Bought a Zhiyun Evolution gimbal, but....... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 6th, 2017, 03:11 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Bought a Zhiyun Evolution gimbal, but.......

Thank you for the picture of your Zhiyun Smooth Q set-up, quite neat. With that arrangement, however, you lose the sound on the Yi 4K+, since the Yi's side mic is covered. You also cannot view the LCD.

An alternative is to use the horizontal mode with a filler (a bottle cap in this case). Then you have most of the screen in view and the mics are not covered. And the mics are far enough from the gimbal motors so that there is no noise.

Given your aims, I bet you do not care about the stereo audio from the Yi (which is not bad, btw), and you said that you do not need to see the screen. But others may, and this setup (very secure) gives both and is perfectly stable.
Attached Thumbnails
Bought a Zhiyun Evolution gimbal, but.......-camera-1a.jpg   Bought a Zhiyun Evolution gimbal, but.......-camera-2a.jpg  

Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 04:25 PM   #17
Trustee

Stereo Sound Check: Yi 4K+ on the Zhiyun Smooth Q

The point is to check that the stereo mics do their job when the Yi 4K+ is mounted on the Zhiyun Smooth Q - so we have cars going from left to right and right to left and bird calls to check. Plus some moving with the gimbal. No motor noise, and stereo.

Pass.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 05:11 PM   #18
Inner Circle

The sound on your recording is very effective and I understand why you would want to use it, but for me, the camera is secondary to my other cams and I would be using stereo audio recorders most of the time.

When I first got the SmoothQ, I set it up with the holder in the vertical mode so that I could see most of the screen, but found that a lot of the time I was filming low or high shots or in sunlight which was making it difficult to see the screen at all. Using the phone on the extension gives me a perfectly placed and much bigger screen which I can instantly change to any angle. I can of course also completely control the camera parameters from it without needing to touch the camera at all. My setup of course wouldn't suit all users, but I always find it interesting how others work.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques