Vimeo alternatives - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 6th, 2018, 01:54 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Vimeo alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Can you not do a path trace from where you are to where the nearest server is? That might show you where the holdup is??
If neither my provider not vimeo can tell me what the issue can be then I won't either, it's not like I have a problem all the time but I often get feedback from my clients that the video stalls or stutters, I see that too sometimes or like yesterday the playbackquality looked quite poor, when I went to YouTube to play a 4k video that played fine.

There don't seem to be so many alternatives, I have seen videographers use wistia but they are very expensive at 99dollar per month.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2018, 02:14 AM   #17
Regular Crew

You're absolutely right about that,Noa.
Vimeo is slow...all the time.
And I'm in Canada.
But unfortunately we have no alternatives.
And by the way all my friends are complaining about Vimeo,also.
Old August 6th, 2018, 08:18 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Left Vimeo years ago, ditching my subscription.

Aside from the player/deliverability issues, the telling sign for me is that they can'r even keep up with taking down videos clearly in breach of their guidelines (and they've been notified of them for a few months). It's as if internally they have given up. Hearing about their forum only support mechanism doesn't surprise me.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM   #19
Major Player

I've never noticed any playback issues on Vimeo - but right now I'm more concerned about the complete account take downs that have been going on for music violations etc with no warning.
Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Is this for films that are private with password or films that are publicly viewable?

Where did you hear about this?
Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM   #21
Wrangler

Saw this article a couple weeks ago and was thinking about posting here, but figured you guys already knew about it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ool/848216002/

"My friend David Medill got the shock of his life this week when he was banned from the Vimeo video service for copyright violation. His sin: He makes wedding videos, and he sets them to the tunes of Ed Sheeran, Marvin Gaye and Father John Misty."
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM   #22
Inner Circle

All my music that I use online in my short highlights to promote my business has music in it from artlist.io and I have a yearly subscription to use their music. Those videographers who think they can use Ed sheeran songs in their online videos without paying for a license know what the riscs are, if their account gets deleted it's their fault and they should consider themselves Lucky that this is the only thing that is done. I"d say it's about time Vimeo takes action, if getting rid of all videos that have no licensed music would mean my films would play better then I gladly would stay with them. :)
Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM   #23
Trustee

I agree with Noah. I pay for a music license or use an Attribution Noncommercial license if allowed by the owner. It is the right thing to do. A couple of years ago I had a Vimeo and Youtube user steal 24 video clips of mine. I filed DMCA complaints with both services for each clip stolen. It was a tedious process. When the user wouldn't pay for use of my videos I notified Vimeo and Youtube that the complaints were not resolved and his time ran out. They deleted over a 100 user videos and closed both his account. Then the belly-aching by the user really began but to late for him.

Last edited by Mark Williams; Yesterday at 09:00 PM.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Adorama
(800) 223-2500
New York, NY

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Texas Media Systems
(512) 440-1400
Austin, TX

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

VideoGuys
(800) 323-2325
Mineola, NY

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques