USB flash drives 16gb - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 1st, 2017, 06:47 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: USB flash drives 16gb

I never would have expected there would be that much variance between them.

When I was trying to decide which flash drive to buy I was surprised to see the number complaints in the lesser brands like AData. Problems like it wouldn't reformat, extremely slow, to failure after a month. I decided to spend the extra for SanDisk.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 09:25 AM   #17
Major Player

[Nigel]>It's not the PCs that have a stupid 4GB cap it's only if you use the FAT32 file system on the flash drive that files are limited to 4GB. If you format them as exFAT or NTFS or ext3 or HFS+ then there is no 4GB limit.

I’ve tried EXFAT and have had quite a few issues with mounting on a Mac. From these posts it hit me that maybe I was using a bad flash drive. The problem, though, with EXFAT is that TVs can’t play them, from what I understand.

[Nigel]>
Blu-ray can do 1080p@24fps but TBH progressive/interlaced don't really have any meaning with digital displays as 1080i@50i is effectively 1080p@25fps & 1080i@60fps is 1080p@30fps. Whatever Blu-ray has at many times the resolution of DVD & looks enormously better especially on a modern large screen TV.

I trust you Nigel. Sounds like I need to revisit Blu-Ray.
Old February 1st, 2017, 10:19 AM   #18
Major Player

So if exFat cannot be played on tv's usb port , assuming that, then what USB format type will allow 4K content to be watched as 4K resolution ( not watered down 1080 ) ? Without glitches/skipping frames/pausing
issues. Just a clean 2 hour uninterrupted 4K playback on a stick, no boxes or wires attached.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 11:26 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I think whether something is readable can vary widely. My tv for example is very limited it will only play one format mpeg2 and maybe only up to 720p while my Sony Bluray player with usb port can play almost everything mpeg2, mp4, h264, mkv etc

As far as exfat mac and pc should read it.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 12:31 PM   #20
Trustee

My TV can play USB formatted to NTFS and not exFat - tried the latter and it wouldn't recognise it. However it can play 4K uninterrupted as long as I don't see the bitrate too high. I find 60mbps works well giving smooth playback without any judder. I use this for the occasional same day edits, where I do a rough cut of the Ceremony and playback in the evening. Shown on my 55" 4K TV screen I loan for the evening, it plays a 15 min on a loop over 4 hours without hiccups. I've shown longer videos too - not for Weddings.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 03:37 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
What Nigel said, my clients get a blu-ray with footage that was shot in either HD or 4K at 25 or 50fps progressive and it looks equally good on a big HD tv compared to the native footage when I play it on my pcscreen. Then I also supply a usb stick with either the film in HD or 4K with no file limitation as I format exfat so it can be read on a mac, windows and linux. That usb stick is just a carrier for the files, it's up to the client to either plug and play on their tablet or laptop or to copy the files onto a mediaplayer for playback on their tv.
Noa do you supply both Blu-Ray and USB as standard? Care to share a photo of your packaging?
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 03:46 AM   #22
Inner Circle

If you want 100% TV compatibility and large file sizes greater than 4GB then you need to be looking at a HDMI media player such as this. I take one to client's homes to demo my stuff - simply plugs into the HDMI port of a TV and plays back from a selection of memory cards - £22

As far as I can tell It's the same as the TakyBox solution only without the nice looking menu

Cyclone 1080p Micro 2
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 03:34 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
If you want 100% TV compatibility and large file sizes greater than 4GB then you need to be looking at a HDMI media player such as this. I take one to client's homes to demo my stuff - simply plugs into the HDMI port of a TV and plays back from a selection of memory cards - £22

As far as I can tell It's the same as the TakyBox solution only without the nice looking menu

Cyclone 1080p Micro 2
That looks interesting Peter, just looked it up on Amazon.

Thanks.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques