Wireless Lav System Recommendations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 9th, 2016, 08:21 PM   #1
New Boot

Wireless Lav System Recommendations

Ive been using a pair of Sennheiser SK 100 for several years, and I have run into several scenarios at wedding events where I'll get heavy feedback / interference around DJ speakers.

Is there a more current wireless lav system that does not have interference issues, something that I can comfortable hook up and not have anxiety about getting heavy feedback during a wedding ceremony?
Eric Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2016, 05:37 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Wireless Lav System Recommendations

Feedback is caused by a loop around of the sound from a microphone being fed to a speaker, then being amplified and picked up by the mic again at an ever increasing volume. If your lav tx is going directly to your camera, then feedback is impossible. What could be happening is that if the DJ is also using a radio system on the same frequency or very close to it, the two systems could be picking up each other's signal creating the problem.

The solution would seem to be best cured by using a wireless system with a selectable frequency so that they don't clash, or simply using an in pocket voice recorder for the lav rather than wireless.

The other remaining possibility is that you are getting echo problems because of the time difference between the sound from the speakers and the direct sound into your lav.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2016, 07:28 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hey Eric

I've done (like Roger) thousands of weddings with the DJ speaker being close and have never experienced feedback .... if your receiver is going straight into the camera input it seems impossible it can feedback as there is no loop to feedback on unless you have a physical speaker that the mic can "hear" it simply cannot feedback. Exactly what setup is being used when you experience the problem?? At worst your lav mic might pick up both a speech-maker's voice plus a bit of the PA audio but it should never feedback. AS Roger says if you are on the same frequency as the DJ and your mic and his speaker are in close proximity then it might happen I suppose.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2016, 08:53 AM   #4
Trustee

Have you ruled out physical damage to the unit? If you're tried out multiple frequencies, my next step would be to test with a different lav mic.

I know with the current Sennheiser G3's (which are pretty much the standard for low-end wireless audio), the included lav mic's are all but disposable - I think every one I've ever owned or used has got a loose connection that introduces static any time the cable moves. It seems to make them more susceptible to interference from electronic devices, too.
Old December 11th, 2016, 02:24 AM   #5
Inner Circle

You could do worse than picking up a couple of the Boya BY-WM5 units which are dirt cheap but use frequency hopping technology so are remarkably free of interference. They are a fraction of the price of the Sennheiser units & discussed here http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...o-lav-mic.html
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques