DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Photomontage effects (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/53328-photomontage-effects.html)

Dan Frievalt October 25th, 2005 12:28 PM

Photomontage effects

I viewed a photomontage here a while back that must have been done in After effects. It had an abstract background image and then several baby pics on top and the camera "flew" through the pics. The pics also rotated and zoomed in and out...very cool!

I can't seem to figure out how to do this in After effects. Is there a tut or something that might be able to help me out?

Dennis Wood October 26th, 2005 08:24 PM

There is a "bonus" tutorial in Meyer's "Creating Motion Graphics with After Effects" 3rd addition volume 1.

Basically you are creating layers from your shots in Photoshop. For example, in a shot with a person in the foreground, you might choose to select the person in one layer, then fill in the background behind them to complete the second layer. These layers are imported into AE 6.5 (which supports this). You then separate and animate the layers in AE, add your camera movements and you're set.

Edit: Here's a free tutorial from Adobe

Mike Cook October 29th, 2005 06:35 AM

Howdy,

Go here and tell if this is the kind of thing you are talking about:

www.TTDWeddings.com

Go to the demo page and look at the "quirky montage". This is created in AE with a little reading from the Meyers books. It is really just placing layers in 3D space then flying a camera around them. One tip to make it easier in the beginning is turn off auto orient on the camera layer

Ctrl>Alt>O and select off.

Once you get the hang of it you can mess with orientation. If I get a moment I might be able to send you a project file but it may be a little bit.

Cheers

Mike

Mike Phan October 29th, 2005 11:27 AM

Hey Mike, that was something i had in mind too, if you don't mind could you pass along the project file? The other one i was doing was pretty much start out on a single picture, then it would zoom out slowly showing a mosaic of other pictures. Finally the screen will reveal a mosaic picture of the subject. I use a mac and an ok program i got to do the mosaic was MacOSaiX. But that montage of yours is very impressive.

David Mathew Bonner October 30th, 2005 03:56 AM

thats some nice work Mike, very impressive.
I like the site too but one thing you should change ASAP, is in your source code.
you need to change the following lines...

<title>Merge Template</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

Change that code to this - of course, change the bold words to what fits for you :)

<title>Calafornia Videographer Todays the day Weddings- Professional Videography</title>
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=iso-8859-1">
<meta name="keywords" content="add key words here that work for you along with these ones professional, wedding videography, wedding videos, events, weddings ">
<meta NAME="description"
CONTENT="Todays the day wedding Video Productions. YOUR LOCATION based video company serving YOUR AREAS with professional Wedding Videography.">
<meta NAME="OWNER" CONTENT="YOUR EMAIL">
<meta NAME="AUTHOR" CONTENT="YOUR NAME">
<meta name="distribution" content="Global">
<meta name="revisit-after" content="30 days">
<meta name="robots" content="All">
<meta name="rating" content="General">

Good luck
Dave

Mike Cook October 30th, 2005 08:47 AM

David -

Err, I am pretty much a web illiterate so fill me in here. I think what I see you suggesting is for search purposes not some security problem - right?

I guess what I am asking is should I be panicing about a security issue or praising you for some great bussiness advice? I mean, I thank you very kindly either way but just want to know how immediate this should be.

Much appreciated!

Mike -

You will need to email and remind me about the project file next week. I am gone till then and will forget. Just email to the address at the website. It is an After Effects project file - do you have AE?

Mike

David Mathew Bonner October 30th, 2005 11:17 AM

no security, its search and esthetics,

The 'title portion' shows up when people
a: bookmark your site - you would like them to se your company name and not the template-
b: on your browser bar at the bottom
c- the content part... if someone searches your site, that content is what shows as the description of your site..

Do change your 'title" portion at the least on all your pages, you do nice work and as they say, you only get one chance at first impressions.

Take care
David

Bill Porter October 30th, 2005 01:03 PM

Dave, good tip!

And since you are from Canada we will let it slide, but he should put "California" and not "Calafornia," LOL

David Mathew Bonner October 30th, 2005 01:33 PM

you mean Kanuhduh :)

Bill Porter October 30th, 2005 07:28 PM

You guys are smart enough to have health care, so I ain't putting a "duh" anywhere in the name!

Dan Frievalt October 31st, 2005 02:43 PM

Mike Cook

Mike,

The montage on your website is the effect I was talking about. Great job!! I have also seen this effect on Fox Sunday Football promo's.

It would be great if I could get the AE file from you to look at. I will send you an email addy.

Thanks Dan

Peter Jefferson October 31st, 2005 06:49 PM

ive always loved ur work Mike, and your attitude to the work itself is refreshing considering the typical attitudes and mentalities to what a wedding video "should" be...

keep it up mate :)

Mike Cook November 1st, 2005 02:15 PM

Thanks for all the kind words folks, it is appreciated.

And thanks also for the web info. I have not had the time to learn much about it other that designing it. All the code stuff is beyond me right now but I will heed your advice and get on it.

For you two who were looking for project files, I will be back in town later this week and try to get them to you. Again, if you don't hear from me, drop me an email and I will shoot them out. I seem to forget alot lately!

Cheers

Mike

Miguel Lombana November 5th, 2005 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Cook
Howdy,

Go here and tell if this is the kind of thing you are talking about:

www.TTDWeddings.com

Go to the demo page and look at the "quirky montage". This is created in AE with a little reading from the Meyers books. It is really just placing layers in 3D space then flying a camera around them. One tip to make it easier in the beginning is turn off auto orient on the camera layer

Ctrl>Alt>O and select off.

Once you get the hang of it you can mess with orientation. If I get a moment I might be able to send you a project file but it may be a little bit.

Cheers

Mike

Cool Stuff Mike! So out of curiosity, how much time did it take to create this clip? ML

Leonardo Silva Jr. November 13th, 2005 05:32 PM

Hello Mike,

That's a neat work you'ave done... thanks for sharing...by the way, i have sent an email to your site address. would there be a chance of sending the project file you have mentioned earlier? thank you very much, appreciate your kindness. Thanks again.