DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Please take a moment to let me know what you think. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/53884-please-take-moment-let-me-know-what-you-think.html)

Marion Abrams November 5th, 2005 07:23 PM

Please take a moment to let me know what you think.

Ok, I've got my first sample posted on my web site. I would call it documentary style. All shot with one camera, no staged or set up shots. My goal was to tell this couple's unique story. The video is about 8 minutes and includes everything from prep through reception. I posted it in two parts to keep from having a huge file.

I am eager to hear what you all think, and what suggestions you have. I know it's long, and I really appreciate your time. To view it go to www.tweedrivervideo.com and scroll down to the samples button.

Thanks again!
Marion

Christopher Cruz November 6th, 2005 01:20 AM

looks good

hey there! I'm still pretty much a newbie but from the videos i've put together and all the demos out there i've seen, your work looks pretty good!

Marion Abrams November 6th, 2005 11:39 AM

Thanks for taking the time to watch it. I know it's kind of long. Again, love to haer what people think. Style? Pacing? 1 camera?

Craig Seeman November 6th, 2005 05:16 PM

Great! Good use of camera movement and close-ups. The pictures tell the story. So many folks are heavy on slow mo and soft glows. I like the fact that you used fx lightly and only when appropriate to the story. I like seeing real life real time motion. Good use of natural sound mixed with music.

Nice open in the "picture frame" effect. What photo frame package are you using?

You shot the ceremony with one camera? You seemed to be in alot of different places. Great for highlights like this but how do give them a full version of the ceremony with so much camera movement?

Marion Abrams November 6th, 2005 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman

Nice open in the "picture frame" effect. What photo frame package are you using?

You shot the ceremony with one camera? You seemed to be in alot of different places. Great for highlights like this but how do give them a full version of the ceremony with so much camera movement?

Glad you liked it. It's an old photoframe plug in (5 or 6 years old) I'll check the name and post it.

I spoke to the B&G. We wanted to work with one camera, so I gave them 2 options. Either one static camera position, or allowing me to move around and get multiple angles. We decided that I would leave the camera running for audio through the whole ceremony, but that I would move around to get the best coverage. I mapped out all the camera positions during the rehearsal. I did not do quite as well with that as I had hoped since I was 8+ months pregnant when I shot this.

The deliverables for this job are the 8minute edit on DVD, and a VHS copy of the raw footage. I've tried to convince the few brides I've worked with so far that they'll get more use out of the 8minute cut. They can enjoy it with friends and family over and over. Realisticly they are the only ones who will want to watch the full unedited footage.

Guest November 6th, 2005 09:11 PM

Very nice.

Intresting wedding... a sweet blend of cultures.

Just curious: What did it cost for the music rights?

Marion Abrams November 6th, 2005 10:35 PM

Music

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Newcomb
Just curious: What did it cost for the music rights?

This is an interesting question. As I said, I am new to the wedding business. When I doing commercial work I am always very careful to use rights cleared material. This is only my second wedding this summer, and the other did not require any music. For this one I used buy out music for the ceremony, but used a few songs the bride requested elsewhere. I was hoping that since this was only for home viewing by the bride and her family this would not be a problem. I have had many corporate clients try to use uncleared music and I have refused to do so.

Is there a consensus on this? Are there spoken and unspoken rules? Have I broken them? I see many videos for private use with music that has obviously not been cleared. What about the first dance in particular? It seems to me that brides realy want to see their first dance with the music they danced to.

Guest November 6th, 2005 11:41 PM

[/QUOTE]It seems to me that brides realy want to see their first dance with the music they danced to.[/QUOTE]

Maybe not... if their First Dance Music was The Hokey Pokey.

I didn't mean to open a can of worms here. The rest of your project was so classy I just assumed you bought the rights, and I was curious what they cost.

Marion Abrams November 7th, 2005 07:34 PM

No suggestions? I've learned so much from seeing other's samples and reading the discussions that followed.

Is the clip I posted too long to watch?

Thanks again.