Dance Recital Video Distribution Revisited - Page 4 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 11th, 2018, 07:16 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: Dance Recital Video Distribution Revisited

Hi Paul

I see your point! However there is still no easy solution in most countries ! We now have a licence in Australia that allows you to put videos online as long as they have a password. However the moment you host it on any non Australian site you are back to square one as YouTube works on USA law so even if you could find a server locally It will more than likely cost an arm and a leg for decent bandwidth.

I wonder what would happen if you set up your own server as Paul Mailath hinted on, is that technically "broadcasting" ?? A private server with nothing but video files and never advertised or promoted with password protect isn't physically broadcasting or is it?? I wonder, even if that is considered broadcasting, they would still have a tough time finding your files?
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2018, 11:27 PM   #47
Inner Circle

Those bit rates are ridiculously high. Netflix & Amazon stream 4K video at 15-20mbps but for 1080p itís no more than 5mbps while 720p would be 1.5-3mbps.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2018, 07:28 AM   #48
Inner Circle

No - I'd say it's not broadcasting, but here, they add in extra terms to make sure it's a catchall. However wee have a version for online downloads that's quite cheap and just has a £12,500 annual income from downloads as a rule. Is there nothing like this available your side of the water?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2018, 04:57 PM   #49
Inner Circle

Hi Paul

We DO have an online option now but the video does need to be password protected BUT (and that's the BIG BUT) it only covers video hosted on an Australian server so you cannot pay for your licence and set up , say, a vimeo account and password because they will ping you as they recognise USA law. I dunno about the UK but here hosting is pricey and the word bandwidth causes jitters. I host my websites on an LA server (powweb) for something like $25 a quarter and that gives me unlimited files, unlimited space and unlimited bandwidth. I think the option here was designed to cater for the wedding videographer who wants an online sample of a few minutes rather than a dance recital producer that has 4 hours of a performance with hundreds of viewers.

Nigel?? We do regular livestream weddings each week and those are sent to the stream server at 2mbps and the quality looks pretty darn good at 2mbps .. Never had a complaint from brides .. in fact I shoot a backup to card at the same time at Panasonic's 28mbps but only render that out at no more than 8 mbps as an MP4 file ..I could probably get away with 4mbps for the backup
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Adorama
(800) 223-2500
New York, NY

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Texas Media Systems
(512) 440-1400
Austin, TX

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

VideoGuys
(800) 323-2325
Mineola, NY

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques