Interview to share at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 21st, 2005, 12:23 PM   #1
Major Player

Interview to share

Finally I have the interview I spoke about a few weeks back.
This was actually a one day edit (didn't spend much time), I now realize that if I took more time with them they can turn out a lot better. Glen and everyone comment away...

BTW Glen I attempted the widescreen plugin :-)

http://tinyurl.com/9zoxz
Dante Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 05:22 PM   #2
Major Player

I guess no one can either view the clip, or care to even watch it...
Old November 21st, 2005, 06:46 PM   #3
New Boot

Having problems with the file. I d/l it and it says it is lacking a compressor or something like that. Checked for any updates to qt player and needed none. So I must assume there is something wrong with your file.
Dennis Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 06:50 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I like the kids introing themselves at the top. I thought some of the audio fades cliped the tails of words on those intros. Good framing most of the time. It's hard to get it perfect on everyone for every shot on those kinds of shoots. On a couple of shots I thought they were too small in the frame but I know that's hard to do at times. Nice title movement.

My hunch you used the H.264 variant of Quicktime to compress it so that's why people are having problems. If they update to Quicktime 7 it should work fine for them.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 08:59 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman
I like the kids introing themselves at the top. I thought some of the audio fades cliped the tails of words on those intros. Good framing most of the time. It's hard to get it perfect on everyone for every shot on those kinds of shoots. On a couple of shots I thought they were too small in the frame but I know that's hard to do at times. Nice title movement.

My hunch you used the H.264 variant of Quicktime to compress it so that's why people are having problems. If they update to Quicktime 7 it should work fine for them.

I am dying to find a system that both windows and apple users can play fair with... I wonder if I used flash if that will help?
Old November 21st, 2005, 11:00 PM   #6
Trustee

I am a Windows user and it worked for me. I have recently updated Quicktime, but I don't like that they seem to force imusic with it now. I think the h.264 codec only works with the new Quicktime.

I found the quick fades to black that cut off the end of people's sentences to be distracting. The edit seems to be in a hurry to get people off the screen and leave titles up for quite a while. Reverse the priority of titles and people and it would flow more smoothly. Also, too many fades to black are very distracting. Work on other transition types. A fade to black is mostly appropriate when switching from one section/subject to another. Towards the end, the lyrics of the music were fighting with the dialogue of the people being interviewed.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:15 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quicktime, Flash, Windows Media are available for both Mac and PC. In all cases it's a free download. Many PC users haven't updated to Quicktime 7. I guess Free is too high a price to pay.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:27 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault
I am a Windows user and it worked for me. I have recently updated Quicktime, but I don't like that they seem to force imusic with it now. I think the h.264 codec only works with the new Quicktime.

I found the quick fades to black that cut off the end of people's sentences to be distracting. The edit seems to be in a hurry to get people off the screen and leave titles up for quite a while. Reverse the priority of titles and people and it would flow more smoothly. Also, too many fades to black are very distracting. Work on other transition types. A fade to black is mostly appropriate when switching from one section/subject to another. Towards the end, the lyrics of the music were fighting with the dialogue of the people being interviewed.

Marcus thank you, it was actually used this weekend and done rather quickly I feel I need to do it over I am currently working on an edit right now for this promo. Will include before and after shots.

:-)
Old November 22nd, 2005, 10:57 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman
Quicktime, Flash, Windows Media are available for both Mac and PC. In all cases it's a free download. Many PC users haven't updated to Quicktime 7. I guess Free is too high a price to pay.
Some content is incompatible with the updated Quicktime. I had updated but found that sample content with a book on Nuendo wouldn't play unless I downgraded back to 6.5.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques