk2 with a sigma 18-35mm f1.8 on it-with the shape base and rods...a bit heavy) but the monopod can handle it fine...sometimes I used a XF100 and a Canon 70D...but I was thinking that bigger and sturdier feet like the Sirui might be useful...now I realize that not all feet are created equal!! (something got lost in translation here! oh well!)...the cheaper Sirui has bigger feet than the Manfrotto but not the really big ones that i see in most pics and some videos...If I decide to "upgrade" it would be for the Sirui with the really big feet! but...I think I will pass...if my monopod breaks down, I would buy the upgraded Manfrotto...I just like their stuff, and I certainly would never leave my camera unattended standing on any monopod. Look Mom no hands??!! no way!
But the monopod is a "life-saver' for sure...for sit-down interviews I use tripods but for mostly anything else is my monopod. I like doing push ins or outs and that sort of stuff.A couple of takes and one is good enough.
thanks for the responses
Erick
Old December 3rd, 2016, 04:51 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I run lighter cameras, so the 324x and 424x are overkill, and pretty "safe" to walk away from if not at full extension. Not ideal, but workable in a (admittedly stressful!) pinch.

And yep, all "feet" are not created equal - to me the difference was night and day with the larger footprint of the Sirui branded monopods. Even the 204 has a bigger footprint than the Manfrotto design, and it adds stability. Stability of course is good! I had no complaints with the Manfrottos when I had a couple of them, very solid and reliable, but they were "upgraded" with the big Sirui's, except for the little 560B, there's not anything else quite like it out there.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 06:52 PM   #7
Major Player

I have the Sirui P-224S https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...r_monopod.html which is pretty good, not a huge fan of the twist type locking system but it's ok if the load isnt too heavy. I wouldn't be inclined to have it standing free where theres any chance of vibrations or anything else that might cause it to fall.

My most used monopod is a older model Barber Tech SteddiePod, it's great for free-standing in cramped places etc.
Old December 6th, 2016, 09:35 AM   #8
Regular Crew

thanks Rob...so which ones are the SIRUI monopods that have the larger size feet? I looked at the P-204S and is nice-bigger feet than my manfrotto for sure but I wouldn't go for the entry level. I checked SIRUI's website and they list their monopods but not the size of the feet. Anyone knows how that works? I don't care about aluminium but I care more about the feet size and how high they can go. My manfrotto goes higher than the SIRUI I think. Thanks for any info.
E
Old December 6th, 2016, 09:44 AM   #9
Regular Crew

additional info. I contacted SIRUI Europe and I got a quick reply.

" P-324S and P-424S have 23cm feet the others have 17cm feet.."

so there is the answer-I will just compare the max height

E
Old December 6th, 2016, 03:30 PM   #10
Inner Circle

The 324 and 424 series should match the Manfrotto max height @ around 74" if my memory is right - I think the "S" current ones may be a little shorter than the "X" versions I have - the 424X matched the 500 series Manfrotto I had - plenty of height to shoot over a crowd. The 424 is the highest rated, the 324 is similar but lower weight capacity, and the 224/204 is the "short" basic footed monopod - it's still a solid piece, but I prefer the "tall" ones.
Old December 8th, 2016, 09:52 AM   #11
Regular Crew

thanks Dave...I got really curious and went to a local store and checked out the 324S and 424S- I compared them directly against the Manfrotto. The 424S is just a little lower than the Manfrotto but not by much.
In the end, I got the 424S. I installed a Manfrotto MVH500AH head and I will use it this weekend for a couple of live concerts- it feels really solid and my cameras rigs (C100 mk2/Canon XF300 and XF100) don't go over 8 pounds really but the monopod feels solid-the feet are pretty awesome and the twist mechanism is solid too. Sometimes When I do live concerts, I place 2 cameras side by side on two tripods to cover wide and CUs and two tripods take too much footprint...I will see if using one tripod AND this Surui 424s with the feet locked will do the same and make my set up even more compact.
I will keep my older manfrotto monopod as back up.
thanks
E

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques