Time to reflect & learn.. So who's the best? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 1st, 2005, 09:11 AM   #31
Major Player

best at what?

Do you mean best at wedding video. AFAICS all the links in this thread point to highlight clips that do little to showcase the skills unique to wedding video. There was a post on VU recently about a book for grooms, very negative about video the guy sounded like he had an ax to grind, but one thing he did say, which I think this thread kind of supports is that "wedding videogarphers try to turn something they hate (wedding video) into something they love (movie directing)".
Doug Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 11:45 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bennett
"wedding videogarphers try to turn something they hate (wedding video) into something they love (movie directing)".
If you mean the old style traditional documentary "home" movie look, than yes, I hate that... who doesn't. But if you are reffering to just the idea of weddings, well thats a different story, I personally love the subject of weddings; and like anything, why not make it a good movie, tell a story, show emotion, how about let's make it desireable to watch. I love what I do (and I'm not just talking about the end-product);

although I am not planning on doing weddings for more than 5 years :)
Michael Padilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 12:02 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Do you mean best at wedding video. AFAICS all the links in this thread point to highlight clips that do little to showcase the skills unique to wedding video. There was a post on VU recently about a book for grooms, very negative about video the guy sounded like he had an ax to grind, but one thing he did say, which I think this thread kind of supports is that "wedding videogarphers try to turn something they hate (wedding video) into something they love (movie directing)".

That is one person's narrow minded negative view and if he causes some people not to get videos , so be it. Their loss.
All kinds of video sells, from an uncle Charlie basement bargain to the Cinematic Multi shooter setup. From the MTV to the candid..
If you selling videos with you currant style and enjoy the work..and happy with the money you make. If your clients are happy and send you referrals and tell you they LOVE IT. Then what else matters. Don't fix something that isn't broke.
Old December 1st, 2005, 12:18 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Padilla
although I am not planning on doing weddings for more than 5 years :)
touche Michael

:)
Old December 1st, 2005, 12:31 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
touche Michael

:)
It's not really something to applaud, It just what's planned; as in I bought a "real" steadicam rig not so much for weddings (although I use it all the time) but rather for the practice; I would love to do steadicam work for indi/feature film. I do music videos for the clients and put so much focus on the little details because that's practice too; as in I would like to direct, film & edit (MTV style) music videos. I got the xl2 (not only) for the interchangable lens system & shoulder mount/pro-style evf and 24P, and I shoot in 24P. I've got a long way to go, so 5 years doing something I also love (but not dream about) is great for now, so while I am doing it, you better be sure I'm going to do my best and be the best sooner or later.

I feel very blessed to be able to make a living filming weddings, and if its what I'd always dreamed about, there would be no reason to stop.
Old December 1st, 2005, 01:00 PM   #36
Major Player

absolutely right David

making a living is job 1. But improving a product can sometimes involve more than tweaking. 90% of weddings don't have video, and 90% of videos AFAICS are sold at a price that could not possibly support a professional business.
Old December 1st, 2005, 01:13 PM   #37
Major Player

Michael - I thought you were joking

sorry for misunderstanding
Old December 1st, 2005, 02:25 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
sorry for misunderstanding
OH man don't worry about it! Thanks though!
Old December 5th, 2005, 04:10 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Michael love your work. in my opinion i think you are by far the best out of that bunch.

Quick question, What is the name of that song on your show-reel piece? its ver poweful...
Dennis Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 04:50 PM   #40
Major Player

many thanks... im in the middle of totally revamping the site with new stuff; I'll let you know when its up. Should be late this week.

As for the song... I got that from a friend, and to be totally honest I don't know if I can release that info. Sorry, but yeah... music (for me anyway) makes all the difference; when I edit to a song I just don't like or has no beat (or too much - HardROCK... go figure?), things just never turn out right, I get all frustrated and start doing other things because I just don't want to edit, I end up spending way too much time on the project, and then I'll sometimes call them up and ask for a different song :)

When you watch a feature film, listen to the songs they choose, often times they are alternative/modern songs that you may never hear on the radio... but they are often the best songs to edit to.
Old December 7th, 2005, 04:48 PM   #41
Regular Crew

I think any list of great wedding videographers has to begin with Loi Bahn from Bluecore Media. His work is inspiring, emotional, and flawless and his editing is clean without alot of clutter.

I'll echo what Glen said. There is no way to truly say who the best is because of the wide range of styles out there. The thing the best all have in common is that they try new things and never stop evolving. That's what inspires me about them.

Chris Watson
Watson Videography
www.dynamovideo.com
Chris M. Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2005, 03:34 AM   #42
Major Player

just posted new site

Hey all... :)

I just (mostly) finished our new website with more work posted.
Although for the time being the quicktime files will probably only work when using Firefox on a PC, or if you're on a Mac it should work no problem; I'll correct the issue soon so that IE users can view it.

As always, your feedback & constructive critizism is greatly appreciated (for the site/marketing & client work)

Thanks guys!!

oh yeah... the url is www.visualmasterpiece.com
Old January 3rd, 2006, 08:22 PM   #43
Trustee

Wow, iris cinema feels very much "film" style. Their style matches the company name very well. I enjoyed watching em.Very different.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 03:50 AM   #44
Major Player

Yeah, that's what I thought... they rock!!
For someone that aspires to film/indiefilm style stuff... I love it!
Old January 4th, 2006, 04:03 AM   #45
Trustee

I cant watch your demos Michael.. I'll try it out at home tonight.I see the quicktime screen load n it stays there. Nothing else...
Sean Seah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques