DVD printers - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 6th, 2018, 07:24 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: DVD printers

Inkjet printers by their design are susceptible to clogged heads that results in banding. I find if the printer isn’t used on a daily basis printing something that uses all the colors it increases the chances of a clog. I also believe dry air in winter and 3rd party ink are contributing factors. Cleaning cycles will only do so much.

I got the canon mx922 because the heads can be easily removed cleaned and if necessary replaced. Despite being able to remove the heads and soak them in a bowl of alcohol over night I’ve experienced limited success so after a few years when nothing works I buy new heads. I print hundreds of full color dvd and go through lots of ink. I really couldn’t afford using oem ink. I save close to $1,000 with 3rd party ink so even if it clogs more often it’s still worth it.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 11:39 AM   #17
Inner Circle

I've been thru the low cost DVD printer grinder recently and I ended up doing something that probably won't be applicable to everyone. I had a small Primera Auto-Printer for many years and if you are doing a lot of DVD disc printing, it's really worth it. Expensive but to not have to manually play with each disc is extremely helpful in terms of saving time. Now that I don't print as many discs anymore but still need the capability I researched low priced options.

A few years ago I discovered the Epson Artisan 725 and it was an excellent way to have a printer/scanner that could also print DVDs for only $100. The printing is excellent and the printer has a mechanized tray that you only had to drop the blank disk onto and then press a "go" command to print. Unfortunately the printer has been discontinued and the printers I purchased both developed hardware problems with the LED touch control panel that makes them unreliable for heavy usage. You can't continue disc printing if the control panel goes black or malfunctions.

So I moved "up" to an Epson 830. Unfortunately Epson no longer make an economy printer that has the mechanical tray so now we have to use a manual tray that adds several steps to the printing process for each disc. After a year of struggling with this printer (it has a number of strange quirks) it started to leak ink on the disks, ruining them. Researching the 830 online, it seems this ink leak is a common enough problem without a definitive solution. So I took the 830 home where I never do disc printing and purchased a Canon MX922 for the office.

The Canon MX922 is a really good all around scanner/printer and once you get the correct disc template (which is not the same as other Canon disc capable printers), it make great disc prints. Better than the Epson. However it is also a manual tray style DVD printer requiring several steps for each disc. Still frustrating for spoiled me. For example, the job I am doing this week I have to make two BluRays each of 30 different programs I edited. What did I do? I took the still working Epson 725s and print as many discs as I can with one and if it malfunctions, either wait a while after turning it off and then resume or turn on the second Epson 725 and continue.

I'll continue to use the Epson 725s until they completely fail or one of these companies gets around to providing a mechanized disc tray again.
Old February 13th, 2018, 12:34 PM   #18
Trustee

cheers william
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2018, 01:17 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Been a long time....
I use Canon ip7250 and I used to buy compatible inks from Amazon, as they are so cheap! But I noticed after an average of 6 month colours are disappearing from the prints, becoming totally unusable!

So for me, no more compatible inks, only original Canon inks.

I do offer custom DVD case and disc design with printing service. Quality is very important for me.
I have many clients from around the world including photographers and videographers.

P.S.

If you want to save time on production, then you are welcome to visit my shop: http://weddingfilmslondon.co.uk/shop/

Sounds like an advert ;))
Sorry

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques