Vimeo shut down my account - Page 6 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 8th, 2018, 04:09 AM   #76
Inner Circle

Re: Vimeo shut down my account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post
'Being sued' is a general expression used to define any claim for damages regardless of court action. However it's just that, an expression. A lawsuit, ie legally being sued requires something to be filed with a Court of Law. Unless done in this singular instance of a Videographer being pursued for money in relations to copyright music, then legally he was not being sued.

However whether it's sued or not, makes no difference to the discussion. The guy got caught out and had to pay up regardless of the legal term for the claim.
He is also in all the years of YouTube & online videos in general the only known instance of somebody being chased for use of unlicensed music on a wedding video.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2018, 06:14 AM   #77
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
He is also in all the years of YouTube & online videos in general the only known instance of somebody being chased for use of unlicensed music on a wedding video.
Agreed. I think the music industry has more to worry about buyers passing their music onto others. Copying say my favourite album as mp3 to my Brother so he can avoid paying for it himself affects the artist financially in a way sticking a bit of music on my video ever does.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2018, 08:47 AM   #78
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post
Agreed. I think the music industry has more to worry about buyers passing their music onto others. Copying say my favourite album as mp3 to my Brother so he can avoid paying for it himself affects the artist financially in a way sticking a bit of music on my video ever does.
Now that the music industry has pretty much given up on CDs apart from special box sets they should be more worried about apps that allow you to rip the album from your free Spotify account at 10X real time. Then you can give it to your brother & neither of you paid for it.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2018, 02:12 PM   #79
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Now that the music industry has pretty much given up on CDs apart from special box sets they should be more worried about apps that allow you to rip the album from your free Spotify account at 10X real time. Then you can give it to your brother & neither of you paid for it.
The World is dominated by money. As are most motivations. Why don't most Wedding Videographers get law suits, it's because we are not worth much money. The moment a video goes viral it's assumed it's worth some money and if the artist or those who represent them, whose music is used, feels he or she isn't getting their share, they make a claim. Its that simple.

I have no problem with anyone using my video as long as I am registered as it's owner. Why, because it could potentially bring me money. If I use copyright music in my videos, unless it is felt it's bringing in more money to me than to the artist who made the music, no one has a problem with it. Why, because any publicity is good. If my videos get used, it can help my Business. Same goes for music. A Marryoke with Ed Sheeran promotes Ed Sheehan. Promotion is good. It sells. As long as it doesn't go viral and benefits me more than Ed Sheeran, he or his representative won't care. Hence why most Videographers are spared law suits. It's more damaging than any benefit from a claim can bring.

Could I pay xxxxx amount of money, no. So I'm not worth targeting and not worth the hassle or even the potential negative publicity such a claim could lead to. Only beurocratic organisations would seek damages in such cases, simply to justifuly their existence.
I could still get banned from Vimeo or blocked on YouTube. So copyright does affect me. But not for possible lawsuits by the music industry, who cream a small share from advertising and if they don't like the deal, they simply don't allow it.

The World is governed and shaped by those whose motivational reasons to do things are often personal and petty, copyright included. And if you feel that's silly, look at any political initiative, be it Brexit or Trumps laws. Few of us see or respect the bigger picture in these matters. We look out for ourselves, nothing more.

Even what is morally right is often just done as an excuse to make us feel better about ourselves or our lives a little easier.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2018, 04:54 AM   #80
Inner Circle

In the 1920s when radio stations started playing music the record companies bleated that it would put them out of business because if people could have music for free on the radio why would they ever buy records? Eventually a way of delivering payment for radio plays was negotiated. The record companies also realised that plays on the radio were a great way of promoting the sale of records.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Adorama
(800) 223-2500
New York, NY

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Texas Media Systems
(512) 440-1400
Austin, TX

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

VideoGuys
(800) 323-2325
Mineola, NY

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques