Another Stupid Idea at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 31st, 2017, 06:48 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Another Stupid Idea

Sometimes I just shrug my head when I see things like this which simply devalues all that we, as wedding videographers have worked for

Join Us Live
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 11:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Another Stupid Idea

And not a sample video in sight, of course.
WedReel
Mervyn Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 12:12 AM   #3
Trustee

When I see a site that offers this and that for free, unlimited options, offers discounts and web seminars to drum up trade, you have to wonder how successful they really are. At those prices they need a large turn around to make a decent living. It's the last hope of a person who can't make it as a proper Videographer so tries to find something that could catch on.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 01:17 AM   #4
Inner Circle

So where's the "backside" offer to "editors".... for peanuts of course. Or maybe they use some commercial program to edit (er, mash up?) the endless cuts of shaky, out of focus (and don't forget "vertical format"), clips? My eyes hurt just thinking about it.

This looks like some hare-brained scheme of someone who thinks they are reinventing the wheel, and has some "slick" marketing, but it's hard to imagine it won't be a train wreck of "you get what you paid for".
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 01:17 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Right on!! What amazes me is that you use content from the guests too!! At least the DIY companies in the UK (and here) supply a camera and a bit of training before the wedding.

Sounds like they are out to make a quick buck regardless of the fact how important this day is for the bride. I believe they had a demo and quickly took it down!!!

Did anyone watch the webinar???
Old February 1st, 2017, 02:15 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I have seen something similar at a wedding but with photos, the groom was a mobile phone app developer and especially for the wedding he made an app that would upload all photos to a service like instagram so everyone could watch all photos taken that evening in realtime.

This videoservice however makes not a lot of sense, what if 20 or more people shoot parts of the ceremony and all shoot the vows, will there be 20 different videos of that to watch? or will there be selected one recording that is most decent? or will they sync up all videos in post and do a 20 camera multicam from different angles?

What is most worrying is that they compare their service with traditional videography as if the only difference is price or risk that the videographer won't show up, on their website their is a video playing in the background (on "step 3") which could have been shot on a phone but is nicely steady and well framed and each time shot from a good position. This was shot by someone who has some understanding of basic videoshooting but to use it as a showcase to give couples a idea what they will be getting is very misleading.

Their claim that if the bride is not happy with the result that they will happily refund 100% within 30 days, PLUS cut a $50.00 check just for wasting your time is plain ridiculous, that leaves the door wide open for "unhappy" clients so they can just rip teh dvd they are getting and then say they don't like it. This looks more like a scam to me.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 02:30 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Noa

Not 100% but 110% plus $50 ...they are working on the assumption that no bride will want zero footage of their wedding and I bet the deal is they get 110% back but the guy keeps all the footage. No bride would want that even if it the worst wobbly footage in the world ..they still want some record of their wedding so I doubt if any would claim back and lose their wedding memories.

It's probably not a scam but it certainly discredits real professional videographers which is a shame as we are likened to iPhone filmers .... they say at least 10% of the population are gullible so I would say he is targeting those brides and they probably will be happy too!!

I really cannot see how they would edit a nightmare of 20 cameras all recording from their seats! I would imagine the audio would be just as bad too!!
Old February 15th, 2017, 04:33 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Can you imagine trying to edit that mess?
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2017, 11:27 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Hey Pete

Where have you been? We haven't heard from you for ages!! Hope your wedding business is still going great guns and nice to see you posting on the forum again
Old February 17th, 2017, 06:25 AM   #10
Major Player

It's a pretty neat idea actually. I wouldnt want to edit that much bad footage but still, a good idea.

I see this as doing us no harm whatsoever. Those who can afford a pro and want one will still get one. But we still get people who get our price list and then say their budget is £300 and can we do a deal. To which we say we cannot knock thousands off our price. But people exist who dont want to spend a massive ammount. This simply fills that gap.

But yeah, to make a living from it you are going to need to edit a lot of vids to the point where you will suffer saturation fatigue after a year or less. Unless its just a little on the side earner.

Still, no gear or insurance, no time on the day, meetings. If the footage is crap, has no sound or messes up, not your fault :)
Old February 19th, 2017, 06:20 PM   #11
Trustee

Not bothered because in summary.

There will always be a market for polished 'cinematic style wedding films' as creating a really good, well edited product is impossible to do without putting in the hours, capturing the right angles and bringing the right tools to the wedding (sliders, jibs, gimbals, drones etc).

The only people those products effect are the traditional documentary style camera men.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2017, 07:43 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Ironically WW just tried to get me to re-up my subscription. I should have pointed this stupid seminar out to them as the 356th reason they hurt vendors. I wish I knew where that was on WW. BAH

-------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer
Last updated: January 25, 2017

The information contained on http://www.wedreel.com website (the "Service") is for general information purposes only.

WedReel LLC assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in the contents on the Service.

In no event shall WedReel LLC be liable for any special, direct, indirect, consequential, or incidental damages or any damages whatsoever, whether in an action of contract, negligence or other tort, arising out of or in connection with the use of the Service or the contents of the Service. WedReel LLC reserves the right to make additions, deletions, or modification to the contents on the Service at any time without prior notice.

WedReel LLC does not warrant that the website is free of viruses or other harmful components.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques