Avid Media Composer for wedding edits? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 7th, 2017, 07:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Avid Media Composer for wedding edits?

Just curious if anyone here uses Avid for their editing? I'm a Premiere guy, and while it's solid for the most part, my eyes are starting to wander elsewhere.

I know Avid is king in TV/Movie land, but I'm curious if anyone here uses it as well.
Steven Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2017, 01:23 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Avid Media Composer for wedding edits?

I used Avid for years along with PP on Macs and I'm able to edit with both as my clients demand etc...

I can say the PP 2017 is a far better experience to edit in, PP has grown up BIG time and if given the choice of a NLE to edit on between these two , PP wins hands down for me.

Why, Avid is way to buggy for me and slow, now pan and scan on images... forget that as an easy task, really needs updating. Avid crashes just like all NLE's and exporting can be a nightmare, although the gamma seems fixed however, you still have to know your stuff with this. Avid has its strengths and I think for a one man band/shop Avid is not suitable, well for me its not currently.

Since returning to PP on everything client based, I haven't turned Avid on for months, don't miss it.

I just want to say I'm not anti Avid, I love the software, it's just that Avid has not moved forward really from MC 8 and to be honest MC 5.5 was the best hands down, they killed the code when they moved forward. PP on the other hand has listened and made their flagship currenty the best I have ever used.

I'm adding to this, when Avid went to 64 bit coding on Macs this was for me the biggest issue with basic performance, now they did and have released many versions in very quick succession to fix the software, the latest version looks good but PP still out performs on Mac systems. Avid have also done away with AMA with the latest release.

I reckon if I was starting again after the demise of FCP7 and this is based on cost alone I would go with FCPX. Its a one off fee and you own the thing, both Avid and PP are of course subscription with Avid increasing its fees each year.

Oh.... one last thing. PP will play almost anything, Avid needs to import (convert) everything so, getting footage into PP is faster.

Have fun

Last edited by Simon Denny; April 8th, 2017 at 07:40 AM.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2017, 01:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the detailed reply. Echoes a lot of what I have heard about Avid, so I think I'm just suffering from grass is always green on the other side syndrome.

Premiere is solid, for sure.Has its quirks but so does everything I suppose.

It's funny though, editing natively used to be one of my favorite features about it but I've really come to love the proxy workflow. Especially on bigger projects like weddings.
Steven Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2017, 10:22 AM   #4
Regular Crew

After FCP 7 I thought nothing would come close to it...for wedding videos we need easy to use software that allows us to create a nice story-opening and special titles can be done with AFX-but the main part of the wedding should be easy to assemble...I tried AVID media composer 8...you need to transcode everything really...and titles are not easy to create...so back to premiere CC! very FCP7-like for sure. title are a breeze and works fine with my Canon C100 mk2 mp4 footage. I haven't bothered trying FCPX- maybe I will do an experiment sometime soon but for work that I need to edit quickly Premiere is great...AVID can be used for movies etc but didn't feel right for me.
E

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques