"best" small camera for Gimbal and B roll? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 18th, 2018, 01:02 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: "best" small camera for Gimbal and B roll?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Riding View Post
"I just hate the idea of these small cameras having a 30 minute recording limit! "

Erick, You probably know already, but just in case: you can circumvent the 30 minute limit quite easily by using Magic Lantern. I know some users worry about ML but I have used it frequently on two 5D Mk II's without any issues. The only function I ever use with ML is to run beyond 30 mins up to the card capacity or battery capacity. I use these even now occasionally and its very acceptable at 4000ISO 50fps f5.6 as B-cams. I understand ML is also usable on the 70D.
ML doesn't circumvent the 29'59" recording limit. The recording limit still exists but Movie Restart will restart recording when you hit the limit but there will be a loss of a second or two in the recording. This can be worked round of course but does make synchronisation with other cameras problematic.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2018, 01:48 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post
Of course the arguments against 4K are the same we had for upgrading from SD to HD.
SD to FHD was a much bigger leap forward, while 4K (and soon ish 8K!) are hitting harder diminishing returns.
Old September 18th, 2018, 03:33 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Peterson View Post
SD to FHD was a much bigger leap forward, while 4K (and soon ish 8K!) are hitting harder diminishing returns.
Be fair, HD was the first major upgrade to picture resolution for TV for decades. HD had considerably less time as top resolution before 4K came along. I agree about 8K, but in time with HDR linked to it as well, 4K has the potential to be more accepted even than HD. Once we get 4K broadcast, those who sat on the fence about HD with their SD channels and DVDs may see more of a difference in 4K than they currently do in HD. Not in the next 4 to 5 years, but eventually broadcast technology will catch up with video specs.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2018, 04:19 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
ML doesn't circumvent the 29'59" recording limit. The recording limit still exists but Movie Restart will restart recording when you hit the limit but there will be a loss of a second or two in the recording. This can be worked round of course but does make synchronisation with other cameras problematic.
You're being your usual pedantic self. Its easy peasy to sync with other cams and to work around momentary restarts.

The only instances when I'd had to resort to unlimited clips have been legal ones in which its not usable evidence if any files are split.

I routinely sync with Pluraleyes. I used Pluraleyes 2 until recently as I didn't much care for version 3 but I had to upgrade PE to use Vegas Pro version 16. I've started using PE 4 and its fine. For last Saturdays wedding I ran a 5DII with Magic Lantern as it was inaccessible for the ceremony and the reception, both of which were scheduled to run for well over 30 minutes. I also ran a 5D-IV and a 6D-II, both with 30 min limits but I was able to restart at the most opportune times. In addition I ran a Gopro 6 as a safety during the ceremony - it was too dark for GP's indoors afterwards. The GP6 of course runs indefinitely; its battery only lasts about an hour but its 128gb card was good for almost 6 hours. A GP6 can run on various gimbal batteries if needs must among other options. I also had 3 small audio recorders for the ceremony and reception and of course these have no upper limits.

I'd rather there wasn't a 30 min upper limit but in practice its seldom an issue and is a doddle to cut between two or more cams if one has a restart at a crucial moment.

Incidentally, the GP6 is surprisingly good compared to earlier versions for weddings. I only ever expected it to for emergencies or for very specific moments such as confetti throws outside in good light; but its new linear facility which kills the fisheye effect and in decent indoor ambient light it can be very usable. At this wedding a guest blocked my main cams view at the last moment as the recessional was in full flow. I got her out the way but no opportunity to reset the bumped main cam. Its "emergency" GP6 did this:

https://www.ashtonlamont.co.uk/image...ab-12_hasx.jpg

Certainly better than nothing!
Peter Riding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques