C100 mk3 and the 6D mk2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 10th, 2017, 05:20 AM   #1
Major Player

C100 mk3 and the 6D mk2

I am wondering what Canon have in mind for event shooters who want to go to 4k.

Like a lot of people I was expecting the C200 announcement to be a 4k C100 mk3, not a new type of camera with a new position in the line up.

I use three C100 mk1s in my wedding film business and am now wondering where I go next when the 4k move will eventually need to happen. Many people people have moved to the Sony eco system. I would prefer to stick with Canon because my lenses are all Canon plus the C100 are not compromised with things like overheating and battery life like the A7sii route seems to be.

To me it seems the possible next step with Canon would be a C100 mk3. Failing that, going back to the DSLR form factor (not ideal for me) would be a 4k 6Dmk2 as long as it wasn't a 5Dmk4 type implementation of 4k.

Surely Canon must have something lined up for us event shooters?
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 12:00 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: C100 mk3 and the 6D mk2

Former Canon fan boy. Dumped them 5 years ago. Very happy using all of my Canon glass on E mount Sony video cams via Metabones. You don't have to give up you investment in glass, it can live on for many years....

Steve
Old June 10th, 2017, 05:09 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Burnap View Post
To me it seems the possible next step with Canon would be a C100 mk3.
The C100 series is done. There will be no Mark III.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 02:09 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
I am wondering what Canon have in mind for event shooters who want to go to 4k.

Surely Canon must have something lined up for us event shooters?
Canon have literally dismissed the Event shooters wanting 4K by virtue of their own need to protect cameras like the C300. Even the C200 suffers from this. If the 6D does have 4K, it will doubtless be a similar implementation to the 5D Mark IV. They would hardly make it better or else undermine a higher priced model.

I think the C200 is perhaps your only answer if you'd prefer to stick with Canon with 4K and use your various interchangeable lenses, but it is a costly choice compared to the C100. Many Canon users I know have switched to Sony, such as the FS5 paired with one of the DSLR types or coughed up extra money and gone for the C300. They have not looked back and if you're serious about 4K, you'd be wise to do the same. The Canon equivalent of the GH5 is a long way off, if ever....
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2017, 08:32 AM   #5
Major Player

I just don't understand how Canon could simply abandon a market so popular as the C100. If they just added 4k 100mbs to the mk1 and nothing else, I'd be (reasonably) happy.
Old June 12th, 2017, 09:34 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
I just don't understand how Canon could simply abandon a market so popular as the C100. If they just added 4k 100mbs to the mk1 and nothing else, I'd be (reasonably) happy.
They didn't abandon it. They made the C200.
Old June 12th, 2017, 10:22 AM   #7
Major Player

Sure, but they made it for a completely different type of shooter. Now the event shooter is left with the 5Dmk4 if they want to go 4k?

I thought Canon made the C100 specifically for event shooters who wanted more funcionality and ergonomics than a DSLR.. Now they make drop that market cold? Oh well, hello Sony.
Old June 12th, 2017, 02:24 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Sure, but they made it for a completely different type of shooter. Now the event shooter is left with the 5Dmk4 if they want to go 4k?
What do you think they made it for a completely different type of shooter? The C200 easily shoots 4K, and in a much smaller codec than the 5D Mark IV.
Old June 13th, 2017, 04:03 AM   #9
Major Player

As a wedding shooter I use 3 C100 mk1s. The C200 is double the price of a C100 when it first was released. For anyone who does multi-cam shoots, that's expensive. Secondly, an event shooter usually has a large amount of footage at the end of the day. So the raw aspect isnt of any practical use as there would be too much data to handle.

A C100 with the new touchscreen autofocus and a 100mb 4k implementation would have been fine for me. I will seriously look at the Fs5 and A7sii.
Old June 13th, 2017, 10:46 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
As a wedding shooter I use 3 C100 mk1s. The C200 is double the price of a C100 when it first was released.
I don't know where you get that idea. The C200 is $7500 at B&H at the moment. The C100 I debuted at $4999. I don't know why you think $7500 is twice the cost of $4999, but it's not.

Quote:
Secondly, an event shooter usually has a large amount of footage at the end of the day. So the raw aspect isnt of any practical use as there would be too much data to handle.
Where do you get the idea you can only shoot raw? There are other codec choices available.

Quote:
A C100 with the new touchscreen autofocus and a 100mb 4k implementation would have been fine for me.
The 150Mbps 4K implementation on the C200 is too much for you?
Old June 13th, 2017, 04:28 PM   #11
Major Player

I'm sure i paid 4000 GBP for my C100 when it was new (I could be mistaken though) The C200 is listed fort 7700 GBP.

Sure,150MB 4k is great but i dont want to pay for a feature (raw) i wouldnt use.
Old June 13th, 2017, 06:15 PM   #12
Trustee

I was under the impression that the 150mbps was for 4K at 50p/60p, whilst recording 4K at 25p/30p was at 100mbps. So quoting 100mbps for the C200 would therefore be technically correct. It's hard to find much details in the featured specs list to confirm this. Only one website has broken this down, so feel free to correct me if wrong.

My thoughts is that the mp4 bit rate was identical to the GH5. It's good for event filming, but very limited if any grading is required. Whilst I'd be happy to pay say £4500 for a Professional Cinema Camera with such a limited codec, I'd be less likely or be happy to pay £7500 for one and the inclusion of RAW, a lame duck for event filming would hardly be a sweetener.

Sure they'd be some C100 owners who'd be happy to jump to the C200, but alas it's not the solution for every owner. The higher price can only be swallowed if RAW shooting is a feature you'd benefit from with paid work rather than vanity projects.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 08:44 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Sure,150MB 4k is great but i dont want to pay for a feature (raw) i wouldnt use.
Welcome to the real world.
Old June 14th, 2017, 01:34 AM   #14
Inner Circle

By all accounts Canon aims for their RAW Light format to be as simple to use as any other CODEC & you will be able to directly edit it in Resolve, Avid, Premier Pro & FCP. Simply adjusting WB after the event plus 14-15 stops of dynamic range would be of great use for the event shooter. Admittedly the price of CFast cards is high at present but RAW looks like the future.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2017, 02:52 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
By all accounts Canon aims for their RAW Light format to be as simple to use as any other CODEC & you will be able to directly edit it in Resolve, Avid, Premier Pro & FCP. Simply adjusting WB after the event plus 14-15 stops of dynamic range would be of great use for the event shooter. Admittedly the price of CFast cards is high at present but RAW looks like the future.
The far future, where CFast Cards are 2TB in size, so I'm not changing cards every 15 to 30 mins. Filming a 1 hour Wedding Ceremony with 3-4 cameras and it'll take a lot of storage and computer horsepower to edit that amount of RAW footage.

It's an ideal, but RAW really is over the top for many Event shooting. Promos, music videos, films and TV shows maybe. Your basic event filming has different needs.

Right now with an external recorder, I could get 10 bit 4:2:2 ProRes files with vlog for my Weddings. If I don't feel I need that for my work, why do you think I'd need RAW anytime soon.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques