Music Licensing basics - Help - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 4th, 2018, 01:43 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Music Licensing basics - Help

I noticed in the FAQ for Tracks that licensing is US only. Not sure how this works for uploading to social media.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2018, 08:28 AM   #32
Tourist

Nothing "happened". I left SATV to work with companies like Tracks to develop broader solutions for music licensing. Only so much you can do when working in house for one company. With Tracks, I have the opportunity to help make some big changes by developing new products / solutions for creators.
Sean Melia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2018, 07:47 PM   #33
Tourist

Also, the U.S. territory restriction only applies to where the videographers are based. Social media posts can be shared worldwide.
Old May 6th, 2018, 08:06 PM   #34
Equal Opportunity Offender

Hey Sean, welcome along. You'll soon get used to the sense of humour we have 'round these parts. :-)

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2018, 01:42 AM   #35
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Melia View Post
Also, the U.S. territory restriction only applies to where the videographers are based. Social media posts can be shared worldwide.
I'm still not sure of the implications. Does this mean that only US residents can purchase a licence from Tracks?
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2018, 09:32 AM   #36
New Boot

In line with Nigel's query, as a UK based videographer, can I buy a track for use on a video hosted on vimeo and embeded on my website?
David Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2018, 10:11 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
I wouldn't touch that music with a stick, it reminds me a bit of Songfreedom who also had some popular commercial songs in their database and promised me I was covered, but I wasn't and that was confirmed by Sabam, the Belgian association of authors, composers and publishers.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2018, 11:19 AM   #38
New Boot

Hi Noa
I've seen you mention in other posts that you provide a 5 min film for online sharing. Where do you source music for that (assuming you are using copyrighted material)? Currently, all of my online videos have royalty free music on which is quite limiting.
David Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2018, 11:27 AM   #39
Inner Circle

All my music comes from artlist.io
Old May 7th, 2018, 11:33 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Quote:
Hello. I'm a music rights consultant, former VP of Licensing and Business Affairs at Sony/ATV, and currently working with the newly launched music licensing platform www.tracksmusic.com. Pricing begins at $59 per track for videos and $10 for slideshows, with discounts for bundled credits of 5, 10 and 20 tracks. During Open Beta, all credits are priced at $39 regardless of the number of credits purchased. Please let me know if you have any questions.
If you say you are working with Trackmusic and being paid by them, is your post intended as advertisement to get us to sign up? As far as I know this is not allowed here unless you are a sponsor. But I could be wrong so it's best to let Chris decide.
Old May 7th, 2018, 12:10 PM   #41
Tourist

I understand the skepticism and can't comment on Song Freedom or their practices. I'm posting to let folks know that there's a new resource in Tracks that was launched in partnership with the music business. To do this, agreements have been reached with dozens of labels and music publishers large and small and there will be more deals to come. Right now, the service is limited to U.S. based videographers. This is not a posting limitation for social media, it only affects where a business is based. Tracks is working with the industry to expand this territory, as well as allow for streamlined licensing of additional types of uses such as small business marketing, short films, non-profit and charitable promotions, etc. For some background on where this all started please see https://www.billboard.com/biz/articl...g-system-could

My background can be found at https://www.linkedin.com/in/sean-melia-984360b/. Any questions about music licensing in general, please feel free to reach out on the forum or at sean@rightsandcommerce.com
Old May 7th, 2018, 12:29 PM   #42
Inner Circle

Getting music properly licensed is like opening a can of worms, there are so many exceptions per country and you have to read the fine print or even better, let a lawyer read it for you. Everyone should be very cautious when using commercial music, as long as you stay under the radar nobody might bother you but all it takes is a jealous videographer or your film going viral and drawing attention that you might end up loosing your business if you find out that your music is not licensed properly after all.

A few years back I was asked to use 15 seconds from "start me up" from the Rolling stones for a short animation that I had to provide to be used at a business event where it only was shown once for 500 businessmen on a cinemascreen. Those 15 seconds did cost 13000euro (15500dollar) acc to EMI so the organisation decided to use a more simple unknown song with a 50euro license :). This is just to give you an idea on what kind of invoice you could be expecting if you ever get noticed by such a organisation and when it appears that the license you use does not exactly cover you like you where told.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques