DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Should I switch cameras? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/55411-should-i-switch-cameras.html)

Joe Simon December 2nd, 2005 05:02 PM

Should I switch cameras?

I am currently using the Sony PD170 and VX2100 to film weddings. I was considering switching over to HD but it seems like its such a mess with that format right now. So I really want to wait till a true HDDVD is available. I am thinking about getting 2 of the DVX100a's untill HD time comes. Do you guys think it is worth investing in this camera? Would the quality be much better then the Sonys? Or should I just wait untill HD gets figured out?

Craig Seeman December 2nd, 2005 06:20 PM

I use Sony PD150/170. I'm running a business. I don't have a demand for HD right now. I like the new Panasonic 100B but it's not going to really make me any more money than my 170. When BluRay and HDDVD hit the market (Burners as well as Players) and the number of HD Players and TV sets get to the point where I see the demand, I'll move to HD.

By then (figure around a year from now) the next generation HDV Cameras will be out, tapeless DVCProHD will begin to sort itself out and the cameras will be beter than they are now.

Why not save the $3500 you'd spend on the 100B or the nearly $5000 for the HDV camera (not including deck and hardware card so you actually color correct HDV) and the lost time on the renders and downconverts and make your decision when it seems like a profitable business move.

IF you feel you can raise your prices NOW and clients will pay for it NOW, then go to HDV.

If you NEED a new camera now HDV cameras have 16:9 chips that can shoot that in SD and clients may like that now though and you'll have HD when the demand happens (although the newer cameras will be better). On the other hand if you think clients will pay for a 24p look then the 100B is a good choice.

If you're shooting local cable spots and corporate videos you'll have additional considerations.

Edward Troxel December 2nd, 2005 06:47 PM

I believe I would just stick with the cameras you have until you are ready to go to HD.

Mike Cook December 2nd, 2005 08:10 PM

Personally I am waiting for MPviaMH imaging system, it really is the best. It's just around the corner (2 years) and will make everything you have useless. Even true filmies fear it's arrival.

The "Max Profit via Marketing Hype" system is sure to answer all you needs and make you rich. Just wait, you'll buy it too!

Mike

Joe Simon December 3rd, 2005 12:59 PM

I like my current set up I just didn't know if the 100b would have a better look then my cameras. 24P would be nice although I would probably use 30 a lot more. I like the film look as well as a bit more color saturation. Thanks for all the input.

Boyd Ostroff December 3rd, 2005 01:18 PM

Wow, do you really think the average young couple appreciates nuances like "film look" and 24p? Sorry, I don't do this kind of work so maybe I'm just not up to speed here. If you do want that sort of thing but are otherwise satisfied with 4:3 video on the VX and PD, then why not use one of the many software packages in post to convert to 24p/30p and other film-like attributes?

Patrick Pike December 3rd, 2005 01:45 PM

Maybe I have wacky clients. Lately, my last three bookings (for next year) have requested HD. This past year I dont think I filmed on wedding in Full Screen. I think things are changing, but I'm still not convinced that what is currently available is the best solution.