For the people that film dance... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 11th, 2018, 06:15 PM   #1
Trustee

For the people that film dance...

Hi everyone,
I do a heap of concerts each year but occasionally you see something that's a little special, (the capture turned out ok as well :)
Old February 15th, 2018, 04:29 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: For the people that film dance...

Very nice.... that is a very popular song last year or so for dance recitals (in the UK)...

Here is a extract from what is actually a school production of Miss Saigon, they actually had a full size hydraulic helicopter and an actual car on the stage! Budget, budget, budget!

We had 6 cameras setup in total with 3 operators (1 left, 1 right and 1 central raised with a few static cams with them central as well).

Makes a great change to usually dance shows to do this type of thing, so much fun to edit too...

Old February 15th, 2018, 06:35 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Awesome Gerald!!

Just for interest how did you distribute this show? DVD, USB or download???

Seems to be a really tricky situation and not many know whether to move on from DVD's now and if they do, how to cost it!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 04:36 AM   #4
Trustee

Hi Vince,
That looks like an awesome show to shoot.
Did the shows budget reflect in your sales?
I've always thought about having extra manned cameras and how much better it would look with multiple zooms, panning, focus pulls etc, but always pushed forward on my own with the statics.
If the budget allowed though.....
Nice work :)

Hi Chris,
Im still almost 100% DVD based.
A few schools this year are giving online delivery a try at my request.
As mentioned in the other thread, I will only do it with full payment up front though.
I just make the schools a retailer with me being the wholesaler. Give them the opportunity to make money out of my product.
What small business doesn't want to make an extra $1000 or more for collecting some money.
Old February 16th, 2018, 07:36 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks Gerald

Good idea! plus of course, even as the wholesaler, you still make a profit on each DVD! On my last one I must admit it was a nightmare running orders when some want the junior dances and some want the seniors and some want both so I found myself spending entire days burning DVD's, printing DVD's and then delivering box loads of them to the dance school who did the distribution!

I think I will try out the live stream concept this year so there is no huge workload making physical media and we would edit live too. Our CDN creates the online video for us during the live stream so it's quite an efficient way to go BUT no extra income from a spurt of DVD sales over and above what one expects!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 11:53 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Did you licence the music for the video? Normally for amateur productions the Grand Rights are all that are offered & Mechanical Rights are unavailable or ludicrously expensive.

Last edited by Nigel Barker; February 16th, 2018 at 10:59 PM.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 01:16 PM   #7
Inner Circle

In the UK, all those production have very specific NO VIDEO RECORDING PERMITTED clauses in the contract, and I didn't think licensing was actually possible on those big musicals. I know they're all over youtube, but technically you can't licence them at all?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2018, 04:14 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Reference the point on the licensing, In fact for the production the school were able to include the provision of 100 x DVDs to be produced (that is the maximum, I believe they can request either a smaller amount or 100, but 100 is the max). I have found also that the full musical versions tend to not allow that option, but this was Miss Saigon School edition, so maybe that is how they achieve it.

For the costing, yes we don't often have this many staff on a production, but we really wanted to through a few more camera men at this one, it is a college local to me and I always like to try to support the local schools a bit where possible, but with 100 DVD sales the income was also pretty good.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques