Music Licensing basics - Help - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 14th, 2018, 01:48 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Music Licensing basics - Help

Do they retroactive remove the ads and/or send you compensation putting ads on your video? :p
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2018, 03:07 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
Do they retroactive remove the ads and/or send you compensation putting ads on your video? :p
They put the proceeds of the ads during the dispute into your account when the dispute is settled in your favor.

Perhaps YouTube should charge for storage and streaming cost :p

Last edited by Cary Knoop; February 14th, 2018 at 07:03 PM.
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2018, 04:20 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
What is really silly is that if publishers charged a simple and reasonable fee to use music they would make a fortune from the millions of videos posted every day!!
Well right now on YouTube many charge absolutely nothing for you to use their work, all they want in return is to get income from ads.
Personally I think that is a great model!
Old February 14th, 2018, 07:12 PM   #19
Trustee

I have used jamendo, audiojungle and audionetwork on Youtube and Vimeo with no problems. I always credit the composer and music source as well as list the invoice number with a few digits x out. I am mostly doing non-commercial projects now so the licenses don't cost much.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2018, 08:38 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
They put the proceeds of the ads during the dispute into your account when the dispute is settled in your favor.

Perhaps YouTube should charge for storage and streaming cost :p
I understand both sides but I can’t help feel the rights of individuals and small business get trampled on by corporate entities.

Do you really think if you were paying a subscription fee to youtube they would act any different? Look at tv. The rational was to support free broadcast tv there would need to be ads. Then you had cable tv that you had to pay for the content so no ads right??? Youtube has changed. It used to be an interesting place but now it has become filled with people shilling products or trying to monetize something. It’s rampant with ads.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2018, 09:15 PM   #21
Major Player

Thanks everyone, sorry for venting, was in the midst of it. Against a behemoth like YT "it is what it is".

Yeah, I use Vimeo for my highlights & when sending to brides. I do purchase the songs from SF & TMB as precaution, and I like to emphasize that I do things right. Not sure brides have ever cared, but it also helps me sway them away from the typical "Uptown Funks" and Coldplay/The Chainsmokers "I Want Something Just Like This". I'm just trying to expand my web presence a bit, and you never know if couples now are searching YT for 'Philadelphia Wedding Videographers" a bit as opposed to Google. Just upsetting to do things the right way, and have it blow up. But otoh I suppose every other video has ads so theres that.

Yeah Chris Harding, I had something similar happen, an old video of mine I converted or maybe a friends video of playing at a bar or something I uploaded was flagged. I know they're music wasn't 'licensed' but it was just sorta 'auto flagged' for being music. ( I can't remember the specifics right now).

Not the end of the world as I do use Vimeo, but I'll send an email off to Songfreedom to see what they say as I'm sure others have encountered it. Interesting thought about not sure who these websites are 'claiming' to offer licenses, I never thought of that, although I'm fairly sure they're legit (I hope).
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 01:02 PM   #22
Major Player

Never use YT for professional work. Fills your space with ads and will often autoplay another video which could be by a competitor. Also the use of copyright music for a business such as yourself isnt allowed. They run ads but that doesnt mean its ok to do it. Thats for the common folk.

Also Vimeo DO have an audio listening algorithm that automatically flags copyright work. This only runs on public videos and not private ones as Vimeo us used by big studios to share films for approval and pre-production which features copyright music before they gain clearance. They have said that it is coming though for all videos, they just need to work out that little kink.

So licence all your work. They will only sue you if you go viral (lucky us hey!) but what happens when the day comes where Vimeo and all the other hosting sites refuse to let you use copyright music and take down all your demos?
Old February 16th, 2018, 01:05 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill View Post
Thats for the common folk.
Oh dear!

And the irony, and monetized!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwY...wE3ahCA/videos

Last edited by Cary Knoop; February 16th, 2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old February 18th, 2018, 03:00 PM   #24
Major Player

When did i say I do as I say?
Old February 18th, 2018, 03:11 PM   #25
Major Player

Plus they are licenced. Didnt even notice there were copyright disputes so thanks for the heads up. I get to file my dispute and clear my account :)
Old February 18th, 2018, 04:33 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill View Post
So licence all your work. They will only sue you if you go viral
You mean they sue you when you don't license your work? All my films that are publicly avialable on vimeo contain licensed music that I buy from artlist.io, for all the years I have uploaded to vimeo I never had an issue and I don't expect any in the future.

Eventhough I know that videos placed on YouTube would give me better visibility through a google search compared to vimeo I never will use it, with vimeo I have controll over my films, with YouTube I don't, I watched the first film on your YouTube channel and at the end of the film I got to see a weddingfilm from another weddingvideographer, not something you want if it would be a competitor.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2018, 05:40 AM   #27
Major Player

Our youtube is a little neglected. Today is a cleanup day which will probably mean shutting down the youtube as its a pain uploading to multiple places and having to dispute copyright both times.
Old February 19th, 2018, 01:00 PM   #28
Major Player

HOLY CRAP we had some outdated stuff out there. Didn't even want to bother updating yt so trashed that and did a spring clean on the video stuff. Loads of new features I didn't know they had like you can add a call to action at the end now and not just select a few vids or a line of text.

Also decided to watch our very first vimeo upload. Oh boy!
Old May 3rd, 2018, 02:05 PM   #29
Tourist

Hello. I'm a music rights consultant, former VP of Licensing and Business Affairs at Sony/ATV, and currently working with the newly launched music licensing platform www.tracksmusic.com. Several years ago, I was part of a committee to help find a vendor to build and develop a “micro sync” licensing platform where creators of all types could license popular music for a reasonable fee and share the resulting productions on social media. Tracks has become that company, partnering with the music industry to offer thousands of hit songs from every genre and era for use in professionally produce life event videos, with thousands more to come. The license allows for the posting of licensed videos on social media including Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Pricing begins at $59 per track for videos and $10 for slideshows, with discounts for bundled credits of 5, 10 and 20 tracks. During Open Beta, all credits are priced at $39 regardless of the number of credits purchased. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Sean Melia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2018, 07:04 PM   #30
Equal Opportunity Offender

Hi Sean,

From VP to consultant? I'm almost too scared to ask what happened. :D

I'm finding it interesting just sampling the songs in your collection (excellent source for 1980s music, BTW) as your audio would have a much closer path to the masters than other services would. It's neat to hear the difference / quality.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques