This clip may help some newbies at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 28th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #1
Major Player

This clip may help some newbies

Hi everyone, I just finished this clip, it was made in order to save my behind from a lousy covering of the entrance of the bridesmaids and bride, it was raining that day so I pulled all 3 cameras in and as soon as the weather broke, they shot out to do the ceremony, I told the DJ I needed some time to set up and to give me 10 minutes before starting, no problem he says, then the coordinator, started sending people about 3 minutes into my setup, so I grabbed my monopod and camera and got what I could, anyway the DVD starts with this highlight and then transitions to the ceremony, it actually worked out better than I thought, I just might do them all this way :), thought I would share so maybe the newbies who may come across a similar problem, maybe won't panic and try this route, enjoy

It is about 35 mb and is quicktime (even though it is streaming, "save as" will work the best, appears streamit now is lagging today)

http://streamitnow.com/customer/aemi..._Stream001.mov

Thanks
AEMIKEA
Michael Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 10:20 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Makes me wonder what your other way of shooting this would be under different conditions. I like breaking from formulas as much as possible.

Now the tech questions.

What camera(s)?

How wide was that lens?!

Monopod, really, looks like glidecam or other stabilizer. When you chase the little girls who runs between chairs/table early on you were just using a monopod? Do you use a stabilizing filter in post?

Those sloe-mos look very clean. Certainly nothing Final Cut Pro can do natively. You using Vegas? On the little girl face close up I can see some strange rippling on "granny's hand" moving on the right. Must be the effect of whatever slow-mo processing.

Again I like breaking from formulas. It gets the creative thoughts going. Good work.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 10:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Craig, the monopod part I was speaking of was the bridesmaids and bride at the end, normally I do a highlight, but I usually don't have it transition to the ceremony, I usually have the processional complete and straight forward with the ceremony, but it was so crappy I had to include it as an end highlight in order to transition it. I used steadicam for the floating shots, and the wierd hand thingy was from using "twixtor" and slowing it down to 10%, I just left it wierd because I did not have time to tweek it. I use premiere pro because I am shooting with FX1's and a fisheye, premiere with the cineform plugin is the best thing going speed and quality wise and I have used the new Avid system to compare it to (actually, no comparison).

Thanks
Mike
Michael Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 06:30 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I wish you made this post a month ago LOL.

My second cameraman(well woman) had just gotten back from filming the bridal prep(she had my primary cam since its much better then my secondary), and she stayed a bit too long. She had litterally walked in the door right as the groomsmen and the MOG started walking in so we missed that as I was running to the other side of the sanctuary to setup my cam and swap the shotgun mic with the wireless reciever. We found out later, the groomsmen started 5 minutes too early.

I think I might start out the next wedding like that as well.
Ken Hendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 09:34 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Mike, thanks for the info. I played with Twixtor. Hopefully the interface has improved since I last looked. I have Boris Continuum Complete so I may try its "time" plugin. FCP does not do the greatest slow motion. It simply offers "frame blending" on/off. It doesn't interperlate new frames. Oddly Compressor 2 has great Optical Flow and I believe some folks have worked out kludged work flows to use it.

I have a fear of using "steady" devices for weddings given the setup time they can require. It's interesting that much of the underlying context of this thread has to do with what goes awry with time management and how to work around it in both production and post.

Maybe it's worth starting a thread on time management and what to do when things change and how to fix them.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 01:00 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Craig, I have used evryone of the "retime" type plugins and twixtor seems to work much better than Boris does, but maybe you can come up with some good settings and share them?

Thanks
AEMIKEA
Michael Stewart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques