Providing both photos & video with the Panasonic GH5 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 10th, 2017, 01:35 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Providing both photos & video with the Panasonic GH5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
There seems to be an influx of these type of threads and posts surrounding the GH5. When I get this camera I will become Superman, it will redefine video as we know it today and all other camera manufacturers will go out of business, etc. Look it's a nice upgrade, enjoy it but let's not get carried away.
I agree some GH5 posts have veered towards things like 'is this going to kill Sony' (as if) - see the News Section GH5 thread where it has become a tiresome 'How will Sony respond thread'.

That said, this threads speculation on grabbing 18 mega pixel stills from the GH5 6K function is hardly a case of being carried away. Its merely speculating on a new feature that Panasonic are themselves advertising. In considering how effective this feature is, I see nothing but balanced arguments, with many, myself included unsure if this feature would be very useful in practise.

Besides its more than just a nice upgrade. We're not talking Sony 6300 to 6500 jump in features here. So some excitement is hardly unreasonable. For me having a dual card slot, 4:2:2 10 bit colour and 50p 4K are significant upgrades that will be very useful to me in my work. 6K photo function perhaps not so much. Still time will tell when I get mine.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 10:38 PM   #17
Trustee

Well said Steve.

As a Sony fan boy myself. I'm quite excited to use the GH5.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 11:39 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
The problem with video frame grabs, in my opinion, is that every frame is 1/50 or 1/60 of a second shutter speed, which is a little too slow for handheld work. That is, unless you use a faster shutter speed, but then you'll have strobing video footage.
It's not camera shake that's the problem as often the camera will be on a tripod or monopod. The problem is motion blur from movement of the subjects. Grabbing stills from video is nothing new. When I was shooting with a C300 it was possible to take really good stills off the timeline. Canon even promoted various of their Cinema Cameras as having this capability but it's never really been possible to just shoot video & expect to automatically grab the sort of photos that a stills photographer would obtain.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 01:57 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Steve I'd agree that this thread isn't as egregious as the other thread.

I think there always has been a tendency for people looking to purchase a solution without understanding the fundamentals of a given situation. How many times have we heard "What shotgun mic should I buy to film a subject that is 10 ft away?" Generally speaking people seem to buy into marketing info before the camera has ever been released. The manufacturer is trying to attract as many types of users so they are going to say you can do all these great things.

I'm not trying to be overly critical. I'm just a little wary of hype that surrounds these releases.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 02:19 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
Steve I'd agree that this thread isn't as egregious as the other thread.

I think there always has been a tendency for people looking to purchase a solution without understanding the fundamentals of a given situation. How many times have we heard "What shotgun mic should I buy to film a subject that is 10 ft away?" Generally speaking people seem to buy into marketing info before the camera has ever been released. The manufacturer is trying to attract as many types of users so they are going to say you can do all these great things.

I'm not trying to be overly critical. I'm just a little wary of hype that surrounds these releases.
I hear what you say, but looking forward to buying a new camera is one of life's pleasures. I'm looking forward to owning the GH5 and more importantly using it and seeing if these features meet up to expectations. Given the GH4's 4K did not disappoint nor did the GX80's IBIS and the G80's subsequent improvements, I think I have reason to be optimistic at least.
Old January 12th, 2017, 02:27 AM   #21
Major Player

Waiting for some posts from people who actually get to use a GH5.

Until then?

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2017, 03:08 AM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Jackson View Post
Waiting for some posts from people who actually get to use a GH5.
Until then?
... you can always ignore them. :)
Old January 12th, 2017, 09:13 AM   #23
Inner Circle

You might need to close your eyes for a month or more since the camera is back ordered and we will continue our speculations for the foreseeable future.

But I don't think there is any mystery surrounding the camera. If you like the GH4 and find value in the new features its a pretty straight forward decision.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2017, 11:06 AM   #24
Major Player

As far as 'killing' Sony, they supposedly have the A9 rumored. We'll see.

As for offering photos, someone mentioned monitoring shutter speeed, which you can't offer stills at 1/60. Secondly traditional posing & family side (guy/girl/guy/girl, brother/sister/brother etc) plus arranging & gathering them (cousins outside smoking a cigarette) etc. Also, it sounds great but keep in mind days when it rains, and you're at a loss for where to shoot inside.

Secondly, I'll merge this with another thread elsewhere about 'livestreaming' to FB or whereever. Some couples might not see much need to pay alot more for these services ("All you have to do is export a still frame to a jpeg. It's just clicking a few buttons' plus 'I can livestream to FB on my phone, it isn't that hard'. Suddenly we can take on all these added responsibilities in addition to what we currently do, for possibly very little more.
David Barnett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques