Request suggestions for Wedding Cake Cutting - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 31st, 2017, 02:22 PM   #31
Trustee

Re: Request suggestions for Wedding Cake Cutting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
While we are on the subject, one of the clues for working with photographers can be, do they use primes or zoom lenses. ....

Just a simple observation, but it does help me to look at the photogs lens gear.
Good point, Steven. It would have been nice to be able to converse with the photographer more, see what equipment they have and what their plan is, but it seemed as soon as she came from the parking lot (they had a shuttle going to town) it was all business (for her).

I had my cam with Røde mic sporting a windshield in hand and the "conversation" probably didn't last more than 30 or 40 seconds. End of discussion. The language barrier was certainly not helpful but she obviously wanted to get on with it, probably late for arrival.

Primes: Nice! I don't have any and looking forward to the day when I do, on a cam for video.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2017, 02:58 PM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
You have to make a decision when you are a wedding videographer about what you are trying to achieve. If the couple are expecting a video of their day and photographs of their day, then you have as much right as the photographer to be allowed to do your job. I often hear on this forum about working around the photographer, but when I am doing video only, I only work around the photographer when he needs to set up poses and groups.
At the civil wedding a few days earlier there was no photographer, just a few people who had their own cameras and smart phones, so this was a new experience for me. Maybe because I had a grey sport coat and tie on over a white shirt, the photographer considered me as a (lowly) guest? Frankly, I had discussed with my wife the option of wearing a black dress shirt but she vetoed that. Heck, the groom wears a black suit so why do I have to wear white? Well, the answer to that is (spoken with respect): "Yes, Honey."

Other options for the future: Wear a black shirt. If that doesn't help, wear a black shirt with a business name screened on the back and a badge. After that, add a skull and crossbones under the company name on the back. Last but not least I thinking: Battle fatigues! :-)

This could be an interesting sideline so we'll see what happens going forward. Just got back from the trip so trying to get caught up. Even further editing is on the back burner at the moment. Speaking of which... will probably be asking a question about what is typical later.

Quote:
During the ceremony, speeches and cake cutting, the photographer has no priority over positioning and those times are essential to have a mutual understanding of each other's requirements.
I'm still burned up about the ring ceremony and the cake cutting.

Quote:
In your instance with the daughter of the photographer standing infront of you, that is totally unacceptable and is not something I would take lightly.
I've thought of doing a Ken Burns on her derrière but that wouldn't be nice. (Doesn't keep me from thinking about it though).

Quote:
As a company, we do video only, photography only and most frequently a combined package, so I am very aware that working together on both is extremely easy to allow space for what each discipline requires.
Just like in construction, it's a good idea to have a general contractor so there is no finger pointing (architects excepted, of course). It really makes good sense to have one person / company do both video and photographs.

Quote:
Just make sure that you are confident enough to assert yourself :-)
Note to self: "Next time!"
Thanks Roger. I appreciated the post and all the nuance details.

Last edited by John Nantz; August 31st, 2017 at 03:00 PM. Reason: deleted duplicate quote
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2017, 12:02 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
That sounds like a holiday :)
I just got back from a wedding
07:30 start shooting at the groom (after 2 hour drive to get there)
08:00 shoot make up and hairdresser at the bride
10:00 groom arrives, first meet
11:00 legal wedding in town hall
11:30 back to parents house for family pictures and to eat.
13:00 church wedding
14:00 photoshoot
16:00 to venue and have first reception
18:00 new reception second group
19:30 couples enters venue and first course is served
20:30 2 speeches
21:00 main dish served
22:00 2 speeches
22:30 dessert
23:00 game organised by friends
23:30 first dance
midnight - I go home, again a 2 hour drive.

This is a average wedding planning I have to go though every wedding I shoot. 2 Weeks ago I had a Chinese wedding with doorgames, 2 theaceremonies and 19(!) speeches in the evening, started at 7 in the morning, ended at 30 min past midnight.
Damn Noa, that's intense. I've had the odd one like that, but certainly not every one. What are you able to charge? It'd better be high given your quality and that workload!
Steven Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 06:54 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
That sounds like a holiday :)
I just got back from a wedding
07:30 start shooting at the groom (after 2 hour drive to get there)
08:00 shoot make up and hairdresser at the bride
10:00 groom arrives, first meet
11:00 legal wedding in town hall
11:30 back to parents house for family pictures and to eat.
13:00 church wedding
14:00 photoshoot
16:00 to venue and have first reception
18:00 new reception second group
19:30 couples enters venue and first course is served
20:30 2 speeches
21:00 main dish served
22:00 2 speeches
22:30 dessert
23:00 game organised by friends
23:30 first dance
midnight - I go home, again a 2 hour drive.

This is a average wedding planning I have to go though every wedding I shoot. 2 Weeks ago I had a Chinese wedding with doorgames, 2 theaceremonies and 19(!) speeches in the evening, started at 7 in the morning, ended at 30 min past midnight.
I hope you charge a lot for that kind of dedication!

Not many videographers here stay until the last dance, which is often at midnight, but even at that I still don't leave the house for the ceremony until around 12 or 1pm. If you cover all that prep, I hope you're charging for it, and I assume you cut a LOT of that out in editing, otherwise you're looking at a 2 disc DVD.
Lewis Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 03:17 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nantz View Post
Good point, Steven. It would have been nice to be able to converse with the photographer more, see what equipment they have and what their plan is, but it seemed as soon as she came from the parking lot (they had a shuttle going to town) it was all business (for her).

I had my cam with Røde mic sporting a windshield in hand and the "conversation" probably didn't last more than 30 or 40 seconds. End of discussion. The language barrier was certainly not helpful but she obviously wanted to get on with it, probably late for arrival.

Primes: Nice! I don't have any and looking forward to the day when I do, on a cam for video.
So just shot a wedding. A couple of days before the wedding I reached out to the photographer by phone. He mentioned that he was 'an aggressive photographer.' Now while I heard the words, it pales in comparison to what the actions looked like. Let's say I have a full understanding of what that means now. There's a level of professionalism you should have in your movements during a ceremony, not shoot it like you're shooting a wrestling match.
Old November 9th, 2017, 01:53 PM   #36
Inner Circle

My latest joy....
Attached Thumbnails
Request suggestions for Wedding Cake Cutting-stopprimes.jpg  
Old November 9th, 2017, 10:35 PM   #37
Major Player

like the photographer in this sketch!

prob not that suitable for work...

:-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques