DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Doing wedding today need a little advice.. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/54256-doing-wedding-today-need-little-advice.html)

Joel Corral November 12th, 2005 10:28 AM

Doing wedding today need a little advice..

I normally don't do weddings but i am doing a favor for a friend of a friend. (I produce a weekly Christian telecast)

My question is,

During Hors d' oeuvres through dinner, before dancing, what should i shoot? I know I sound clueless but it doesn’t seem to have a ton of action during those few boring hours. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joel

Ken Hendrickson November 12th, 2005 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Corral
I normally don't do weddings but i am doing a favor for a friend of a friend. (I produce a weekly Christian telecast)

My question is,

During Hors d' oeuvres through dinner, before dancing, what should i shoot? I know I sound clueless but it doesn’t seem to have a ton of action during those few boring hours. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joel

I shoot the bride interacting with the guests if any. Other then that, I normally take a breather since nothing is really going on.

Joel Corral November 12th, 2005 11:03 AM

good idea thanks,

joel
any others???

Marion Abrams November 12th, 2005 01:33 PM

I try to avoid shots of people eating. Otherwise maybe some shots of the venue, wide shots of the hall where they are eating, table decorations etc....

Joel Corral November 12th, 2005 01:57 PM

ok.. thanks..

i'm off to the job.

joel

Matt Sawyers November 15th, 2005 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marion Abrams
I try to avoid shots of people eating. Otherwise maybe some shots of the venue, wide shots of the hall where they are eating, table decorations etc....

I am with Marion on the eating thing. Actually I am totally with him on it. People hate being shot eating (that sounds funny...lol) But I get decoration shots, depth of view shots like b&g & flowers, kids running around, flower girl falling asleep, bride & groom interacting with guests, I sometimes do a time thing...like show several shots through the editing sequence of like a candle slowly burning down or a cake slowly disappearing, stuff like that. Sometime I sit down and eat cake...interview people about the b&g...
~Matt

Joel Corral November 15th, 2005 03:38 PM

well i did it...and all i have to say is people who do this for a living are CRAZY! i couldn't get paid enough to do it again. it went smooth, its just a lot of hard work...man it sure is different from studio work, you really have to be ready to improvise at any moment...

thanks for the advise...

joel

Matt Sawyers November 16th, 2005 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Corral
well i did it...and all i have to say is people who do this for a living are CRAZY! i couldn't get paid enough to do it again. it went smooth, its just a lot of hard work...man it sure is different from studio work, you really have to be ready to improvise at any moment...

thanks for the advise...

joel

HAHAHa! Ah yes, I thought that too when I did my first wedding...wait till you start editing...Actually after thinking about it awhile I found it was quite an experience and if I could do this I probably could do anything....;) But hey 1 or 2 weddings a month produces a little extra money for college; its not too bad...hope you had fun....

Steven Davis November 16th, 2005 10:30 AM

People are crazy for doing weddings, it helps if you enjoy them in general. We have blast at weddings. I don't mean that I do any table dancing while juggling, but we do a lot of interaction with people making it a festive feeling to the video.

And yes, it's a ton of work.