'Selling' USB delivery to clients - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 10th, 2017, 05:35 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: 'Selling' USB delivery to clients

Presentation is very important and we deliver printed wrap around sleeves for the DVDs with on body disc printing and a jewellry box with plush lining, a white soft padded case and tissue wrapped in a glossy white card box. The whole DVD and USB package is delivered in a glossy white drawstring gift bag and is always hand delivered.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2017, 05:41 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Regarding the diamond ..yes it's a shiny rock on a beautiful handcrafted gold ring. It has preceived value especially in it's presentation box. Take the same ring and double the stone size but leave it uncut ..it has a much bigger value but zero appeal.

Taky's presentation is good and I'm sure any bride would feel what she has in her hands is worth the money she has paid out. A plastic USB, regardless of what is on it has a very low perceived value when presented to a bride. So, getting back to Pete's question, if you present your end product well it really doesn't matter whether it's big or small as long as it represents the huge amount of money the bride has already paid you.

Take a bunch of stills and get an album in a custom box with a slot for the USB abd the bride will be delighted or use what Taky uses ..it's no big deal to toss in a couple of DVD's to make the end product look even better too.

You don't have to sell the usb at all .. sell your package!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2017, 11:13 AM   #33
Major Player

I often get together with photographer friends that I have known for years, many of which are still behind the lens, and t was no surprise to hear that many clients don't want a printed album anymore as they just want all the images either on a CD/DVD or a USB. They usually say that they will decide on an album later if they do want one. On photographer says his album sales over the past 3 years dropped approximately 40% as was explained why the client (usually the bride) decided on. However he also went to say that the client usually wanted, along with the USB, a small 5X5 or 5X7 keepsake albums for the parents. The photog says it doesn't really cut into his bottom line as his lower package fee is compensated by his lower cost to not produce a large album. But the trend here is that the images can be viewed on a large living room screen, preferably a 4K display.Even a 1080p will show great. I myself have 2 clients this year that do not want a large album. I used to be a full time photog but occasionally will do 1 or 2 a year, mostly for friend's children.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2017, 08:11 PM   #34
Tourist

Good discussion. Definitely a perceived value issue with thumb drives. At the same time Blu-ray never became universal. DVD looks rather bad on HDTV. And few people even use optical players nowadays (not figuring in gamers). Except parents: Almost all of the movies we buy nowadays are for the kids. And we buy the bluray with DVD copy for the car trips.

The real issue is that most adults (our target market) stream their media. But how do we stream a wedding video to a couple's HDTV (along with all their family members and friends) without setting up a media corporation like Netflix? It's an issue I've been trying to figure out as I venture back into marketing my own wedding video business again. Ten years ago it was easy: DVD copies in a nice case with menus and chapter points. Added bonus of a low res online highlight montage.
Mathew Meyerotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 07:30 PM   #35
Inner Circle

For weddings the most prevalent method is all video on usb to couple and only short 5 minute highlight movie online Vimeo/Youtube for friends and family to stream, and parents usually need dvds.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 08:58 AM   #36
Inner Circle

I switched to these last year. I do a full black bag/tissue/cardboard confetti wrap with a red bow. I've been pretty happy with them.
Attached Thumbnails
'Selling' USB delivery to clients-thumbdrivesidetwo.jpg   'Selling' USB delivery to clients-drivesideone.jpg  

Old May 24th, 2017, 02:00 PM   #37
Inner Circle

I deliver my weddings on DVD and USB to each client. The DVDs are on body printed, usually with a photo of the bouquet covering the surface of the disc overlaid with their names and wedding date and in a case with personalised photographic sleeve. The USB stick is a small metal one which has both the video and their stills on, as most of our weddings are for the joint package. The USB is presented in an ivory leather effect small jewellery box which is supplied in a white rigid presentation box. The DVDs and USB are delivered in a white glossy drawstring gift bag.

I've only once been asked for a printed photo book for the photos, which they paid extra for. We offer it as an add on, but I do point out that they can print their own without our overhead costs and even give them the suppliers they can use. I can't be bothered with the hassle of putting together an album, when they are so easy for clients to do themselves online.

Roger
Old May 24th, 2017, 04:57 PM   #38
Trustee

Same Roger +1
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2017, 05:13 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
Same Roger +1
Hi Steve, how did you get on with your writing to USBs in the end?

Roger
Old May 25th, 2017, 05:31 AM   #40
Trustee

Hi Roger ye i sorted it, i exported using settings HD H264, bit-rate 8 max 12, vbr 2, level 4.2. The film was around 45 minutes long. The quality was excellent and played on four TVs. A longer film then i would go 6 & max 12. Steve
Old May 25th, 2017, 05:48 AM   #41
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
Hi Roger ye i sorted it, i exported using settings HD H264, bit-rate 8 max 12, vbr 2, level 4.2. The film was around 45 minutes long. The quality was excellent and played on four TVs. A longer film then i would go 6 & max 12. Steve
Excellent, glad you got it all sorted :-)

Roger
Old May 25th, 2017, 07:00 AM   #42
Trustee

Cheers roger
Old May 26th, 2017, 09:32 PM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew Meyerotto View Post
Good discussion. Definitely a perceived value issue with thumb drives. At the same time Blu-ray never became universal. DVD looks rather bad on HDTV. And few people even use optical players nowadays (not figuring in gamers). Except parents: Almost all of the movies we buy nowadays are for the kids. And we buy the bluray with DVD copy for the car trips.

The real issue is that most adults (our target market) stream their media. But how do we stream a wedding video to a couple's HDTV (along with all their family members and friends) without setting up a media corporation like Netflix? It's an issue I've been trying to figure out as I venture back into marketing my own wedding video business again. Ten years ago it was easy: DVD copies in a nice case with menus and chapter points. Added bonus of a low res online highlight montage.
Every so often you run into these discussions. Where people will say things like
"No one can use USB with their TV's" or "few people even use optical disks these
days." These discussions don't mean a thing because.....there are people from
all over the world in this group. Some places are going to streaming only. Mostly
places with fast internet for obvious reasons. Other places, have slow internet and
customers still use disks (even the tired old DVD) almost exclusively. I find this discussion
interesting only because I have been wondering WHEN WILL DVD's DIE?? I so wish
I could just encode to a USB stick! I'd get to give them a much higher quality product
and it would be cheaper, quicker and easier for me. Unfortunately for me, most people
in my area still ask for disk.....and probably 5-1 DVD's over the much superior Blu Rays.
In fact, here are two emails I received this very day from a event planner...

"Hi Gabe,

I'm contacting you about the June 10th ceremony I spoke
with you about on the phone. The client wants minimal editing -
she wants to see the whole event - and she wants the video
delivered on DVDs (the ones you put in a DVD player).
I'm trying to convince her to get the video on flash drives.

Interested? Hope so! I need bids by tomorrow at noon."

I responded with a few questions about the location and the
equipment they had in the venue.....along with a tentative estimate
depending on several factors (such as how many different
locations would need to be wired for sound etc....) Here is the response

"The Yacht Club upgraded their system recently. If you want,
you can drop by the Yacht Club between 5-7 on Thursdays
(they have a social hour for members) and check to see what they have.

Do you think you need to see what they have before submitting an estimate
or do you think $xxxx is what it is? As we discussed, the client wants footage
of the speakers and wide shots of the room. Not much editing and 10 DVDs
(with labels - if possible). I'm trying to convince her to go with maybe 5 DVDs
and flash drives, but she seems to be set on DVD's.

Look forward to hearing from you."

Ugh. I know what DVD's are 'The ones you put into a DVD player'. I really,
really, REALLY wish I didn't. But this kind of request is all too common for me.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2017, 02:01 AM   #44
Inner Circle

Hi Gabe

I think the bottom line still is "How would you like your wedding video delivered Mam?" The bride is still the client and if she wants DVD's you have to give her DVD's .. Imagine going out to dinner and your steak is delivered to you rare and you Only like a well done piece of meat? You cannot dictate what media you will use.

I did a live broadcast yesterday and yes the bride was quite happy with online video but asked for 2 x DVD's ..one for each mother as that's what they are used to. I saw the website of a competitor a few days ago who also streams weddings ...he shoots and leaves BUT if you really want the backup video for $70 he will give you the card out of the camera. I wonder how many brides could play that??
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2017, 02:26 AM   #45
Inner Circle

For weddings I have stopped delivering dvd's as standard and now give a blu-ray and usb stick with mp4 files. I do occasionally get requests for a dvd but that's a paid option now, I"d say about 20% of my clients request extra dvd's.
I recently spoke to a guy who mainly shoots communions and dance performances and where up to like 2 years ago only dvd's where requested he this year has 80% usb stick and 20% dvd for his communions and plans to go usb stick only from next year.
For dance and theater performances it's different as dvd is still the preferred delivery method but he had one danceschool considering offering USB sticks or download next year because of the higher image quality.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques