DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Step up from the 70D? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/536250-step-up-70d.html)

Evan Lindman September 18th, 2018 04:22 PM

Step up from the 70D?

Hey, everyone!

Not sure if this thread should go in here, but it is wedding videography related.

I have the C100 MK1/2 and I absolutely love them for weddings. With that, I also have a 6D and two 70Ds. I have Ronin that I use for weddings all the time, and I'll sometimes put my C100s on it, but it's just too heavy, so I've lately been putting my 70D on it (Ronin) because it has fairly decent video autofocus tracking.

The video quality on the 70D isn't bad, but I kind of want an upgrade. I was thinking maybe some Sony 4k camera.

What are your thoughts?

David Barnett September 18th, 2018 06:28 PM

Re: Step up from the 70D?

Are you sure you'd want to mix Canon & Sony? For starters, different lenses/mounts. Sure there's adaptors but unless there's a major reason, not sure I'd wanna mix that. Then, different coloring/hues, might be tough matching up the cameras. One could be blueish outdoors, reddish indoors, the other the opposite.

Just my take on mixing brands. I'd try to avoid it. Unless there was 1 specific camera you wanted (a7siii, a9 etc)

Chris Hurd September 18th, 2018 07:23 PM

With the Canon 80D you'll get the headphone jack that's missing from your 70D.

Are you using the Canon EF-S 10-18mm image stabilized ultra-wide lens? It's under $300 and tailor made for what you're doing.

Rob Cantwell September 18th, 2018 08:16 PM

i have a 70D, but i'm not very confident of it's performance, the particular one i've had has had two trips to Canon repair for out of warranty attention. I certainly wouldn't depend on it for mission critical footage.

Sometimes a brand of camera wont have a major impact anyway, like in a dance area with laser lights etc.

All depends on what your trying to capture!

R

David Peterson September 18th, 2018 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan Lindman (Post 1946861)
The video quality on the 70D isn't bad, but I kind of want an upgrade. I was thinking maybe some Sony 4k camera.

It is good to look at Sony, as Sony has leaped way ahead of Canon for a long time now.

So has Panasonic (and Blackmagic Design), even always ahead of Sony.

However if it very specifically is auto focus that you care about, then I wouldn't pick Panasonic/BMD over Sony.

But I'd also consider Nikon, as in terms of image quality Nikon DSLRs have been at least equal (if not ahead!) of stock Canon DSLRs for years now.

However with Nikon's new Nikon Z6 mirrorless camera then they've taken a leap ahead of Sony in the mirrorless camera with video specs, and the Z6's autofocus is looking very impressive too.

Nigel Barker September 18th, 2018 11:47 PM

As your main cameras are your C100s then you are shooting HD not 4K so the new EOS R could be a great fit. No problems matching the colours & you get to use all your lenses with the supplied adapter plus Dual Pixel Auto Focusing.

Peter Riding September 19th, 2018 01:09 AM

Evan, if the new Canon EOS-R comes into the equation this very recent video from Tony Northrup may be useful:

Since you are using your Ronin gimbal (?) a lot then DPAF may well trump anything else in terms of whats best for your style of work.

I don't know which Ronin you're using but if you acquire the recent one or the Zuiyun Crane 2 (not the confusingly named earlier Crane v2) the extra payload capacity may well work fine with your C100.I found the v2 typically with a 5D-IV, a 24-105 f4L and a Rode Videomic Pro was not very happy but the Crane 2 easily copes and indeed you can mix bodies and lenses without having to rebalance as the Crane 2 is so strong. I chose the Crane 2 over the newest Ronin, can't recall why now, but I do find that for Canon its great that you can control so much direct from the gimbal e.g. aperture, shutter speed, ISO, exposure compensation, even focusing without having to touch the actual cam or use a smartphone.

David Peterson September 19th, 2018 01:35 AM

If Gimbal work is what a person wants for it, then I wouldn't be keen on the EOS R due to its massive crop of the sensor. While the Nikon Z6 or FujiFilm X-T3 reads the entire sensor

Steve Burkett September 19th, 2018 02:48 AM

Unless shooting 4K and your A camera suggests not, then the EOS R is a viable choice. Lighter, so less strain on the arms than balancing a C100. With an adapter will work with your existing lens, and auto focus and colour will be consistent and in the case of AF greater than what you currently have. Good AF is very useful for gimbal work. Panasonic still needs to sort theirs out. Sony has but colours will be a challenge and require more work in post production. Nikons new Z6 is good, but you're talking a different system.

Alas there's no perfect solution here. This was discussed in a very recent thread. Unless 4K uncropped is something you see as essential, then the EOS R offers a good match for your current setup.

Or you can wait and see if this rumoured Panasonic fullframe both is true and has excellent AF. Announcement is the 25th for March delivery, but it's still a big if whether auto focus will ultimately match the competition.

Peter Riding September 19th, 2018 03:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Evan, a bit more info about handling the heavier gimbal assemblies in case you don't already know.

This photo shows the Crane 2 in use in the centre of the 3 photos below. I added the Zhiyun arm as its easier to use than just the gimbal on its own, and you can of course add accessories to the arm should you wish e.g. a Gopro.

The Crane 2 comes with a decent mini tripod as shown.I use a Manfrotto 577 QR ADAPTER WITH SLIDING PLATE so I can instantly remove the gimbal assembly from the tripod base and drop this straight into a Manfrotto compatible video head such as on the monopod illustrated in the right of the 3 photos or into a normal tripod obviously.That particular monopod was modified by me to include a base with three long feet usually used for floor photographic lights; its then stable enough to work without holding it and is a lot more adaptable than a tripod in confined spaces.

You can also add a Manfrotto 080 Monopod Belt Pouch. The gimbal tripod folds and fits into the pouch. You can then shoot using the gimbal for extended periods without your arms suffering. The only downside is that the actual camera height is then about boob height so you need to lift it out of the pouch if you need higher - or use a suitable screw-in extending shaft between the top of the closed Zhiyun tripod and the base of the Manfrotto adapter.

https://www.ashtonlamont.co.uk/video...ilation-01.jpg

David Peterson September 19th, 2018 08:24 PM

Nikon has been showing very nice autofocus (remember, this is not with native lenses, but adapted lenses! And this is their first generation FX mirrorless that is not even shipping yet. Is only going to get better!):

That is like magic!

Love the slow motion too:

Evan Lindman September 20th, 2018 07:48 AM

I should've clarified, I have the DJI Ronin‑M 3‑Axis Handheld Gimbal Stabilizer.

I am not looking to debate Canon vs Sony. I love my C100s and I still think they are very wedding industry standard for what I am doing.

A wedding videographer on YouTube also has two C100s and this Sony for his gimbal/Ronin shots: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BFD1CYI/din02c-20

Thoughts on that camera?

The 70D has great video, I'm just looking for better quality. I always use my 24-105 Canon L-Series (Red Ring) lense on the Ronin-M. Maybe I just need a better/prime lense?

Steve Burkett September 20th, 2018 08:59 AM

It's not a bad camera. Quite popular when it came out and a good price too if that's a consideration. You'll need an adaptor for your lenses and I'm not sure if that affects auto focus. A good adaptor shouldn't, but I've never used any, just native lenses for my cameras.

Colours maybe an issue for you after working with Canon. You'll notice the difference. If you can live with that, go for it. It does 4K if you need to. It's not fullframe but then neither is your C100. I think the EOS R would be an easier fit but it's new, much more expensive and still needs an adaptor for your lenses. Though 1 is due that has ND filters which would be a major plus.

Noa Put September 20th, 2018 09:28 AM

Quote:

I am not looking to debate Canon vs Sony
I"m not seeing a canon/sony debate here but several usefull suggestions so far for "better quality" video, also, a c100 is not a very wedding industry standard camera, it's "a" camera of many that are being used for weddings, full frame Canon dslr's have been very popular wedding camera's for years , Sony full frame camera's have been gaining a lot of interest and Panasonic has even managed to make full frame addicts turn heads.

Back to your original question, if I understand you right you want something smaller en lighter that has a image quality that matches your c100 or better and has good autofocus and is not too expensive?

Changing the lens from a zoom to a prime on your 70D won't make much difference, depending on the price of the lens you might see slightly better overall or edge to edge sharpness but not that it suddenly will match your c100 because that one gets it's image from a 4K sensor from what I understand which explains why it is so detailled. Canon dslr's like a 6D and 70d produce a softer image and there is not much you can do about that.

That Sony a6300 4K quality is excellent and even will outperform your c100 but you will loose any slow motion capabilities in post, the 1080p on that camera however doesn't come close to the amount of detail this camera can resolve in 4K, the difference is obvious. Also based on all complaints about this camera I have read is that the lcd screen is very difficult to see in the sun so a external monitor might be needed. Autofocus looks good and low light performance as well so this might be an option.

Noa Put September 20th, 2018 04:01 PM

Evan, I just see that about a year ago you asked the same question but then you wanted to know what a good step up from your c100 was, I also see several people including me replied but you never bothered to reply back to us, I hope you are not wasting our time again now :)