DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Freeze frame (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/54632-freeze-frame.html)

Dante Waters November 18th, 2005 03:30 PM

Freeze frame

How do you freeze a frame in final Cut Pro?? For example someone's moving toward a door as they grab the handle the shot is stopped for about 3secs and then continued on there after...

Tom Tomkowiak November 18th, 2005 05:33 PM

1. Position the playhead on the desired frame
2. Modify->Make Freeze Frame (or, keyboard Shift N). This will open the freeze frame in the Viewer.
3. Set the time you want in the upper left corner of the Viewer
4. Export->UsingQuickTime Conversion
5. Give the frame a name in the Save As window, then select the destination where this file will be saved.
6. Select Still Image in the Format pop-up menu
7. Click on the Options button and select the format you want (jpeg, tiff, etc.)
8. Save

Import the file into the Browser, then place it in the Timeline.

Patrick Pike November 18th, 2005 06:06 PM

Heres a different solution that I think is faster (its all done in FCP). Im sorry that the explanation doesnt translate well to writen word.

1. Make a cut in the timeline where you want the freeze frame to begin, then advance one frame and make another cut. You will end up with three separate clips, "before the freeze", the "freeze frame" (only 1 frame for now), and "after the freeze".

2. Advance the "after the freeze" clip forward to where you want it (in this case, 2:29).

3. Move the "freeze frame" to a different layer the timelime for the time being.

4. Set In and Out point to cover the gap between the two clips "before the freeze" and "after the freeze". You will set the In point directly after "before the freeze" and the Out point directly before "after the freeze"

5. Now drag the "freeze frame" into the canvas window and choose Fit to Fill. FCP will scale the "freeze frame" to the In and Out points that you previously set.

Good luck!

Peter Jefferson November 19th, 2005 05:18 AM

reading over this... im glad i moved to vegas...
no seriously... Vegas is 2 steps...
and its far less convoluted

Craig Seeman November 19th, 2005 10:50 AM

Peter, they do make it sound convoluted.

I'm an FCP user (although I certainly think Vegas is excellent).

Simply "Shift N" over the frame and Insert or Overwrite where desired.

To change the duration simply mark a new outpoint in the Viewer (playback window).

Don't forget to deinterlace if need be if you're using it for Print work. Then you export it (or you can simply export and deinterlace in Photoshop). I doubt Vegas is any easier.

Dante Waters November 19th, 2005 11:23 PM

WOW man... you guys are good... I'm kinda looking into vegas (if ever I go back to windows), Glen makes it look soo superior, but then again garbage in garbage out...

Peter Jefferson November 20th, 2005 05:01 AM

hey craig, thanx for that tip, im sure alot of Mac users will apreciate that :)

as for vegas, well ive been a uiser since its inception and ive tried them all (MAc and PC based.. ) I even used to distribute these NLEs as a day job, but in all , each NLE WILL do what u need it to do.. some are jsut a lil easier than others to get ur head around...