recommended USB drives? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 3rd, 2019, 09:05 AM   #1
Major Player

recommended USB drives?

We've talked about this periodically but time passes and things change so....
What USB drives do you guys recommend for USB delivery?
Any sites where you can get a quantity to save money?

Right now I'm interested in this for dance recitals but eventually for weddings too.
David Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2019, 03:44 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: recommended USB drives?

Hi David,

I tend to scout Amazon for deals then bulk buy. I did get one dodgy batch, but the thing about Amazon, there's a good process for getting it replaced, which Amazon takes seriously, so any suppliers connected to them do as well. I

I don't stick to a particular brand. USB 3.0 is ideal, but I've gone down to 2.0 and still been able to play files easy from it.

I'd be wary of dropping your price too low for buying USB and some can be prone to failure. It's why I like using Amazon as a glance of a review section can give some idea as to quality of the product.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2019, 03:57 AM   #3
Major Player

I buy plain white Kingston USB drives direct from Amazon in 16 and 32gb sizes and I use these for video and for high res photo files.

I use a Dymo labeller, black print on white background adding the clients name and wedding date plus my website and a description of what is on the drive.

I find these much more appropriate than the ridiculous USB drives that many retailers offer. They remind me of easter eggs (do you get that in the USA?) - massive packaging with tiny product hidden inside somewhere.

I still supply on DVD as well as its still popular. I buy DVD cases in bulk from Riviera Multimedia in the UK and print my own photo sleeves. The USB drive goes in the same box as the DVD

I supply MP4 files on NTFS by default so there is no question of having to split files. I supply at 1080p and use a high rate of 20 max 14 average to make these somewhat future-proof, what with 8k starting to pop up. The 1080p looks gorgeous upscaled on my two LG 4k TV's anyway. No client queries what so ever so far :- )

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2019, 07:50 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Banner View Post
We've talked about this periodically but time passes and things change so....
What USB drives do you guys recommend for USB delivery?
Any sites where you can get a quantity to save money?

Right now I'm interested in this for dance recitals but eventually for weddings too.
Buy usb encasements and print an insert. 8-16gb $4-5 Sandisk usb flash drive or equivalent.

I do like the fancier packaging for weddings. Its a classy touch a bride will appreciate and remember.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; April 4th, 2019 at 08:22 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2019, 02:29 AM   #5
Inner Circle

We have a company here who does quite a novel package, It's a 6 page photo album but the the middle pages are cut out to take two DVD's and two USB's ...you then add a couple of 5x7 prints using the existing blank photo pages to create a unique package that is less likely to be thrown in the cupboard after the first viewing. Dunno if they still do them but it did add perceived value to a wedding package
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2019, 09:34 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks everyone.
Most of the quantities of USB drives seem to be unfamiliar brand names. Do you have any links for the brands you use?
I don't want them failing and making unhappy customers yet also don't want to pay a lot since it's a small budget job.

Later I'm going to look into these nicer options you listed for weddings.
Old May 16th, 2019, 07:48 AM   #7
Major Player

Well I bought some 16GB PNY USB flash drives at walmart on clearance for $3 each for my first batch. And I ordered this vinpower 1:7 standalone USB duplicator.
https://www.amazon.com/Vinpower-Digi...U81U/din02c-20

I'd prefer a 1:15 but these things get expensive fast. So I figure 1:7 not tieing up my computer will be good enough. I anticipate using USB drives increasingly more in the future so I think having a duplicator to save time will pay off.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 03:15 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Banner View Post
Well I bought some 16GB PNY USB flash drives at walmart on clearance for $3 each for my first batch. And I ordered this vinpower 1:7 standalone USB duplicator.
https://www.amazon.com/Vinpower-Digital-USBShark-Standalone-Duplicator/dp/B002DGU81U/din02c-20

I'd prefer a 1:15 but these things get expensive fast. So I figure 1:7 not tieing up my computer will be good enough. I anticipate using USB drives increasingly more in the future so I think having a duplicator to save time will pay off.
Let us know how that duplicator works.

I stumbled upon a great place to buy bulk. https://bulkmemorycards.com
Their prices are fantastic! I order 50 SanDisk USB Ultra 3.0 flash drives $3.55/per. I was worried the price was too good to be true. They came in today they look and perform like the real deal. 28mbs instead of the 5mbs I was getting before. It only takes 5 minutes to copy a 10gb file that previously took 25 minutes.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2019, 09:23 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post

I stumbled upon a great place to buy bulk. https://bulkmemorycards.com
Their prices are fantastic! I order 50 SanDisk USB Ultra 3.0 flash drives $3.55/per. I was worried the price was too good to be true. They came in today they look and perform like the real deal. 28mbs instead of the 5mbs I was getting before. It only takes 5 minutes to copy a 10gb file that previously took 25 minutes.
Wow thanks! That sounds like a great place to buy!
I got the duplicator today.
I'll give an update on the duplicator but it will be a few weeks til then as I shoot the event in about a week
Old July 12th, 2019, 11:15 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
I have used my duplicator a couple times now (Vinpower Digital USB Shark 1:7) and so far it works great. It's physically larger than I expected (width/depth).
It's nice it actually comes with a printed manual for old timers like me.
Once concerning detail is it has a big warning about electrostatic damage and actually comes with a static discharge wrist band attachment that is tells you to wear when attaching/removing USB drives or touching the unit. Apparently they are really strict on returns too so I plan on always using the band and keeping the original packaging.

It's easy to use. Has a menu screen and works totally standalone. Being able to totally free up my computers when copying USB drives is nice. In the coming months/years I expect to move more and more away from DVDs and Blu-rays and more to USB so this should be a good investment (I hope)
Old July 17th, 2019, 04:13 PM   #11
Inner Circle

good to hear. I’d imagine static discharge should only be an issue in dry cold winter months. Depending where you live. Here in New England occasionally zap through a usb drive can cause a computer to shutdown, but even the it only happens on my all metal Samsung flash drive. I can see erring on side caution for expensive equipment
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques